• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Last minute happy hour

I am taking Thursday off and am going to celebrate at happy hour Wednesday.

Right now I am leaning towards Courduroy, but can be convinced to imbibe elsewhere.

Who's joining me?

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

Never been so I have no idea. :wink: It was thrown out at me as a suggestion. I have no idea what is downtown or where to go. Help!

does matchbox have good bar specials?? that could be a fantastic idea--closer to the metro, too--only rationale for Corduroy was that they had actual happy hour specials on food and drink for the budgetarily-challenged.

does matchbox have good bar specials?? that could be a fantastic idea--closer to the metro, too--only rationale for Corduroy was that they had actual happy hour specials on food and drink for the budgetarily-challenged.

Yes, drink-wise they have nice specials. But you do have to be right at the bar (not at the tables) to take advantage.

Matchbox works for me, if that's good with everyone else. I could drink their flavored vodkas anytime.

Unless we go to Montgomery County I don't know where any nonsmoking bars are.

The more the merrier. We aren't that scary, once you get to know us :wink:

I'm done with work at 4 so I can be there at 5 :biggrin: Babka will be a little late (I assume that is still correct?) so where ever we end up we will be there for a while.

Does Zatinya do a good HH? or Zola?

Might not be the cheapest place in town, but having a few cocktails at Le Bar in the Sofitel sounds quite brilliant to me right now.

Firefly Restaurant

Washington, DC

Not the body of a man from earth, not the face of the one you love

Random comments...

I think Morton's only has free tenderloin sandwiches on Monday, but I could be wrong.

Zaytinya's cocktails are great, but the place gets PACKED making for a less than relaxing HH. "Quick, grab that chair!"

I'd love to join you guys, but I have [as yet unconfirmed] dinner plans.

Everybody needs to buy Hillvalley a drink. Trust me. She needs several. And she deserves it. :smile:

edited, because I can't spell. :biggrin:

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Marlene, I wish you were here so I could buy YOU a lot of drinks. Goodness knows I am the calm person I am (hahaha) because of your womanly ways.

I am making the executive decision that I will be at Matchbox tomorrow night at 6. 6:39 if traffic is bad or my parent meeting runs too long.

Hopefully this fits into your schedule and/or liking. The more the merrier. My goal for the evening is to convince them to put cheese on the minis. And take mnebergall.

*Note: Location may be changed if Al decides it is too smoky. If that is the case, someone else please pick a smoke free, metro accessible place?

Feel free to email me but I can't gaurantee a reply. Please don't PM since I can't check it at work :wink: Otherwise I will see you in the evening.

the only smoke-free alternative that springs to mind is Palena, which has neither cheap drinks nor happy hour specials...but o! it's good!

yeah, I'll probably still be running late--will do my best to get there by 7, but can somebody who's going PM me a cell phone number so I can confirm where ya'all are before I leave? thanks!

Marlene, I wish you were here so I could buy YOU a lot of drinks. Goodness knows I am the calm person I am (hahaha) because of your womanly ways.

I am making the executive decision that I will be at Matchbox tomorrow night at 6. 6:39 if traffic is bad or my parent meeting runs too long.

Hopefully this fits into your schedule and/or liking. The more the merrier. My goal for the evening is to convince them to put cheese on the minis. And take mnebergall.

*Note: Location may be changed if Al decides it is too smoky. If that is the case, someone else please pick a smoke free, metro accessible place?

Feel free to email me but I can't gaurantee a reply. Please don't PM since I can't check it at work :wink: Otherwise I will see you in the evening.

Womanly ways?! :blink::biggrin: I wish I was there too. Have fun, you deserve it!

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.