• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Disney Trip

kddickey

We've had a few previous threads on eG which might help, here are two which I posted on but I'm sure there are others:

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=25073

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=19671

There's some seriously good food on property at Disney, enjoy. You might also want to try Seasons 52:

http://www.seasons52.com/

When Cliff Pleau, the former chef of California Grill, and the former GM (George Miliotes) were lured away by Darden Restaurants this is one of the fruits of their new labors--and they took a bunch of very good Disney people with them. (That California Grill carried on without missing a beat, if not improved, speaks well of the Disney culinary system from management on down to the line.)

Steve Klc

Pastry chef-Restaurant Consultant

Oyamel : Zaytinya : Cafe Atlantico : Jaleo

chef@pastryarts.com

Our family enjoyed the food at the cafeteria in the African-themed lodge. I know cafeteria sounds decidedly downscale, but it provided an opportuity to try many foods, and the high turnover rate kept everything fresh. Three of the four soups were quite good, as were a couple of the main courses. The space is pleasasnt, although cavernous, and unlike most Disney dining it didn't seem overrun with hyperactive five-year-olds (mine notwithstanding). The wine list included several reasonable South African choices by the glass or bottle. There was a separate area with kid-friendly foods and an extensive selection of desserts. It was by far the best meal I've had on Disney premises, really much better than you are probably thinking. There is also a nicer restaurant in the same lodge, but we didn't try it with the kids. We don't have any African cuisine in my home town, so I felt like I was trying something I couldn't get at home.

"Eat at Joe's."

- Joe

We also liked the cafeteria, it shares a kitchen and some staff with Boma--which is the other restaurant in the Lodge. We ate at Boma a few times, too, and recommend it, maf, much better at what it aimed for than what the more-upscale restaurant, Jiko, aimed for and missed. (Though I should add there was a chef change at Jiko and I've only dined there once, right after the switch.)

Steve Klc

Pastry chef-Restaurant Consultant

Oyamel : Zaytinya : Cafe Atlantico : Jaleo

chef@pastryarts.com

The food at Disney is surprisingly edible. Expensive but decent. I liked the Moroccan place at Epcot and the Brown Derby (for the Cobb Salad, naturally).

Kevin

Just about all the restaurants at Epcot are very good. I've eaten at the Italian, French and German places. Alfredo's (Italian) is related to the restaurant in Italy that created Fettucini Alfredo. My kids loved it.

For a fun meal, Check out the Sci-Fi Dine-in theater at MGM. The Brown Derby in MGM gets my vote too.

Last time we stayed at the Wilderness lodge and the main restaurant, Artist's Point was very good and had a nice wine pairing. Also their family style restaurant, Whispering Canyon Cafe was great for the kids.

If you can, start making all your reservations now. Otherwise, your in for a long wait at the door.

Edited by WineMiles (log)

Andy Szmidt

WineMiles.com - great wines! low prices!

The early bird may get the worm. But it is the second mouse that gets the cheese.

For a fun meal, Check out the Sci-Fi Dine-in theater at MGM. The Brown Derby in MGM gets my vote too.

Last time we stayed at the Wilderness lodge and the main restaurant, Artist's Point was very good and had a nice wine pairing. Also their family style restaurant, Whispering Canyon Cafe was great for the kids.

If you can, start making all your reservations now. Otherwise, your in for a long wait at the door.

Having been a former Disney Castmember and visited the WDW park a few times.... :raz:

There are so many choices.

I found the Sci-Fi fun the second time around, but wouldn't recommnend it to be much more than that. The repeat visit I think they abandoned their space age wireless hand helds that placed your order without the server ever having to visit a computer terminal or handwrite an actual ticket. :sad: (Although that wouldn't really be something that guests would take note about, but it was all in the coolness of the sci-fi theme, therefore a disappointment that it was replaced). The food was overcooked and cold, but the shakes were great. The first visit, everything was great.

We ate well all over Epcot. What comes to mind: Mexican the first afternoon we arrived we enjoyed a late lunch/light dinner of fajitas and margaritas. :smile: The next day we found the sushi to be quite fresh and delicious. Other evenings we ate on Pleasure Island and had a *blast* at The Rainforest Cafe, but I am unsure if they are still there or doing the same thing since I remember some of their restaurants closed and came close to bankruptcy.

On my first visit for the one lovely sit down dinner we dined at Ariel's at the Beach Club Resort. The second visit we dined at Artist Point in the Wilderness Lodge. I agree, it was a wonderful meal paired with a nice wine list.

