• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Winthrop Food

I'm traveling to the Winthrop area and wanted to know if any of you have experience with food/dining at either Sun Mountain Lodge or the Freestone Inn and what your impressions are. Or if there are any other awesome food experiences to be had nearby.

Stayed at the Freestone Inn once...the food was just OK in my opinion but I'm probably one of the fussier ones around here.

The rooms are very nice and having a restaurant on the property made it a very relaxing couple of days.

The Sun Mountain Lodge looks interesting. Maybe they have an online menu and you could compare the two?

My wife and I have gone to the Winthrop\Twisp area fairly often, and usually stay at Sun Mountain. We have eaten at most of the restaurants in the area, including Freestone and Sun Mountain.

Sun Mountain is probably the most 'gourmet' of all the available offerings in the Methow Valley. The food is good, but they have quite the markup on wine prices, and you will be paying close to downtown Seattle prices for the food and beverage. Freestone is cheaper, but the food is not as good.

We generally eat breakfast or lunch elsewhere, and we are quite fond of the Methow Valley Brewing Company on Highway 20 in Twisp, and the Duck's Brand in downtown Winthrop. The Mazama Country Inn is also pretty good. The Virginian and Three Fingered Jack's in downtown Winthrop are classic greasy spoons with mediocre food.

Regards,

Michael Lloyd

Mill Creek, Washington USA

Sun Mountain's breakfasts are big and reasonably priced-I've enjoyed dinners there as well but like others said, it's pretty expensive. They do have a pub with a less expensive menu but I've not tried it. Everything else I've eaten in Winthrop has been pretty bad, though the Duck Brand does have a nice deck so I will occasionally put up with the very mediocre Mexican food.

An ex-workmate of mine, a pro cook opened a small restaurant in Winthrop. You'd think I know the name, but I don't. It will be a small building, on the river, and the menu has an asian bent to it. He made excellent food at work, and I'd certainly try his place.

I'll ask at work for the name...

“"When you wake up in the morning, Pooh," said Piglet at last, "what's the first thing you say to yourself?"

"What's for breakfast?" said Pooh. "What do you say, Piglet?"

"I say, I wonder what's going to happen exciting today?" said Piglet.

Pooh nodded thoughtfully.

"It's the same thing," he said.”

Ok, it's called Topo, and it's on the main street, across from the Duck's Brand. I'm assured that the food is delicious. If you try it, let us know what you think!

“"When you wake up in the morning, Pooh," said Piglet at last, "what's the first thing you say to yourself?"

"What's for breakfast?" said Pooh. "What do you say, Piglet?"

"I say, I wonder what's going to happen exciting today?" said Piglet.

Pooh nodded thoughtfully.

"It's the same thing," he said.”

though the Duck Brand does have a nice deck so I will occasionally put up with the very mediocre Mexican food.

Somehow, I have found that going to the Duck after a full day of snowshoeing or cross country skiing really seems to improve the quality of the food. :rolleyes: Breakfast is our favorite meal to eat there.

Regards,

Michael Lloyd

Mill Creek, Washington USA