• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Nuts of a feather stick together

thegreatdane

I've been learning how to cover nuts in hard crack syrup, trying to do so evenly without a tumbler, and now it seems the humidity has made them stick together. Is there any way to prevent this and give candy coated nuts a longer shelf life? I'm looking for individual shiny candy coated nuts.

Thanks,

Tom

Is there any way to prevent this and give candy coated nuts a longer shelf life? 

thread here

Just scroll down to the post on Jacques Torres' handling of nuts (the recipe, not the obvious!! :rolleyes: )

After the excess syrup had drained away he turned them onto a sheet pan lined with bakers parchment to harden. When cool he just rubbed them in his hands to break the nuts apart

rub them in your hands ... :laugh:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Thanks, but breaking them apart is not what's difficult, rather it's exposure to humidity, and their subsequent sticking back together. Sure, remove the humidity, but that's impractical. Is there a way to keep them from sticking after they're broken apart? I hope they can remain clear and undamaged on the outside, like jewels.

Great Dane,

Turn your airconditioning up full blast, which will "dry" the air somewhat ... sure the electric bills are painful but one has to take extreme measures to protect their baking investment. :rolleyes:

I know never to attempt meringues in this soggy southeastern climate unless the day is dry ... doesn't work. :sad:

Other than that, go with Jacques Torres' description of a solution.

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"