As far as reservations, there are video kiosks where you speak to someone that will arrange your dining reservations near the entrances of the parks. They are quick and easy. But it is best to target where you want to eat and call in advance to assure being seated.

By our choices, is it evident we were two adults revisiting our childhoods with more adult options?! :biggrin: (The first stop when we arrived in the late afternoon sun was the Mumm's champagne kiosk to toast our arrival, and then on to the relaxed atmosphere of Mexican fajitas and margs).

Do the research of reviewing menus, locations, etc. It will make the trip itinerary much easier to manage given the amount of attractions designed to wow and it can be a bit overwhelming a few moments here or there.

Good luck, and I hope you enjoy the trip kddickey. :cool:

If you are staying out at Disney, Flying Fish at the Boardwalk rocks. Antonio's at Sandlake, Cafe D'Antonio in Celebration, or Antonio's in Maitland (all same owner) are all wonderful authentic Italian. HUE is just outside downtown O-town with great decor and some of the best Asian fusion. Cheers.

Just outside Disney property in the Crossroads Shopping Center on SR 535 is Pebbles, part of a small local chain and, IMHO, one of the best food values in Orlando. Good food, moderately priced.

Another favorite is Mythos in the Islands of Adventure Park at Universal Orlando. I am just back from a trip to Universal and we ate there several times. GREAT food, especially when Chef Mark is experimenting. ALWAYS ask about off-the-menu specials.

You don't have to buy a ticket to the theme park to eat there either. Go to Guest Services (to the right at the park entrance) and ask about a Dining Pass.

I've heard fantastic things about Victoria and Alberts at the Grand Floridian resort - very expensive though. Also, to ditto what others have written about Epcot, I had a very good meal at the morrocan themed restaurant there - I remember the atmosphere being a lot of fun as well.

Good food is like music you can taste, color you can smell

~Gusteau, Ratatouille

Besides California Grill and Flying Fish, I would recommend Artist Point, Blue Zoo (the new Todd English restaurant), and Shula's (for steak). We were there in April and tried Blue Zoo and Shula's for the first time -- they're totally different, but both very good. Think about doing some of the dinner and show combos: Fantasmic with Brown Derby or Illuminations with Bistro de Paris, etc. Saves standing in line. California Grill is a great place to watch the fireworks at MK as well.

Tony

I'm going to Disney late June. The only issue: my boyfriend (we're the bridesmaid and groomsman for a mutual friend, so he doesn't have a choice but to go with me!) keeps kosher. I'd love to eat at the seafood places down there, but I feel guilty digging into a pile of lobster legs while he's got 1, maybe 2, things to pick off the menu - grilled chicken breast or grilled steak.

Any suggestions for the best of both worlds?

Making a trip to Orlando in July. Any edible suggestions?

I've been going to Orlando for years on business, and until last year resisted trying Le Coq Au Vin, which is written up everywhere as a local favorite for great French food. Well, I ate a delicious meal there and ate my hat as well. It's probably some of the best food in Orlando, although that doesn't say much. It's a very good restaurant. I wound up going back there 3 more times on my last trip. The wines are quite good too and the host is extrememly knowledgeable and down to earth about them.

If you like great steaks, a local chain called Charley's Steakhouse has some great ones cut thick and grilled over a mix of local woods. They also own Vito's Chophouse which makes a magnificent thick rib-eye on the bone, but I'd suggest ordering it without the Italian seasonings. The service at these places is so incredibly horrendous and horrifying that I read with no surprise some postings on a local dining board down there by various people who said they "left the restaurant in tears" for one reason or another stemming from the way their server treated them. Being forewarned, however, you could still go and have one of America's great steaks.

I don't like Pebbles at all.

Overheard at the Zabar’s prepared food counter in the 1970’s:

Woman (noticing a large bowl of cut fruit): “How much is the fruit salad?”

Counterman: “Three-ninety-eight a pound.”

Woman (incredulous, and loud): “THREE-NINETY EIGHT A POUND ????”

Counterman: “Who’s going to sit and cut fruit all day, lady… YOU?”

Newly updated: my online food photo extravaganza; cook-in/eat-out and photos from the 70's

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone tried Anaelle & Hugo's in Dr. Phillips? I've read a couple of good reviews, but would like some more opinions. We'll be in town in July, too, and are looking for something new to try.