• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What style of beer can't you stand at all?

Okay, I'll put you guys on the spot a bit. Are there any styles of beer which you totally can't stand?

Bonus points if you specify the very worst example of this style and your reactions to it.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

Every style of beer has it's place. I don't drink industrial lagers very often but if that is what someone else likes then I have no problem with them drinking it. I prefer imperial stouts and barley wines but I don't expect everyone to and that's not what I am going to choose for a summer day at the lake.

What really scorches my brew kettle is alcopops, malternatives, RTD's, or whatever the accepted term is today. I'm not going to use the "marketing to under age drinkers" argument. I am going to use the "marketing to uninformed trend followers that are not really drinkers" argument. They are a sugar coated alcohol delivery media for people who haven't learned to appreciate the taste of alcohol as beer, wine, or spirits. Naïve stereotypes that give responsible drinkers a bad image.

My worst experience with this beverage category is with what was labeled as "Romulan Ale". A Tidy-Bowl blue liquid that stained the clear glass bottle it was poured from. Four of us split one out of curiosity but no one ventured past the first taste. It took some serious tooth brushing to bring normal color back to our mouths.

Life's a journey... pack a cooler!

Light Beer. Or rather "lite" beer. Coors Light is the the one that comes to mind when I think of this style because it is what my inlaws and family drink. To me, this is the type of beer people drink who really don't like beer. People think I'm tacky when I bring my own beer to family gatherings, but too bad. I refuse to drink that swill. I think Heineken is a light beer. Coors Light and others are bland with no flavor. If you want a lighter beer, let me suggest you try a German style wheat beer like Franziskaner Hefe-Weizen. Light, but with taste and character. People say Coors Light is a good beer for when you're cutting the lawn. I'd rather have water.

John the hot dog guy

My worst experience with this beverage category is with what was labeled as "Romulan Ale". A Tidy-Bowl blue liquid that stained the clear glass bottle it was poured from. Four of us split one out of curiosity but no one ventured past the first taste. It took some serious tooth brushing to bring normal color back to our mouths.

You and me both. I'm a serious Trek addict, and I TRIED to drink one of these at "Quark's Bar" at the Hilton Las Vegas. After the first sip, I told them to take it away and bring me a Rum and Coke!

BTW, the "Klingon Blood Wine" is not much better.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host