• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Copper River Salmon

What time should we be there?  :biggrin:

With my schedule as of late, 1 A.M. Monday morning should be about right. :wacko:

Drink!

I refuse to spend my life worrying about what I eat. There is no pleasure worth forgoing just for an extra three years in the geriatric ward. --John Mortimera

I'm going to wait a few weeks for the price to drop. Then I'm going to try The French Laundry's Salmon Cornet with Red Onion and Crème Fraîche just to see how it is in its 'tartare' state.

Then I think I'll sear a couple of fillets and plate it on a bed of braised morel mushrooms and bacon cracklin's drizzled with white truffle oil and a side of horseradish béarnaise. Top it all with fleur de sel and crushed tellicherry pepper. For the wine it'll be a toss up between going towards a contrast with Pinot Noir (probably Domain Drouhin or Beaux Freres) or going for a complement with a bottle of 1995 Masi Amaroni.

What time should we be there? :biggrin:

Man I was just thinking the same thing, we even have both the wines so we can contribute! haha!

I was actually thinking of doing the Salmon Cornet also :wub:

King(Chinook) has a much higher fat content than Sockeye although Sockeye, I feel, has more flavor.

Uwajimaya has $23.99 for King Salmon fillet and $14.99 for Sockeye fillet.

$12.99 for whole CR Sockeye.

All prices are per pound.

Why is the CR King always more expensive than sockeye?

Everyone in the seafood biz knows that sockeye is the king (best)!

-hungry_moose

Good question. I always liked the sockeye better as well.

I'm not a salmon fan, actually it's near impossible to get me to eat it but I tried some Copper River at work today and it was damn good...

I know that as of today at least 5 restaurants in PDX have it on the menu.

Ahhh... the CR King fillet as good as I remembered.

Just grilled a half-pound fillet and it was so juicy and buttery.

Fish this good should be available year-round!

But maybe it's a good thing that it's available only for a few weeks each year otherwise I would be flat-broke. :)

Highly recommend CR salmon, everyone should try it once at least.

Also $19.99/pound for sockeye here in Grand Rapids.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

I got some Taku River Salmon last week from Wild Salmon, the seafood merchant that shares space with A&J Meats in Queen Anne. It was the first time I'd ever heard of it, but boy was I glad I tried it -- it was superb, as good as any salmon I can recall tasting.

I don't have a BBQ or smoker and don't have room for one on my apartment balcony. What would be a good way to cook salmon in an oven or on the stove (or is that a waste of good salmon)?

"Homer, he's out of control. He gave me a bad review. So my friend put a horse head on the bed. He ate the head and gave it a bad review! True Story." Luigi, The Simpsons

I don't have a BBQ or smoker and don't have room for one on my apartment balcony.  What would be a good way to cook salmon in an oven or on the stove (or is that a waste of good salmon)?

Not a waste at all, elswinger. Here's what I usually do. Preheat the oven to 500. Using a cast iron pan or a nonstick pan you don't particularly care about, put a dash of oil in the pan and heat over high heat for a couple of minutes. Salt and pepper the salmon well on both sides. Place it in the pan skin side up and sear it for about a minute. Flip the salmon and transfer the pan to the oven. For a thick king fillet, about seven or eight minutes in the oven gets me to medium-rare, and the skin is perfect.

I learned this technique from a Mark Bittman article, and now basically any time I cook salmon another way, I wonder why I didn't do it the usual way.

Matthew Amster-Burton, aka "mamster"

Author, Hungry Monkey, coming in May

I second mamster's advice. But if you do pan-roast, get a cast-iron pan or, if using a nonstick pan, keep the oven to more like 400. A temp of 500 will do bad things to your nonstick pan, and even if you don't care about the pan, the fumes can't do anything good for the salmon or you, not to mention any household pets.

I used to have trouble making salmon come out right on the BBQ. I'm amused by people who wrap it in foil and then BBQ it -- what's the point of the BBQ there (besides the primal feeling of playing with fire outdoors)?

But I have had great luck cooking salmon on a wood plank on the BBQ, because the plank keeps the salmon intact and moist and (if this isn't just my imagination) adds flavor. When I don't feel like bothering with that, pan-roasting is my standard technique.

Bruce

Edited by Bruce Burger (log)

Preemptive Disclaimer:

I once knew a guy who would coat the salmon fillets in mayonnaise and sliced dill pickles. Wrap in aluminum foil and grill! Can you imagine? I think newspaper played a role in the process but I have blocked it out of my memory. I do remember the experience ruining my taste for salmon for a couple of years. He told me it was an old fashioned Northwest recipe.

So much for regional cuisine...

Edited to add that I just realized (duh) maybe this was a kind of tarter sauce treatment?

Edited by olivina (log)

CR sockeye at $8.99/lb. at Pure Foods yesterday. Grilled over charcoal on a cedar plank. Major YUM.

My wallet is weeping as I type this :raz:. Here on the east coast, I just paid $25/lb for CR sockeye fillets at the Wegman's in Fairfax. But it's worth it to me. I absolutely love the flavor. Sauteed in butter with a tad of kosher salt, white pepper, lemon juice and chives (swoons at keyboard). Alas, one more price to be paid for living on the East Coast :wacko:.

"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more Champagne." John Maynard Keynes

. . . .Alas, one more price to be paid for living on the East Coast :wacko:.

Yeah, but do they get soft shell Atlantic Blue Crab in the PNW?

We get it shipped in, but quality can be shaky as you might guess. When its good, its fabulous though.

Do ya'll get Dungeness? :raz:

Born Free, Now Expensive

We get it shipped in, but quality can be shaky as you might guess. When its good, its fabulous though.

Do ya'll get Dungeness?  :raz:

Same answer for Dungeness :raz::raz::raz:. Quality is all over the board. I've eaten the real thing in CA, and it is wonderful, but sometimes doesn't travel very well.

"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more Champagne." John Maynard Keynes