• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Frozen breads

tryska

quick question? since chapatis and puris come from essentially the same dough - could I prep some doguh, roll it out, layer with wax paper, freeze and then as i wanted/needed - fry or put on a griddle as I wish?

tryska - that is what I do. For rotis.. I cook them all the way thru if I am going to freeze them. For parathas I half cook them and then freeze them. Thaw and then fully cook to eat.

I hope that helps

I have never attempted to freeze uncooked dough.. what do other folks do?

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice

do pretty much the same for chappatis and parathas but uncooked samosas frozen and then fried sometimes blister a bit-possibly something to do with their moisture content?

pretty much the same as in you freeze them raw, or you freeze them cooked?

and yeah - i can see samosas blistering - it is because the moisture crystallize, i'm guessing and then boils off when you friy them.question for those of you who cook and then reheat breads in the micro - don't they get tough?

i reheated parathas in the micro last night, for about 45 seocnds, but by the time i got to the end of my meal the paratha was rock hard.

do pretty much the same for chappatis and parathas but uncooked samosas frozen and then fried sometimes blister a bit-possibly something to do with their moisture content?

and yeah - i can see samosas blistering - it is because the moisture crystallize, i'm guessing and then boils off when you friy them.question for those of you who cook and then reheat breads in the micro - don't they get tough?

i reheated parathas in the micro last night, for about 45 seocnds, but by the time i got to the end of my meal the paratha was rock hard.

Instead of reheating for 45 sec. @ 100%, try 30 sec @ 50%, turn over, 30 sec again @ 50%.

Much better results IMHO

sorry -should have hit the quote button.what i meant to say was that i do pretty much what monica and bague25 do for chappatis and parathas but i do freeze samosas raw.they're small so they defrost fairly quickly.then again my puri and samosa dough have a small amount of fat in them( heh!when i'm bad..)

yeah - i use a little oil in my puri dough sometimes.

hmm...i'll have to start experimenting.

Monica thanks! I had the paper towels, I missed the sprinkle with water bit. I'll try it this evening.

*lol* haven't done it yet Monica - it will have to wait for a couple of weeks. This weekend was a no cook weekend, as I';m off to florida on thursday. When I get back, I will start giving it a go. However this weekend I can look forward to my moms kofta curry and puris, and spinach dal, among other things. I had really wanted white radish dal, but she couldn't find any, so she's decided to try growing them. :biggrin:

I've seen them both in the freezer case. I think they're cooked before being frozen.

I have purchased frozen rotis recently. The package admonished not to defrost before cooking, but I didn't even notice that I had put them in the fridge rather than the freezer when I got home. I found them the next day and put them in the freezer, thinking well, if I ruin them, I ruin them....

Despite the English warning, there were no cooking instructions in a language I could understand, just a picture of a frying pan. So I tossed a frozen circle onto a preheated, dry pan and watched the dough thaw into something obviously raw, then quickly cook. I flipped it once or twice to make sure both sides got done, and the bread puffed up like a balloon, which deflated as soon as I took them off the heat.

We ate them with some okra and cauliflower that I had spiced up in a vaguely Indian-esque way. Made me wish that there were other fast skillet breads available to the lazy Western cook!

Kathy

Minxeats
http://www.foodloversguidetobaltimore.com/'>Food Lovers' Guide to Baltimore