• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dress code for Cafe Matisse?

Casey

obviously it's too late for my response, but i'd say that there is no dress code for 99% of NJ restaurants.  i'd probably wear a jacket at the ryland inn, but short of that i don't give it much thought...as mrs tommy and anyone who's ever dined with me will attest to.

When we were there Lowell wore a jacket and tie but there were men in sweaters and jackets without ties. I would say that clothes are required. I didn't see anyone wearing Tommy's jellyfish shirt.Let us know what you wore and how you enjoyed the food. I've always had memorable meals there.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

Had an absolutely wonderful meal last night at Cafe Matisse. We went with another couple, who enjoyed it just as much.  They changed their menu during the last few weeks (since we made the reservation in fact). For appetizers (copied from website or I'd never remember), we had Panko crusted crabcakes with toasted corn and black bean salsa, guacamole, lime vinaigrette and chipotle syrup; the smoked sliced duck breast baked on herbal caramelized onion flatbread with gorgonzola, pear walnut and date compote with mizuna greens and truffled fig vinaigrette; and the thinly sliced blackened swordfish with shaved fennel, tarragon, candied pearl onions and baby organic greens with orange truffle vinaigrette.  For entrees, we had the Pan seared veal filet medallions with roasted eggplant herbal timbale with wild mushroom strudel baked with montbriac cheese, roasted garlic créme and rosemary glace; the Pan charred filet mignon of beef with cajun creole spiced lemon shrimp with black bean goat cheese cassoulet and cilantro cumin créme fraiche; and the Miso soy marinated Chilean sea bass and hoison glazed shrimp with stir fry of root vegetables topped with fried wontons and orange chili ginger syrup and hoison glace.  I do not exagerate when I say our plates were completely cleaned except for the parsley!  For dessert (from memory), we had melt-in-your-mouth warm chocolate cake served with vanilla ice cream and raspberry sauce; and the banana panna cotta with some additional sides I cannot recall (husband wouldn't let me have any!).  The men had double espresso, and the women had a hazlenut latte with shaved white and milk chocolate on top that was easily the best latte I've ever had!

The one observation we all made was regarding the portion sizes.  They were not overly large, and in fact all thought they were the perfect size.  We all left satisfied from a hunger standpoint, but not overstuffed.

I would definitely go back....Casey

The women wore the standard black slacks, shell and trendy blazer, while the men wore button down shirts and pants, no ties.

The one other observation the men made, which I found interesting, was my friend's husband noticed the amount of heavy duty jewelry on the female patrons--my husband noticed the heavy duty plastic surgery!  Call me crazy, but I was way too into my food to notice....

My husband and I were there two weeks ago.  I, too, noticed the impressive jewelry.  There were many trendy little outfits - bare midriff, slinky dresses, etc.

We had the grazing menu, which were three appetizers each and one dessert.  There were six appetizers on the menu, and we tried five of them.  The one we both HAD TO HAVE was the corn taco - and it did not disappoint.  Filled with duck confit and grilled foie gras, it had us both "swooning".  The other four were great, too, but the taco was very memorable.  

Be prepared to sit, though.  We arrived at 7:00 and left after 10:00.  We could have easily drank two bottles of wine, but kept it to just one so we could safely drive home.

I'm trying to plan another visit.  It's very fine dining.

Marie

NJDuchess

I've been meaning to get back there since they moved over onto the boardwalk but have not yet made it.  Looks like they've got a great view of the ocean considering their old location across the street had none at all...

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak