• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

San Francisco Fort Mason area -- cheap good lunch?

bong

Need a recommendation for a good cheap lunch place near Fort Mason...

Any ideas?

Bonus points if place is kid-friendly.

Really, the only thing within Fort Mason is Greens Vegetarian restaurant. Greens is a lovely restaurant but may not make the kids happy. I loved it, however. Driving distance within Fort Mason is the Embarcadero which is full of touristy places.

I'm sure people who reside within the city will have additional suggestions.

Ghirardelli Square is very close by. It's not exactly a gourmet mecca, though Ana Mandara and McCormick & Kuleto have some fans. By "kid friendly" I don't know if you mean will they tolerate infants, or are the kid(s) old enough to be into fun eating. Boudin's chowder in a sourdough round can be fun, at least the first time, and they have decent sandwiches. Of course there's the Ghirardelli ice cream place. Here's a link to Ghirardelli's eats lineup:

Ghirardelli Dining

Thanks to all who've replied.

When I said cheap, I meant cheap :wink: I don't think Greens and Ana Mandara fall into the cheap category... but thanks anyway. They are both good, though.

What about something on Chestnut Street? I was at Fort Mason this weekend and walked to Chesnut (10 min walk to the shops area). I am not *super* familiar with the area there, but I think Pluto's would fit your criteria, and I am sure there are other restaurants as well.

If you have a car and it's a weekday, another option is Desiree in the Presidio ... excellent sandwiches, soups, salads, etc. They make a box lunch which would be perfect with kids -- grab a few box lunches and take em to Crissy Field. They are only open during the week though.

life begins @ thirty - my food blog

When I said cheap, I meant cheap  :wink: I don't think Greens and Ana Mandara fall into the cheap category... but thanks anyway. They are both good, though.

I think Greens has a take-out counter that is less $.

You could get it to go and enjoy the view from a bench...

The food there sure is good; I just ate there for the first time last week.

Well, if price is the overwhelming factor, and kiddie preferences must be indulged, here are a few possibilities:

CHAINS

pizza

- Round Table Pizza [next to the Safeway (which has serviceable deli - should you decide to eat al fresco, rather than dine inside), across from Fort Mason]

- Pizzeria Uno [Lombard @ Steiner]

burgers

- Burger King [in the Presidio - with a phenomenal view of the Golden Gate]

- Johnny Rocket's [Chestnut @ Pierce]

- Mel's Drive-In [Lombard nr Steiner]

+ Barney's Gourmet Hamburgers [3344 Steiner St. nr Chestnut]

NON-CHAINS

Chestnut Street offers a number of possibilities that aren't too darn pricey, but they all vary in quality & in accommodations - while I'd be inclined to grab a burrito (@ Los Hermanos) or a sandwich (@ Lucca Deli) & head to Marina Green to eat on the bay, I realize it's a little tougher with li'l ones. These places would offer some choices AND have some room for families

- China Village [2263 Chestnut] used to be very reasonably priced, and had wide variety of menu items - even if there was little that was particularly distinctive - but I haven't been there in ages

- Bechelli's Coffee Shop [2346 Chestnut] is great for lunchtime breakfasts (yes, and burgers)

There's plenty more in the neighborhood - it all kind of depends on any other parameters you might have.

Buen provecho,

Richard

Berkeley/SF, CA

Just to update Chef Ptomaine's post:

China Village has closed (soon to be replaced by the newest asian tapas venture from the owners of Isa).

Bechelli's is good for old time soda fountain-esque eggs and burgers, but the tab mount quickly.

Other thoughts:

Pluto's has flexible hours (open all afternoon) and good prices. Another option is Fresh Catch (near Chestnut and Filmore), they serve a good mix of grilled fish, salad and sandwiches with delicious sweet potato fries.

Lots of options as you walk down Chestnut, so stroll and pick your favorite.

Enjoy!