• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chemotherapy

NeroW

Buttercup,

Is protein powder an option? I cooked meals for a friend who was undergoing chemo and she appreciated the protein drinks lots. I don't remember the source of the protein, this was about 10 years ago. She had breast cancer and so wasn't confronted with the problems your father faces.

I hope this has been of some help, my thoughts go out to your family.

If only Jack Nicholson could have narrated my dinner, it would have been perfect.

Protein powders certainly. Have you tried a soft foods, minced diet? Or making protein rich soups and pureeing? My mother also cannot digest very easily and practically lived on ensure until we changed her foods to very soft, minced things, like soft boiled eggs, the whites minced, egg salad, etc. We found by breaking the food down, she was able to eat a bit more and digest it. She still eats very little at a time, but gets most of it into her in 5 or six stages. Definately don't heat the Ensure.

Edited by Marlene (log)

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.