• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Need Idea's for Costco frozen Lobster chunks

Chris Cognac

OK gang, I am going to smoke briskets, and babybacks tommorow plus fire up the gril for some shrimp skewers.....I saw some frozen lobster chunks at costco for 9 bucks and had to snag them...I was thinking of adding some chunks to the shrimp skewers and just grilling them..or par boiling, then grilling....or just saute and forget the grill...so what do you think?

the chunks are about the size of ice cubes

I will post photos...good or bad

Moo, Cluck, Oink.....they all taste good!

The Hungry Detective

Grilling without the shell could lead to very dry lobster. My favourite method? Butter poached. Easy. Delicious. What time's dinner?!? :raz:

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

steam, toss in French mustard, mayo and chopped herb mixture (dill is good). Put on Hot Dog buns. Lobster Rolls.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

If they are tail meat, as they most likely are, they could be dry and chewy if you do anything other than poaching. . . then again, you could chop them up fine, bind with a little ricotta, throw in some tarragon, and make killer ravioli.

agnolottigirl

~~~~~~~~~~~

"They eat the dainty food of famous chefs with the same pleasure with which they devour gross peasant dishes, mostly composed of garlic and tomatoes, or fisherman's octopus and shrimps, fried in heavily scented olive oil on a little deserted beach."-- Luigi Barzini, The Italians

Yeah I would just poach (or steam). Poaching sounds easiest, and then you can either make the Lobster Rolls with that or do something else with the meat.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

anxious to hear what you did and how it worked...i bought some a few months back, and thought they were kinds gross. (ended up quick-sauting some, and tossing into pasta...tossed the rest into the garbage. :sad: )

"Laughter is brightest where food is best."

www.chezcherie.com

Author of The I Love Trader Joe's Cookbook ,The I Love Trader Joe's Party Cookbook and The I Love Trader Joe's Around the World Cookbook

I am all for poaching the buggers after that I think that Lobster Quesadillas on the grill would be fab. A little fontina, a little grilled melon/pineapple salsa. Lobster-habanero nachoes are a real treat as well.

Tobin

It is all about respect; for the ingredient, for the process, for each other, for the profession.

I am all for poaching the buggers after that I think that Lobster Quesadillas on the grill would be fab. A little fontina, a little grilled melon/pineapple salsa. Lobster-habanero nachoes are a real treat as well.

That might work too....I am grilling and smoking, I really want to stay out of the house if I can....i could just cook em up and throw the quesadilla's right on the grill...Well, keep the idea's coming, I wont start cooking for a few hrs....But when I do its chaos...as I have so much stuff going on at once...and nobody helps me...They just drink beer!

The Hungry Detective

Are they pre cooked at all?

If not why not try to boil or steam only for a minute or two and then add to the smoker with the ribs. A true surf n turf BBQ.

You could slice into medallions and add to a spinach salad of sorts.

Kind of like smoked trout salad.

Bet none of your guests have had smoked lobster-You could famous for them!

Butter poaching is great but if you are like most Costco people it can be really expensive, especially if you break the butter sauce and start again!

Like TJHarris, I would go the "South of the border" route. Rubbed with a spicy herb sauce of cilantro, parsley, chiles, lime juice, garlic, and olive oil, grilled, then served on tortillas. A little bit of Mexican crema, cotija cheese, shredded cabbage and you're golden.

R. Jason Coulston

jason@popcling.com

What did you end up doing, Chris?

I've looked at the lobster tails at Costco many times but always walked away, figuring I'd be better off getting a live bugger and killing and cooking it the way I already know how.

What did you end up doing, Chris?

I've looked at the lobster tails at Costco many times but always walked away, figuring I'd be better off getting a live bugger and killing and cooking it the way I already know how.

I ended up poaching some of the "cubes" in old bay seasoned water, then chopping them, adding dijon mustard, mayo tarragon and lemon juice.....chilled and eaten in hot dog bun...it was nothing special, I added to much lemon.

I will try a chowder with some of the meat soon!

The Hungry Detective