• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Best Dives

Rosie

Pearl of the Sea Portugese restaurant just south of the Ocean Place Conference Center on Ocean Ave. in Long Branch.  The place looks like a cheesy chicken and rib joint from the outside, but on the inside they have a blackboard listing dozens of specials featuring grilled meats, poultry and seafood.  In many instances most of the clientele is talking in Portugese, and it may be difficult to place an order without resorting to pointing to the menu...

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

Jason... what's the name of that badly air conditioned Brazilian BBQ place you and Rachel took me to?  That certainly belongs on this list.  Somewhat grease-spattered, but the food was plentiful and pretty good...

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

Two seafood restaurants immediately come to mind. Spikes in Point Pleasant and Marino's in Cranford. Both are very similair in style being market/restaurant types with much more emphasis on the quality of the food that they are serving than the setting in which they serve it.  I have never walked away from either without having an above average meal.

A.D.S.

Burnet Barbeque. Locations In Union and Burnet. Yep, definitely belongs on the list.

Quote: from jhlurie on 9:02 am on Aug. 31, 2001

Jason... what's the name of that badly air conditioned Brazilian BBQ place you and Rachel took me to?  That certainly belongs on this list.  Somewhat grease-spattered, but the food was plentiful and pretty good...

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Quote: from RockADS21 on 2:02 pm on Sep. 1, 2001

Two seafood restaurants immediately come to mind. Spikes in Point Pleasant and Marino's in Cranford. Both are very similair in style being market/restaurant types with much more emphasis on the quality of the food that they are serving than the setting in which they serve it.  I have never walked away from either without having an above average meal.

ROCK-Can you give me the address of Marino's? Is it BYO and is it open on Sundays? What do you like to have there? Thanks.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

Marino's is located at 34 North Avenue - right in the center of town in Cranford (1 block from the train station). The soups and chowders are a can't miss there. It is BYO and I believe that the restaurant portion is open from Wednesday through Sunday.

A.D.S.

• 1 year later...

Pearl of the Sea is a good dive. Used to be even seedier when the strip club next door was open. Haven't been there in a while, do they have a liquor license yet, or are they still serving homemade Portguese wine on the hush hush out of brown paper bags and pouring it into soda cups. I love the manilla clams there, will sometimes just have two orders rather than get other stuff.

I'm going to have to agree with RockADS. I was just at Spikes in Point Pleasant on Saturday. Just stoppin on my drive home. Picked up a Lobster Bisque for 6$ for a pint, and my friend had a Manhattan Clam Chowder for I think 4$ a pint. Eating while in the car, they were both great!

Another dive, and one I was going to put in the Best NJ Pizza thread is The Star Tavern in Orange, NJ. It's at the end of Scotland Rd(at least it starts out as Scotland, it may change it's name towards the end). I've been going there for around 20 yrs, and it's still great. The thinnest crust pizza out there. Noisy, smoky, atmosphere, in a not great neighborhood, but the pizza is great, and the rest of the food is pretty good as well.

Yield to Temptation, It may never come your way again.

--Lazarus Long

I agree with Spikes in Pt. Pleasant Beach. Another one that came to mind was Hannah's on Main Street in New Milford. It really looks like a dive, but the pizza is very thin crust and pretty good!

Life is too important to be taken seriously.[br]Oscar Wilde