• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Copper River Salmon

Hey, you're not the only one enjoying CR sockeye, I picked up a 1/2 fillet here in the shities for $12/lb. Though I have to admit, it was missing some flavor. Maybe it was the extra 6 hour flight?

I took the plunge. $23.99/lb for CR King filet at Whole Foods.

We soaked alder planks overnight, put them on a medium gas grill for a few minutes before topping them with the fish, which had been given a light dry rub. We cooked it medium rare, then transferred the filets and their planks to serving platters, where the residual heat cooked them a bit more. We served the salmon with a crunchy red onion and dill relish cured in lemon juice with EVOO and white pepper.

CR King may be expensive, but this was beautiful fish. It was extremely rich and smooth on the palate, with a deep salmon flavor but none of the fishy aroma you find in lesser or improperly handled fish--you would hardly guess it's the same species as the farm-raised stuff. It restored my faith in salmon being a fish worth eating.

Chief Scientist / Amateur Cook

MadVal, Seattle, WA

Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code

• 11 months later...

I talked to one of the guys at Inversity Fish and poultry, they said that the copper will be in soon.

I asked about the Yukon, ('cause I agree with you, Bastila Shan...iz Yummy! Mmmmm.....Fatty Salmon....) he said that it would be in after the copper river and would be pricier....but hell, its worth it to me.

(Everybody now....Mmmmmm....Fatty Salmon.... :laugh::raz::laugh: )

Jason

"So, do you want me to compromise your meal for you?" - Waitress at Andy's Diner, Dec 4th, 2004.

The Fat Boy Guzzle --- 1/2 oz each Jack Daniels, Wild Turkey, Southern Comfort, Absolut Citron over ice in a pint glass, squeeze 1/2 a lemon and top with 7-up...Credit to the Bar Manager at the LA Cafe in Hong Kong who created it for me on my hire. Thanks, Byron. Hope you are well!

http://bloatitup.com

I talked to one of the guys at Inversity Fish and poultry, they said that the copper will be in soon.

I asked about the Yukon, ('cause I agree with you, Bastila Shan...iz Yummy! Mmmmm.....Fatty Salmon....) he said that it would be in after the copper river and would be pricier....but hell, its worth it to me.

(Everybody now....Mmmmmm....Fatty Salmon.... :laugh:  :raz:  :laugh: )

Jason

There's smoked Yukon at Madison Market right now.. mmm... fatty and smoked salmon :)

I'm firmly in the camp that Copper River and Yukon brands are not just a marketing ploy, but am not interested in trying to prove it. :wink:

I usually get both when available and actually did a non-blind side-by-side last year with the outcome that I preferred the Yukon.

I asked at Mutual Fish recently and they said the same as what everyone else has reported hear. Copper River late this month, followed by Yukon in early to mid June.

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

I just spoke with the folks at Pure Fish. The Copper River run officially opened at 7 AM this morning. They expect to have some in tomorrow morning. I know what I'm having for dinner this week.

Practice Random Acts of Toasting

We're going to the Copper River Salmon and Oregon Pinot Noir Extravaganza at Ray's Boathouse a week from Thursday. We've not been to this annual event before but friends have, and they rave about it.

Ray's Boathouse! That's where I was introduced to Copper River King precisely 18 years ago this month, on my first trip to the PNW from Philadelphia.

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

(Everybody now....Mmmmmm....Fatty Salmon.... :laugh:  :raz:  :laugh: )

Jason

There's smoked Yukon at Madison Market right now.. mmm... fatty and smoked salmon :)

I bow to you, Laurel!!!!

Mmmmm....Smoked Fat.... :laugh::laugh::laugh:

"So, do you want me to compromise your meal for you?" - Waitress at Andy's Diner, Dec 4th, 2004.

The Fat Boy Guzzle --- 1/2 oz each Jack Daniels, Wild Turkey, Southern Comfort, Absolut Citron over ice in a pint glass, squeeze 1/2 a lemon and top with 7-up...Credit to the Bar Manager at the LA Cafe in Hong Kong who created it for me on my hire. Thanks, Byron. Hope you are well!

http://bloatitup.com

Got Copper River Sockeye fillets today at QFC for a terrible price of $24.95/lb. Would have done better getting a whole Sockeye at Key City Fish in Port Townsend and having them fillet it and freeze what we didn't eat at $12.95/lb. Wanted to be sure we got some before we left for Russia etc. on Friday and it will be all gone when we come back in mid-June. Sometimes "wants" overcome price, sadly.

Kay

I'm going to wait a few weeks for the price to drop. Then I'm going to try The French Laundry's Salmon Cornet with Red Onion and Crème Fraîche just to see how it is in its 'tartare' state.

Then I think I'll sear a couple of fillets and plate it on a bed of braised morel mushrooms and bacon cracklin's drizzled with white truffle oil and a side of horseradish béarnaise. Top it all with fleur de sel and crushed tellicherry pepper. For the wine it'll be a toss up between going towards a contrast with Pinot Noir (probably Domain Drouhin or Beaux Freres) or going for a complement with a bottle of 1995 Masi Amaroni.

Drink!

I refuse to spend my life worrying about what I eat. There is no pleasure worth forgoing just for an extra three years in the geriatric ward. --John Mortimera

I think I saw a price of $27.99 at PCC - Greenwood for King Copper River Salmon. It was this morning early, though, so I was not at my most alert.

edited because I wasn't alert to grammar either.

Edited by crouching tyler (log)

Robin Tyler McWaters

I'm going to wait a few weeks for the price to drop. Then I'm going to try The French Laundry's Salmon Cornet with Red Onion and Crème Fraîche just to see how it is in its 'tartare' state.

Then I think I'll sear a couple of fillets and plate it on a bed of braised morel mushrooms and bacon cracklin's drizzled with white truffle oil and a side of horseradish béarnaise. Top it all with fleur de sel and crushed tellicherry pepper. For the wine it'll be a toss up between going towards a contrast with Pinot Noir (probably Domain Drouhin or Beaux Freres) or going for a complement with a bottle of 1995 Masi Amaroni.

What time should we be there? :biggrin:

Practice Random Acts of Toasting