• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Beer Ignorant

Okay, here's a curveball. I know little to nothing about beer. I tend to prefer wine with meals. Every meal. In fact, if anybody could suggest a good Fruit Loop wine, my quest would nearly be complete :rolleyes:.

I do, however, like an occasional beer, especially when I'm grilling or eating spicy food. I'll generally have Dos Equis at our favorite Mexican joint or Blackened Voodoo when we eat at the pseudo-Cajun place down the street. I also enjoy Bass every once in a while.

Are these decent beers or am I a rube?

If I am a rube, what would you recommend based on my current preferences?

Thanks!

Chad

Chad Ward

An Edge in the Kitchen

William Morrow Cookbooks

www.chadwrites.com

Are these decent beers or am I a rube?

Let's just say uninformed. Believe it or not many beer enthusiasts and a few chefs out there, have come to the conclusion that beer is quite often the better choice as an accompaniment to food. I can't enter that argument first because I don't care for wine (yes, yes, I am a Luddite) and second I'm not much of a foodie.

To really learn more about it, I must again suggest reading The Brewmasters' Table by Garrett Oliver (there's nothing in it for me). It is a great way to learn about beer styles AND foods that go with them.

"There's a whole lotta things I ain't never done, but I ain't never had too much fun" Commander Cody

Rube it is! :laugh:

Okay, so I'll be picking up a copy of Garrett Oliver's The Brewmaster's Table: Discovering the Pleasures of Real Beer with Real Food.

Based on what I've been drinking, what would be a better beer in the same stylistic range?

Chad

Chad Ward

An Edge in the Kitchen

William Morrow Cookbooks

www.chadwrites.com

Well Bass is just a Pale Ale, isn't it? There are literally hundreds of those. Bass certainly isn't bad though... it's just "safe".

Dos Equis XX is... I think... a Lager.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

Find the closest Micro-brewery and go order a sampler. You'll be presented with 5 or more shots of the different beers they serve. Pick the one you like, order a pint of it and enjoy. Try to find out what style it is and then start trying other beers of similar style.

You know, all the good wine makers drink beer.

Edited by WineMiles (log)

Andy Szmidt

WineMiles.com - great wines! low prices!

The early bird may get the worm. But it is the second mouse that gets the cheese.

Blackened Voodoo is a dark lager. Here's a great list of other dark lagers to choose from: Top 50 Dark Lagers

Dos Equis is referred to as an amber or Vienna lager. Check out these other beers in the same style to find more to try: Top 50 Vienna/Amber Lagers

And, Bass Ale is designated a pale ale (and definitely a shadow of its former self). Comparative pale ales to choose from: Top 50 Pale Ales

Choose your poison!

lager.gif

"There's a whole lotta things I ain't never done, but I ain't never had too much fun" Commander Cody

Thanks... don't know what I was thinking, but I thought I remembered seeing India Pale Ale written on the bottle.

BTW, I like it as an alternative to swill in restaurants or bars that don't offer microbrews!

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

As we all know, you can put anything on a label but it doesn't necessarily make it so.

Based on BJCP (Beer Judge Certification Program) guidelines, Bass falls into the Bitter and English Pale Ale category - reference BJCP Style Guide

From the AOB (Association of Brewers) style guideline for 2004, it seems to fall into the Classic English-Style Pale Ale category.

The ABV (alcohol by volume) and IBUs (International Bitterness Unit) are a little low to be classified an India Pale Ale.

Many of you probably know this but just in case you didn't, Bass is now owned by Coors.

Edited by beergirl (log)

Many of you probably know this but just in case you didn't, Bass is now owned by Coors.

Oh dear, get ready for the Bass Twins; gee, maybe they'll put them in bikinis!

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"