• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Copper River Salmon

We got CR at Safeway for $7.99/lb for fillets. Had it the other night and it is on the menu again tomorrow. Will have to give the receipe Abra made a try. It sure looked great.

Kay

My Copper River sockeye arrived yesterday (Wednesday) and it was shipped from Alaska the day before. I plan to cook it on Saturday night. Will it keep in the refrigerator for 3-4 days or should I freeze it? Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Two days is the borderline between when it's worthwhile to freeze. If you're thinking 3-4, I'd freeze it.

Here's mine from last week. Broiled in my electric oven with some EVOO, pepper and Fleur de Sel.

gallery_36558_2963_126342.jpg

I know its a bit late... but anyone know if its possible to order quality CR king online?? if so, where? I've called citarella in nyc and they don't have it anymore =( or, if anywhere in nyc would still have it?

Edited by cchen (log)

You can order from Pure Food Fish Market in Seattle, one of the best fish markets in Seattle at Pure Food. You can also order from Pike Place Fish, the guys who thow fish around, online. The fish isn't as great but they will let you order in smaller quantities. Then there is Mutual Fish, arguably the grandaddy of all good seafood purveyors in Seattle. They don't have online ordering but you can call in an order.

Rocky

Edited by rockdoggydog (log)

I know its a bit late... but anyone know if its possible to order quality CR king online?? if so, where? I've called citarella in nyc and they don't have it anymore =( or, if anywhere in nyc would still have it?

If there's no CR available, order Yukon River King instead, its better anyways.... :wink: I know Mutual has it right now.

Edited by tighe (log)

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

• 3 weeks later...

If there's no CR available, order Yukon River King instead, its better anyways.... :wink: I know Mutual has it right now.

Did a taste comparison between regular wild king bought off the boat and Yukon River King, both prepared the same way. The Yukon River was incredible, and of course, won this comparison easily. Get some if you can.

Born Free, Now Expensive

We made Yukon River salmon a few weeks ago and it was incredible! We grilled it and there were flare-ups because it was so oily. Afterwards, Henry asked Charles (the chef de cuisine at Mistral) the best way to cook it, and Charles said to cook it in a pan to medium, so the fat isn't wasted.

copper river has done a wonderful job of marketing and name branding their fish. helicopters standing by to whisk fish off to jets with their engines running?? whoa jim!!!

we're working on name branding our local salmon but i don't think they have settled upon the final marketing name.

salmon that has been frozen, is, well, frozen salmon. but if it's your best option, cold water salmon will still be the most flavorful (fat). farm raised? it has it's place for reducing the cost of fish protein.............

real fish don't eat pellets.

joe

petersburg, alaska

sure it rains alot, what's your point?