• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fake XIX Century Macallan Whisky Scandal

Alberto

I don't know about the forgeries but I visited the imposing Macallan distillery back in 1998 and was told in no uncertain terms what their distillers thought of any malt over 25 years old, including their own: only slightly better than cats' piss. As for the 50-year old, which sold for a fortune...

Although I'm surprised such a reputable, high-volume firm would resort to such fakery, a part of me stubbornly refuses to be shocked. People who buy these antique bottles - think of all the cases of still great centuries-old Madeira they could buy and drink for the price - aren't really interested in the content.

My bet is that the whisky that went into the old bottles was several millions times better than the original. Not the point, I know - but still...!

Edited by MiguelCardoso (log)

I don't know about the forgeries but I visited the imposing Macallan distillery back in 1998 and was told in no uncertain terms what their distillers thought of any malt over 25 years old, including their own: only slightly better than cats' piss. As for the 50-year old, which sold for a fortune...

Miguel, I can assure you that Macallan 25 years old is UNDOUBTEDLY better than cat piss (not that I have direct experience with cat piss, of course); it is quite something as a single malt scotch whisky in fact. Obviously, it's not cheap.

My bet is that the whisky that went into the old bottles was several millions times better than the original.  Not the point, I know - but still...!

I think I'm missing the point a little here. Can you explain better?

Cheers,

Alberto

Alberto, I have a bottle of the 25 Macallan I keep for special occasions - it is indeed a luscious treat. When I said "over 25" I meant well over 25: 40, 50 and older. I've tried 50 year old Macallan and it was very thin and mellow - though, of course, still very nice. But the distillers themselves have little respect for such agings, which they consider an almight waste - a waste of what could have been a great 18-year or 25-year old. They don't rate collectors much either - though they pander to them.

From my visit there I also learnt about the very young 7-year-old they bottle specially for Milan-based Armando Giovenetti (the man who, before representing Macallan, made 5-year-old Glen Grant the top selling whisky in Italy, beating even the cheapest, most popular blends). I've been hooked since. It's difficult to find in Lisbon (and costs about 30 euros, more than the 12-year-old) but it's very fresh and very, very Macallany. It really helps one to understand their malt whiskey.

My comment about the whisky they used to fill up the antique bottles is based on the presumption that they probably used an old (but not 19th Century) Macallan. If this is so (I can't believe they filled it with Famous Grouse or something!) then the fact that the whisky wasn't over a century old would make it more sippable. A weak joke, I know...

All the best, Alberto!

Miguel