• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Le Troquet

Carlsbad

I went to Le Troquet about two years ago and loved it and am not quite sure why I haven't returned. I don't know if it's still the case, but when I went they had a 4 course menu for 30 € and there wasn't really a choice. But everything we had was delicious. And the reason I went in the first place was because the chef at the Crillion at the time told me it was his favorite inexpensive restaurnant in Paris, so I figured that was a pretty good endorsement.

www.parisnotebook.wordpress.com

Yes I've been about 4 times, but not since 2001.  I too, cannot say why not, because the food was consistently good and well priced.

I was just going to say that! We have never had a course at Le Troquet that missed the mark, although several times we were served, and ultimately enjoyed, courses that we would not have chosen ourselves. If there are shortcomings in this tiny dining room it might be that they give you too much for too little, i.e., the allowance for ingredients may be slim for four courses. That said, among the times that we visited LT we enjoyed an excellent pumpkin soup with roasted almonds and creme fraiche, exotic mushrooms topped with smoked fish, a good pork loin with a Basque sauce, classic brebis with black cherry compote, a delicious and intriguing cinnamon kissed strawberry soup.

Le Troquet is about value, an unheard of 4 course meal, pleasantly served, for 30 euros. It is about the use of imagination and technique to create a menu from inexpensive, but not to say inferior, ingredients.

It is interesting that so far replies have echoed satisfaction with value and quality, and failure to return with any regularity. It could be that since 2001 there has been an explosion of interesting restaurants in this price range.

eGullet member #80.

• 2 weeks later...

I had the opportunity of eating at Le Troquet today and it was very good. There are 6 starters, 6 mains and 6 desserts without counting another 8 specialties on the ardoise. The starters included a lentil salad with chicken, young vegetables with coquilles, a soup with champignons and a poêlle of sardines with a terrific sweet/sour sauce and sweet pimento – which I had. Mains included magret de canard, cochon, and a shoulder of lamb plus salmon, merlu and daurade with a timbale of herbs which was very piquant – which I had as well. Desserts included a lot of fresh fruits – I had a brochette of pineapple with a caramel glaze. I should mention that everything looked great. The bread was from Poujauran. It was 41E with wine. The 3 course menu is 26E and if the table wants all 6 mains it’s only 37E each. The specials ranged from a terrine of foie gras (8E plus), morilles (14 more) and a cote de veau for 2 (25E more). The sole problem was a couple two tables away having a fight in English but I guess that could happen anywhere and given it's proximity to UNESCO, is to be expected. I left very happy. I’ll not let another 2 years go by before going again.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

thanks john. it seems they have increased the choices on their menu ,which was quite limited. because of that i stopped going about a year ago. i had also detected at the time a deterioration in their cuisine.however your review points to a positive change.so i'll try them out.

• 8 months later...

Returned from dinner this evenig at Le Troquet, as always everything was wonderful. We had an early sitting and felt we were rushed to make choices but thta is the extent of my complaints.

For an entree we chose the terrine of Foie Gras with quince and toast, nothing original but so delicious. We had the Navarin d'agneau avec harcots blancs. Copious servings and truy wonderfull french comfort food.

Our other companion had a creay goat cheese salasd with toast and tomatoe and sweet pepprs This was original and delicious. For her entre she had the rissoto with mussels and scallops, it must have been good as not a rice was left. Desserts were the black and white pots de creme and the fromage offering of the day. Belly's were satiated so the cheese went back untouched and the pots de creme shared but not finished. We had a 2000 Vacueyras which was wonerful. This with three kir royals and supplments for the fois gras came to 55 euros per person.

I love this place.

I need a suggestion for dinner next wedneday, new young bistro with original food, please. Thansks

Paris is a mood...a longing you didn't know you had, until it was answered.

-An American in Paris

Returned from dinner this evenig at Le Troquet, as always everything was wonderful.

I need a suggestion for dinner next wedneday, new young bistro with original food, please. Thansks

I've always thought Le Troquet was an under-appreciated gem.

As for Wednesday, have you been to La Cerisaie yet? It's relatively new, creative, small, charming husband and wife team and changing food. Or Temps au Temps; ditto for all of the above.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

La Cerisaie if you hate smoke in restaurants, Le Temps au Temps if you love smoke in restaurants. :wink: But John's right, you should love both -- la Cerisaie being maybe a bit more classic, the Temps kind of trendy. Enjoy!

"Mais moi non plus, j'ai pas faim! En v'là, une excuse!..."

(Jean-Pierre Marielle)

Thank you both for your suggestions. I am not sure if I have been to Temps au Temps but I have been to Cerisiae. I will try Temps most likely, I was also thinking of Allobroges either this week or next. Is this place new or just mentioned a bit lately?

I am sorry for all my spelling mistakes on my original post, it was 3:00 AM in Paris and I guess I was more tired than I thought!

-An American in Paris

Les Allobrogeshas been around for a few years. It has been on our hit list for some time as it gets good reviews in the Hamburger's "Bistros of Paris" and Pudlo. The only reason we haven't been yet is that it is in the wilds of the 20th. Please report back if you try it.

Edited by Laidback (log)

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick note, I ate at Les Allobroges last week, and I don't understand why the place isn't more popular. Sure the location is out in the boonies but so is La Regalade.

The food was incredible and quite a bargain. You receive 4 courses and an Amuse Bouche for 28 euros. They have a few supplements whcih are well worth the extra.

I had the Galette de Pomme avec Foie Gras Poele (5 euro supp), the Cote De Veau avec Carottes Cumin (sp?) a cheese course (brie de Meaux and Bleu d"Auvergne) and for dessert a Cigare Farci de Chocolat Noir avec une Sauce de Chocolot Blanc. My dinner companion had an Eggplant Appetizer (I ate half of it but I don't remember the name), a confit d'agneau, and his dessert was a Feiullette de Poire et Gingembre avec une Glace Vanille. Please pardon my spelling as French is not my first language and I am too tired at the moment to look up the correct spelling. All in all the resto was a bargain and a place I would definately return. I think the wine ordered was a Saint Joseph, and the only unfortunate part was the aperitifs and water we ordered jacked up the price quite a bit. All I can say is visit this resto if you get the chance, you won't be dissapointed.

-An American in Paris