• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What's Wrong With This Wine?

Mulcahy

2002 Reichsgraf con Kesselstattt Riesling Kabinett Josephshofer $22

Ordered three bottles of this on Friday from a reputable wine shop here in the Big Apple. Opened one of the bottles on Friday evening and it smelled overly alcoholic and was fizzy to the taste. I could still taste the fruit in the wine but the fizziness was totally overpowering and the aftertaste was significantly alcoholic. This was not the wine I had tasted three days prior at a wine tasting (which is why I had ordered it). Needless to say I didn't drink the bottle. Too bad, as I was really looking forward to it.

1) What's wrong with it?

2) Do I return the other two bottles?

Sometimes this can be the use of dry ice (and possibly nitrogen??). The dry ice is used to both chase out any oxygen around as well as giving the fruit a little lift. This can often be seen in wines that have just been bottled.

Carolyn, thanks muchly for that link. I am going to re-taste the bottle that is still in my fridge tonight after letting it sit in a glass for a bit. Ah, patience!

2002 Reichsgraf con Kesselstattt Riesling Kabinett Josephshofer $22

Ordered three bottles of this on Friday from a reputable wine shop here in the Big Apple. Opened one of the bottles on Friday evening and it smelled overly alcoholic and was fizzy to the taste. I could still taste the fruit in the wine but the fizziness was totally overpowering and the aftertaste was significantly alcoholic. This was not the wine I had tasted three days prior at a wine tasting (which is why I had ordered it). Needless to say I didn't drink the bottle. Too bad, as I was really looking forward to it.

1) What's wrong with it?

2) Do I return the other two bottles?

Mulchay,

This is a wonderful wine from a great estate and a fine vineyard. Some German Rieslings do have a small amount of spritz for a few years after bottling. That is one reason, I feel, they age so gracefully. If you can afford it, buy a few more btls and put them away in a cool dark place. Re-visit them in about 3 years and I think you will really enjoy them especially on a balmy spring/summer/fall day or evening.

Phil

I have never met a miserly wine lover

So I went home last night and re-tasted the fizzy riesling.

I am clearly too impatient for my own good.

The bottle had been in my fridge after having been opened (and re-corked, obviously) since Friday night. I poured myself a glass as soon as I walked in the door then putzed around the apartment a bit. When I got back to the glass about ten minutes later, it was delicious. The fizz was all gone. The overly alcoholic nose was gone. What was left was a wine that tasted of honey, pear, a little apple and had a beautiful finish.

Thank you all for the advice. Next time, I will wait.

With young Mosel Riesling you tend to have two choices these days if you do not like the spritz:

1) Decant - 2 to 3 hours usually does the trick, though for big wines (e.g. Prum Auslese) I go for 8-10 hours to clear both the spritz and the leesy aromas.

2) Age them for 10 years.

Since most of us want to drink some (or all) of these wines young, option number 1 is always highly recommended.