• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cumin scented Potatoes

Good morning all

For lunch today I am making a very simple dish. Cumin scented potatoes. Oil is seasoned with cumin, ginger and garlic. Potatoes and red bell peppers are sauteed. then freshly ground coriander, turmeric, red chili and salt.

Cover and cook until potatoes are done -- and its ready to eat

i7100.jpg

What could be easier?

What is your simple and charming potato recipe? Do share?

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice

Gee thanks. Its only 8:50 AM and now I'm salivating and starving. :wacko:

Thats it, I'm making aloo ghobi tonight. :wub:

I don't have any Indian potato dishes yet under my belt, but I will by tonight :laugh: *note to self, use cumin, use cumin!*

Edited to add:

I forgot! I did make curried greens and potatoes. That was pretty simple. Darn tasty too!

Edited by nessa (log)

We do West Indian potatoes and channa, cubed potatoes cooked with turmeric and jeera with chickpeas added in at the end and heated through. I have been known to eat this for lunch everyday in a week. (We had smashed potatoes with sour cream last night...but I will definitely have to make potatoes and channa soon.)

Victoria Raschke, aka ms. victoria

Eat Your Heart Out: food memories, recipes, rants and reviews

We make a simple "Kalo-Jeere Aloor Torkari" (Potatoes with Nigella Seeds) to be had with loochis (which is the Bengali version of pooris and made from AP flour, not atta) or porothas.

Heat oil or ghee or a mixture of both

Add a very little bit of Kalo-jeere (aka Kalonji, Nigella seeds)

Add some diced potatoes.

Add salt to taste.

Stir around for a while.

Add some slit green chiles.

Set heat to low, cover and cook for 5-6 minutes until potatoes are done.

That's it. No other spices, etc. Made right, this is very very good.

monica: i know what i'm making for dinner tonight!

i have aloos and red peppers waiting.

has anyone tried making this exact same recipe with

SWEET potatoes rather than regular aloo?

it's REALLY good.

i've been experimenting lately

with substituting sweet potatoes into regular aloo recipes

and most of them come out super yummy.

milagai

We make a simple "Kalo-Jeere Aloor Torkari" (Potatoes with Nigella Seeds) to be had with loochis (which is the Bengali version of pooris and made from AP flour, not atta) or porothas.

Add some diced potatoes.

Add salt to taste.

Stir around for a while.

This is one of my all time favorites. A good friend in Bangalore (she was Bengali) used to make it all the time

(CHeaper too.. can you believe one red bell pepper cost me $2.99... ouch)

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice

Alur Borta is simple enough and I love it. Boil potatoes then peel them. Mash them with chopped green chilies, cilantro, salt and good mustard oil. Sometimes i also mix in some ghee along with the mustard oil. Other times I leave out the green chilies and add a mixture of dry roated and ground red chilies and cumin.

Edward Hamann

Cooking Teacher

Indian Cooking

edhamann@hotmail.com

(CHeaper too.. can you believe one red bell pepper cost me $2.99... ouch)

Wow, that's expensive. Have you tried buying bell peppers from the farmers' market? Or even from an "Asian" grocery store?

Alur Borta is simple enough and I love it. Boil potatoes then peel them. Mash them with chopped green chilies, cilantro, salt and good mustard oil. Sometimes i also mix in some ghee along with the mustard oil. Other times I leave out the green chilies and add a mixture of dry roated and ground red chilies and cumin.

This is similar to the "Aloo-Sheddho" which is a classic Bengali comfort food, at least it is, for me.

Boil potato

Peel potato

Mash potato

Mix generous amount of *good* quality mustard oil

Salt to taste

Chopped onions (red onion variety please)

Chopped green chile

Mix by hand.

Form into small balls. Have with watery dal and rice. To be eaten with your hands. This is not a dish which is designed to be eaten using fork and spoon.

Edward... we did this in our eG class. it was yummy. we flame roasted a red chili pepper (dried) and then crushed it on top of the potatoes

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice

Add some diced potatoes.

Add salt to taste.

Stir around for a while.

Bong - I guess loochi is kinda unique in this world.U must shed some light and yes 'kalojire-aloo' is 'phataphati'(deadly)

Jeera Aloo

( probably the simplest recipe)

Heat some oil in a Kadai ( heavy Wok)

add a tablespoon of cumin seeds

when they are a little brown and the cumin aroma comes through add

diced potatoes. Potatoes( boiled through, yet firm, peeted and cubed 3/4 -1 inch.

Mix . Reduce flame to med and let the potatoes brown a bit.

Mix occassionally and gently. Agressiveness will mash the potato and you will lose some of the 'kadak' (crispness)

when you feel you have obtained the degree of caramalization that YOU like, add

salt and cayenne to your taste

mix and cook another couple of minutes

patience is the secret ingedient in this dish.

Bombay Curry Company

3110 Mount Vernon Avenue, Alexandria, VA 22305. 703. 836-6363

Delhi Club

Arlington, Virginia

My bengali is extremely rusty but I would think 'Kaloo-Jeere' to be back cumin seeds.

Yes, if you translate literally, "Kalo" = "black" and "Jeere"="cumin".

But, strangely, Kalojeere is not black cumin, but is Kalonji aka Nigella Seeds (also called Onion Seeds). Use of black cumin is not prevalent in traditional Bengali cooking...

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showto...=0entry527832

My bengali is extremely rusty but I would think 'Kaloo-Jeere' to be back cumin seeds.

Yes, if you translate literally, "Kalo" = "black" and "Jeere"="cumin".

But, strangely, Kalojeere is not black cumin, but is Kalonji aka Nigella Seeds (also called Onion Seeds). Use of black cumin is not prevalent in traditional Bengali cooking...

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showto...=0entry527832

thank you

Bombay Curry Company

3110 Mount Vernon Avenue, Alexandria, VA 22305. 703. 836-6363

Delhi Club

Arlington, Virginia