• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What excites you?

Hello, Chef Hill!

I'm a recent cooking-school graduate (40-year-old career changer) with just one year in a high-end restaurant on the Canadian prairies.

Although I'd thought of myself as an adventurous home cook with a wide range, I've discovered this last couple of years that I've only begun to scratch the surface. Almost every day I'm tripping over a new ingredient or technique or combination that that surprises and delights me.

So I have to wonder, as a chef who's been at or near the top of the profession for decades, what excites you these days? What things have given you a "wow moment" of late?

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

What I find stimulating these days is the momentum and excitement that food and cooking now generates. A series of restaurant meals here or anywhere will show bright minds at work on what are basically the same ingredients worldwide. Not all is successful naturally but enough works or intrigues to keep the brain ticking on what's possible and what's good to eat. A big change from 20 or 30 years ago when my trade was still largely the refuge of no hopers