• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What Do You Like/Dislike in a Pub?

Hey Guys,

I hope you are doing well. It's always a pleasure running into you. I hope someday we can hang out when I'm not actually working.

My question is, regarding pubs, what things have you experienced that really appeals to you, and what revolts you?

This probably won't come as a big surprise to other women, but my number one pet peeve in a pub is a poorly maintained restroom. Come on, how difficult can it be?!

A great pub to me has a good selection of beer - meaning styles - not quantity. Listing Bud, Bud Light, Miller, Miller Lite, Coors, Coors Light, Michelob, Michelob Light, Heineken, Amstel Light, Stella Artois etc. isn't a selection - it's all the same beer with a different marketing program.

The area should be reasonably tidy and clean - not anticeptic. I like well-worn pubs that have a cozy feel.

I really like there to be hooks under the bar to hang my backpack or jacket on. (I actually look and usually comment on whether there are any or not.)

I like there to be a size selection in the beer served (10 oz, 16 oz, 20 oz). I don't always want an imperial pint's worth.

I'm sure more will come to me after I post this!

"There's a whole lotta things I ain't never done, but I ain't never had too much fun" Commander Cody