• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mid-priced restaurants in Wash. state

Hello Wea are a senior aged New York couple who will be visiting Wash . and Vancouver Island for the month of June. We are looking for quiet restaurants with good food in the mid-priced range. We enjoy Thai, Vietnamese, Chinese, Seafood and local specialties. Main entrees in the $15- 20 or so range.

We will be in the following cities:

Tacoma

Kalalouch

Port Angeles

Annacurtis

Sedro-Woolley

Wintrop

Levenworth

Mount Rainier

Seattle

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Edited by jeanandpaul (log)

Main entrees in the $15- 20 or so range.

In Seattle, you really won't find many places without something to offer in that price range (a handful of places are more spendy - mostly the steak-oriented places and "names" such as Tom Douglas's 3 places.) Please look at some of the recent threads responding to where to eat. If something sounds interesting, we can let you know more about prices and noise volume.

Actually, you'll do well pretty much anywhere in the Pacific NW. One of the best things you can do if $ is an issue is to order a starter or two, or split an entree. Most places still serve a fairly large portion - and most of the nicer placers are accustomed to diners lightening up by eating starters and salads.

If your operative word is "quiet", hmm, that is a problem with many places in Seattle. Stay out of Flying Fish, Monsoon, Brasa's bar (may be okay if it isn't too busy) and Chinooks (I forget how loud the last is until each time I go...)

For Vietnamese in Seattle: Huong Bihn (very inexpensive) on the first floor of the strip mall at 12th and Jackson. Try Bambuza at 8th and Pike if you want something a little nicer and a bit more Americanized (still good). If you just want Pho go to Than Bros-they have a number of locations around town-Capitol Hill, the U District, Greenlake and Ballard. The soups at Saigon Restaurant in the Pike Place Market are quite good.

Chinese: Try searching past threads for more recs (do the same for Thai) , but I love Seven Stars Pepper on the second story of the same complex as Huong Bihn. They have great crab.

All of these places are inexpensive (ie entrees $5-12) but I don't know if they are quiet. They aren't exceptionally loud, but people aren't talking softly.

I might have recommended Chinook's for reasonably priced seafood but the place is very noisy. Matt's in the Market always has some good, not too expensive seafood choices. For lunch, try Pike Place Chowder in the Market for seafood bisques and chowders.

There is a thread about Winthrop below.

In Seattle, you really won't find many places without something to offer in that price range (a handful of places are more spendy - mostly the steak-oriented places and "names" such as Tom Douglas's 3 places.)

Actually, Palace Kitchen (a Tom Douglas joint) has many entrees within the $15-$20 range. They also have an amazing selection of small plates that we often combine to make a meal. Etta's also has more than half their entrees priced under $20.

I personally would stay away from the dining room at Brasa; see the 25 for $25 thread for a write-up of our recent visit. The bar is supposed to be better.

Other restuarants that might suit your needs: Cafe Lago for great wood-fired pizza and pasta; and Salumi for lunch (not quiet but worth it.. or take your goodies to go and eat them al fresco). Or, if you're feeling a wee bit adventurous, Lo Sichuan and/or its neighbor, Seven Stars Pepper.

~Anita

Anita Crotty travel writer & mexican-food addictwww.marriedwithdinner.com