• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chaume/Coteaux du Layon

ctgm

I have been asked to get someone some Chaume or Coteaux du Layon (or other such Loire sweetie) but my knowledge on these is sorely lacking.

Can anyone give some advice on producers and vintages (probably looking for wines to be drunk in 5-10 years). Presumably the life of these is measured in decades?

All help appreciated.

I have been asked to get someone some Chaume or Coteaux du Layon (or other such Loire sweetie) but my knowledge on these is sorely lacking.

Can anyone give some advice on producers and vintages (probably looking for wines to be drunk in 5-10 years). Presumably the life of these is measured in decades?

All help appreciated.

The producer of these wines that I use is the Domaine de la Bergerie. They make a very tasty Chaume, several cuvées of Coteaux de Layon and a marvelous Quarts de Chaume. QdC is the only grand cru in the Loire, and in exceptional years can live a very lengthy life. These wines are interesting because of their concentrated mineral flavors - chalk, flint and magnesium. You can actually taste them.

Mark

For Coteaux du Layon and Chaume the following producers are the creme de la creme:

Florent Baumard - who I will be visiting next week. I tasted his 2001 Quarts de Chaume at the weekend and it was truly breathtaking.

Chateau Pierre Bise - I met Claude Papin last year and again at the weekend. He crafts lovely wines, very reflective of the terroir.

Philippe Delesvaux - a great reputation and I hope to visit here next week also.

Other good producers include:

Chateau de Fesles

Chateau de la Genaiserie

Forges

Andrew Cady

BWs

Chris

I can second the recommendation of Domaine de la Bergerie. The proprietor, Yves Guegniard, is very consistent and continues to get better every year.

Another vigneron with property on the Coteaux is Jo Pithon, perhaps even better than Guegniard in his good years but he is inconsistent. During 1993-1997, Jo was as good as anyone (Try the 1997 Bonnes Blanches and 1997 Clos de Bois) but his quality fell off for a few years. Beginning with 2001 Jo started to make a comeback.

Incidentally, Jo is a leader in the effort to make a dry Chenin Blanc that is a match for the Bourguignon. A recent article, "La Nouvelle Dynamique des Vins d'Anjou", in the Apr-May 2004 issue of Cuisine et Vins de France tries to make the case.