• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Beer & food

Beer is an excellent drink all by itself, but in spite of the fact that it's more filling than wine, it's also a great accompanyment to food. In some instances it's better than wine. In Spain, where they make excellent and inexpensive bubly wine (Cava) and produce great aperitif wines in Jerez and Sanlucar de Barrameda, I've found the most common aperitif in good restaurants to be a pilsner or lager beer, although the more serious the restaurant, the more likely they will continue with wine later in the meal.

Have you given much thought to pairing food and beer? How strong is your interest in food? Most wine connoisseurs tend to appreciate good food, although I've run into more than my share of those who feel food should be background to wine and will choose a restaurant with a great wine list over one with great food. Any thoughts about beer connoisseurs and their relationship to what they eat? Are there really fine restaurants with great beer lists? Actually, you should just feel free to expound on any aspect of the the title combination--beer & food.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

Well, admittedly I'm not much of a foodie. I appreciate good food but it's not really my focus. That said, I think we own almost every beer-themed cookbook published. I've used them rarely as there is little cooking done at home.

We often choose to eat where we know we can get a beer we consider worthy. There are many good restaurants with very good beer lists scattered around the world. A couple of our favorites are Monk's Cafe (Philadelphia, PA) and Higgin's (Portland, OR). I'm not sure what you consider "fine". We don't usually indulge in the very expensive, must be dressed to impress types of restaurants as we don't travel with that type of apparel!

Probably the best book I've read in a long while about beer and food was published last year. The Brewmasters' Table by Garrett Oliver is well worth the read.

"There's a whole lotta things I ain't never done, but I ain't never had too much fun" Commander Cody

Any thoughts about beer connoisseurs and their relationship to what they eat? Are there really fine restaurants with great beer lists? Actually, you should just feel free to expound on any aspect of the the title combination--beer & food.

I actually think this is a great topic and should be discussed on the beer forum. So... if I may hijack this thread...

I think there are certain foods that demand to be paired with beer, while others pair better with wine. Spicy foods, Thai, Mex, Szechuan, Indian seem a natural with beer. But I ain't having beer with foie gras, I'll tell you that. Or really with any French food. Or Italian.

I also love to have beer just by itself, whereas with wine, I don't usually have strictly by itself, unless its having a glass while making dinner but then its still in conjunction with food. IMO this could go on and on...

Born Free, Now Expensive

I had waited to respond to malarky's comment on foie gras. I was hoping to find a copy of the menu from a beer dinner at Monk's Cafe in Philly a while back. Five courses, ten beers.

I had hoped to recall the beers that accompanied the foie gras dish that Adam presented.

Unfortunately, I am only able to pass on the suggestions from Garrett Oliver's book.

Foie gras: Sweet doppelbocks, sweet barley wines, off-dry strong dark Trappist or abbey ale, off-dry framboise and kreik, stronger Flanders red and brow ales, strong Scotch ales.

Any wine suggestions for carrot cake? The rostiness body of an imperial stout work well... like a strong cup of dark roast coffee, or the hoppy bitterness of a double IPA contrasts the sweetness of cream cheese icing and cleanses the tongue in anticipation of the next bite.

I admit that I am uninformed about wine. We all make choices based on our knowledge and experience. There is no right or wrong, just preferences.

Life's a journey... pack a cooler!

I had hoped to recall the beers that accompanied the foie gras dish that Adam presented.

I found it and several folders from trips that haven't been gone through/cleaned out - now I have work to do. It was at the Monk's Cafe 2002 Holiday Dinner. The second course was foie gras salad (foie gras, roasted beets and gogonzola cheese with Aass Juleol dressing). The beers served with that course were Aass Juleol and Gouden Carolus Speciale.

"There's a whole lotta things I ain't never done, but I ain't never had too much fun" Commander Cody

very interesting. I can see some of these working. I worry about a strong malty profile clashing with the richness of the foie. I wonder if you could do a reduction sauce using one of these... This could be a fun experiment. :smile:

Born Free, Now Expensive

But I ain't having beer with foie gras, I'll tell you that.
This could be a fun experiment.

What a difference a couple of days makes!

I have no intention as a guest on this forum this week of trying to convert anyone from grape to barley. I just believe that beer deserves a prominent place on the table as well.

I know this is a tough crowd. Thank you. You have made my day... and so close to quitting time. :biggrin:

Sante

Life's a journey... pack a cooler!