• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Aching for a baking?

browniebaker

Broken eggs -- yes, that's one excuse I have used, too.

I have thought of some more of the excuses I have used:

- baking will also heat the house (only good in cold months, though)

- have to season cast-iron pans in the oven, so bake

- time to calibrate the oven, so bake

- need a hostess-gift in a pinch; bake shortbread

- baking is healthier than frying

- kids know not to bother me when I am standing at the oven because it's dangerous

- "Nothin' says lovin' like somethin' in the oven." (I actually SAY this.)

If I am going to get flour all over the counters/mixer/floor/kitchen anyway, why not whip up a couple of extra loaves of bread, some cookies and a cake...

Okay, came up with another excuse this morning: apology baking.

Yesterday afternoon my guest parked her car in a way that blocked my neighbor's half of our shared driveway. I didn't know it until I found the neighbor at my front door, obviously miffed because he had been knocking on my door for a while and I could not hear him from another part of my house. So I baked a plate of chunky chewy cinnamon--y oatmeal-raisin cookies. He gave me a kiss and hug and I feel better.

Edited by browniebaker (log)

Can't let that flour get old!!

Or the baking powder!

My husband is back from a 2 week trip to Tokyo. Need something for him to take into work to share.

(when my KA mixer was new) Got to break it in. Got to break in the hook attachment. Got to break in the whip...

Oven got recalibrated

Any time I spend on this forum usually makes me go running for the baking pans.

"I just hate health food"--Julia Child

Jennifer Garner

buttercream pastries

Another excuse: gift-reciprocation baking.

Last week a dad in the parent-child exercise class that my daughter and I take together gave us a sizeable bag of Sri Lankan tea to try, and it was delicious. What to do when you don't know someone very well and they have given you a gift? Bake a gift!