• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Are all PNW beers overhopped....

Some time back, we had a fairly animated debate over whether beers brewed in the Pacific Northwest are overhopped and basically uniformly unbalanced. Any opinion on this?

Full disclosure: I'm a Seattle native and an unabashed fan of beers made in this region.

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

LOL Tighe!!!

And...would you consider Boddington's an example of a "hoppy" beer?

I don't think I can get Boddington's in a bottle, so it doesn't really exist...

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

For starters, I don't remember Boddington's being hoppy - more like bland.

As to PNW beers, no they are not all overhopped. There are many fine beers from the PNW that I don't consider hoppy - Pyramid Hefeweizen, Pyramid Tilted Kilt Scotch Ale, Pyramid Apricot Ale, Dick's Belgian Double, Dick's Silk Lady, Dick's Double Diamond Winter Ale, Dick's Barleywine, Maritime Pacific Jolly Roger Christmas Ale, Bridgeport Old Knucklehead Barleywine, Deschutes Jubelale, Full Sail Wassail, Hair of the Dog Rose, Hair of the Dog Doggie Claws, Rogue Chamomile Ale, Rogue Half-a-Weizen, Rogue Honey Cream Ale, Rogue Yellow Snow, Widmer Der Uber Tuber, Widmer Hefeweizen, Pelican Bridal Ale, Pelican Kiwanda Cream Ale, Siletz Spruce Ale, Laurelwood Vinter Varmer, Lucky Lab Ludwig's Alt, McMenamin's Kris Kringle, Far West Ireland Belgian Tripple, and so on and so on.......

happybeer.gif

"There's a whole lotta things I ain't never done, but I ain't never had too much fun" Commander Cody

Obviously, you truly are a beer expert, since you agree with me! :wink:

Thanks for the response.