• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

One night in LA, staying near LAX

wabi

Aloha.

My wife and I are going to be in LA literally for one day and night later this week. We are flying in from Hawaii, and have to spend the night to catch a flight out the next day. We have decided to spend the day going to the Getty Museum...so lunch is taken care of there. We have heard very nice things about lunch at the Getty.

Now comes the question on dinner. We will be staying at a hotel near the airport and have decided NOT to rent a car. Dinner, no matter where we go will be a cab ride. Where should we go?

What kinds of food do we like....all kinds. We live on Kauai, so needless to say we dont need to go for sushi. We really like nice places to eat, the genre of food is not as important as the quality.

Is there anywhere near the airport that we shouldnt miss? How far do we need to go? We are literally going later this week, with this in mind, we need to be able to get reservations on a bit of a short notice.

Any advice is appreciated.

BTW, I am a long time reader, but this is my first post.

wabi

What hotel are you staying at?..What is the radius you wish to travel and how much do you want to spend on dinner. I would suggest something Mexican or Cuban since you might not have authentic stuff in Hawaii...There is a great Cuban place that is not to far from LAX called Havana Mania in Redondo Beach,its pretty nice and "California Casual". That might be a good call, or try Pancho's in Manhattan Beach...pretty nice and good food, both places are a short ride away from the hotels.

if you like small mom and pop places, look at my site for some

Chris

Moo, Cluck, Oink.....they all taste good!

The Hungry Detective

I second Hollywood's and his suggestion for Joe's. The cab ride is going to cost you a bit, but honestly, there isn't THAT much in the vicinity of the airport that is that exceptional. Encore, the space-age place AT the airport is not bad, but I prefer it for cocktails and appetizers when the sun is setting. That is when it is perfect.

I just posted some photo's from inside Encounter in the California forum yesterday..the thread is about "cool stuff"....I second the going for drinks...food is nothing special,but the view and everything elseis really cool....I love the elevators!...Full on Jetsons!

The Hungry Detective

Aloha, and thank you for the ideas so far.

We will be staying at a Radisson Hotel near the airport.

How much....I dont really mind as long as the dinner is pretty exeptional.

Cuisine... We like all kinds. I have to say that living here we have a pretty good selection of asian cuisines.

Joes does sound like an excellent idea, I went and looked at their website with menu.

How long and what can I expect the cost of the cab ride there to be?

Please continue to make suggestions as I will be reading the posts as they are made.

wabi

Sorry I can't help much with recs - I haven't been to Joe's myself. There's a place called Amuse which happens to be near Joe's that also gets good mentions, but I haven't been there myself either.

If you were willing to go a bit further, Santa Monica has a lot more dining choices.

But on the cab ride to Venice, I would guess closer to $20-25 off peak or more if between 5:30 and 7pm - that area can get congested during rush hour. You'll be on Hawaii time, so you might consider a later (like 9pm, which would feel like 6pm for you) dinner at Joe's. Good luck.

I hate to suggest places I haven't been, but Melisse in Santa Monica is suposed to be wonderful. More formal than Joe's. Cal-French with the accent on the French.

It hasn't been mentioned here, but I'd stay away from Valentino. I think the glory days are over as far as the food goes, though the wine list is still tops.

If you want to go for a drink in a fun place that is typical LA trendy (a fun contrast to the Getty and the restaurants that have been mentioned), check out the Viceroy Hotel. The restaurant is inconsistant, but the bar and outside patio are great fun for a nightcap.

In terms of geography, all the places mentioned have been in Venice and Santa Monica, which are between the getty and the airport. If you can avoid wanting to go back to the hotel before dinner, you'll save a lot of time and cab fare.

Have fun--and please let us know what you pick!

In terms of geography, all the places mentioned have been in Venice and Santa Monica, which are between the getty and the airport. If you can avoid wanting to go back to the hotel before dinner, you'll save a lot of time and cab fare.

This raises the question of how you are getting to the Getty which is some distance from the hotel you mentioned without a rented car. Some sort of bus tour? I don't think you can practically use public transportation to get to the Getty, but maybe I'm overlooking something obvious. If not, why not rent a car given what you'll be paying for cabs, etc.?

I'm hollywood and I approve this message.

In terms of geography, all the places mentioned have been in Venice and Santa Monica, which are between the getty and the airport.  If you can avoid wanting to go back to the hotel before dinner, you'll save a lot of time and cab fare.

This raises the question of how you are getting to the Getty which is some distance from the hotel you mentioned without a rented car. Some sort of bus tour? I don't think you can practically use public transportation to get to the Getty, but maybe I'm overlooking something obvious. If not, why not rent a car given what you'll be paying for cabs, etc.?

Depending on the day and time...could be an e gullet dinner!

The Hungry Detective

Aloha.

Some friends of ours from here did something similar to this just a couple of weeks ago.

They took a bus of some sorts right from the hotel to the Getty. I think that it was a tour bus of some sorts, but they did say that it was easy.

Why not rent a car and drive....good question. My thoughts on it are these....we live here on Kauai, rarely drive over 50 mph, driving in Honolulu is a challenge. We'll be tourists in LA, God knows we have to drive behind them here in Hawaii... I think that we'll leave the driving to the pros. :raz: .

wabi

We'll be tourists in LA, God knows we have to drive behind them here in Hawaii... I think that we'll leave the driving to the pros. :raz: .

wabi

LA is for tourists. Enjoy your stay.

I'm hollywood and I approve this message.

Ditto on Joes. Probably closest really good place to LAX. Make sure cabbie takes Lincoln Blvd to Venice and NOT THE 10 FWY. Cab should be $15 or so each way. There is a place my wife and I like alot since we can getr there easy and fasy from home and is very chef driven, but out of the way for most Angelinos. It is in Playa and I eat there at least once a month.

http://www.chloerestaurant.com/

If you read chef bios you get an idea of the place.

This is maybe $8 ( 5 minutes) From the Raddison its a real easy cab ride away and you can go for a walk on what passes for a beach here. Try not to laugh .

Mahalo,

David

Amuse closes at 4:00 PM BTW

David West

A.K.A. The Mushroom Man

Founder of http://finepalatefoods.com/

We really enjoyed Joe's, but had a waiter who had a really bad attitude (we didn't order bottled water) which changed after we ordered a $150 bottle of wine. He suddenly warmed up, but the mood had already been spoiled.

Another wonderful place is JiRaffe, in Santa Monica. Pleasant staff, exceptional menu.

• 2 weeks later...

I want to thank everyone who answered our enquiries. We went to Joe's. I have to say that it was a wonderful meal, and well worth the effort .

Thank you all.

wabi

• 3 weeks later...