• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Non - Fast Mexican

RockADS21

I think I am in the majority when I say that I have often sought after an authentic New Jersey Mexican restaurant to practically no avail. It seems that Mexican food in this area for the most part means Jose Tejas, On The Border or Chevy's. While those places serve their pupose I often tend to just stick with a margurita and chips and salsa at the bar (they actually all generally have good tequilla). I am however still wondering if there are some good legit Mexican restarants out there that I am unaware of. I was told that Ixtapa in Morristown was very good but shortly after read a review in New Jersey Monthly that made it sound just average. Thoughts on Ixtapa and any other suggestions are much appreciated.

A.D.S.

Ixtapa was ok, it tries too hard to be "nouvelle" mexican and thus was far less effective in producing authentic mexican food.

Don Jose on RT10 in east hanover with the shopping center with Penang is a nice family owned mexican restaurant. Also theres one in Chatham in the old diner next to New Main Taste thai (used to be called Mexico Lindo) but not sure what they call it now.

Jono's in Edgewater is ok but I like it mainly for fajitas, their menu is somewhat limited.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Be careful what you ask when you say you want "real" Mexican!  There is an authentic Mexican place in Red Bank across from the train station called "La Chalupa" that is run by Mexicans and caters to the recently booming Mexican immigrant population.  If you go there, English spoken by the staff or customers is in the minority.

There is litle if any cheese used in the cooking except for som whitish semi hard cheese used for flavor.  No globs of melted cheddar and jack cheese over puddles of ranchero sauce.  Also there is none of the standard tomato salsas, instead chips are served with both verde and rojas sauces.  Guacamole is excellent and is made to order.

There are a number of seafood, poultry and meat dishes, tacos (soft, I like the spiced pork), burritos, enchiladas and quesadillas, as well as several house specialties.  I would hesitate to take someone to La Chalupa who is really used to the more familiar Tex-Mex type places, as the fare here is very different.

Oh, and the prices are pretty authentic too, as I can get away with appetizer, entree, tax and tip for under ฟ!

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

Having lived in Mexico studying Spanish at the University of Guanajuato for four months through the summer of '84, I can truly say I know what true Mexican food is. Sounds good!

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

It's in NY, so technically this might not meet our conditions--but since it is very close to the NJ border you might travel to El Bandito in Spring Valley.  It might be counted as true Mex because it is owned and operated by Mexicans, on the other hand they do seem to use cheese in many of their dishes (although not in many others...)  Pork Chops and Steaks are more typical of their menu, however, than Tacos or Fajitas--although they've got those too.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

I forgot to mention the atmosphere at La Chalupa; wall posters advertizing upcoming hispanic music events and Mexican pop songs on the jukebox along with Spanish television, all too loud.  It's great!

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

Quote: from Rail Paul on 11:50 pm on Sep. 5, 2001

Is the El Bandito in West orange still in business? I know the one in Fairfield went belly up a few years ago...

Yes, however the last few times I went the meal was mediocre at best, and when I saw a Conditionally Unsatisfactory Health Dept. notice, I walked out.

Down the block is Los Tapitos, very good, albeit slow service.

Don Jose's in East Hanover is a BYO, and a carbon caopy of El Banditos' menu, and the food is VERRRRY heavy.

http:/www.etuinc.com

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

the food at mexicali rose is pretty good but they rush you so much that we were in and out in 45 minutes and we even stalled our server by ordering apps first before ordering our food; did not even have time to finish my margarita!!!

Depending upon what you mean by "authentic Mexican":

Carmelita's:  I've never been to the new one, but when he was in Hoboken, the food was good and "authentic" (however, see next entry)

Mission Burritos: i'm not sure of the relationship, but one of the first workers i saw at Carmelita's is running this (mostly) take-out Mexican in Hoboken.  The chicken burrito is the best i've ever had!  However, the prices seem to go up every 6 months, but at ~Ű, still represents a decent value.  Only a counter there to eat at, which most don't do.  Looks like a "hole in the wall", but the food is GOOD!  Also, you know it's authentic as there are 3 main guys that run the place, each works for 8 months straight (7 days a week) and then takes 4 months vacation and goes back home to Mexico.  Then the when he returns for 8 months, the next goes back to Mexico, and so-on.  When the weather is nice, they do have some tables out front, or you can bring it to the park across the street and eat on a bench.

The Baja: i wouldn't describe it as "authentic", but it's the best  Mexican around (you'll never go back to Jose Tejas or Chevy's after this place).  There's only 1 thing to order from the menu, "The Baja Special."  It's a family style platter served with (an awesome) marinated steak, grilled chicken, and JUMBO shrimp (i ask for all of the shrimp grilled).  The menu warns, "Only healthy appetites should venture" and it's the truth.  It's for a minimum of 2 people, and if you're 4 or more you can order it for one less than is in your party (there will still be leftovers).  Refried beans, rice, and tortillas (freshly homemade, like none other i've had) come on the side along with guacomole and sour cream.  It's ~ย/pp, and ocaisionally they charge extra for sharing (ie-if you order for 3 but are 4 people at the table).  The margaritas are great as well (i recommend on the rocks at this place) and they have over 100 tequillas behind the bar!

Quote: from thereuare on 4:04 pm on Nov. 12, 2001

There's only 1 thing to order from the menu, "The Baja Special."  It's a family style platter served with (an awesome) marinated steak, grilled chicken, and JUMBO shrimp (i ask for all of the shrimp grilled).  The menu warns, "Only healthy appetites should venture" and it's the truth.  It's for a minimum of 2 people, and if you're 4 or more you can order it for one less than is in your party (there will still be leftovers).  Refried beans, rice, and tortillas (freshly homemade, like none other i've had) come on the side along with guacomole and sour cream.  

i have to disagree with this point.  although i think baja is pretty good for what it is (cheese-laden "tex-mex" with kick-ass margaritas), i don't find this dish exceptional in any manner.  they have other entrees that you wouldn't find at the chains that are quite good.  one that comes to mind is skewered and grilled filet mignon and shrimp.  the "baja special" is simply a pile of fajita meat (chicken/beef) and shrimp done 3 ways (one is parmagian which is simply a turn-off IMHO).  yeah, the grilled shrimp is tasty on this platter, but for the money, there simply isn't enough variety or quality.   this dish seemed more "fun", which is probably its best attribute, when it wasn't listed on the menu, and only those in "the know" would order, garnering points and whispers from jealous nearby tables.

the chicken soup, however, is fantastic.

Tommy,

I assumed that the steak on the meal you're discussing is the same as the steak on the platter, and getting all the shrimp grilled, again, equates it with the shrimp on the dish you're speaking of... so the only difference is the chicken (which i'll admit is the weakest part of the dish, although still good).  If i'm correct in the above (and i DID assume), then i think the "special" represents one of the best values on the menu, as it is A LOT more food than any individual dish (even when split), and just  a few dollars more.

I usually tell people that it's the only thing on the menu to order because i was getting tired of telling people that i like this restaurant, only to tell me that they've been there and didn't think it was anything special.  I would then either go with them, or tell them to retry it, but order "the special."  I would then hear how it was better than anything else they've had there.

I also agree with you that it makes the meal "fun."  I've NEVER gone there with a group of people and had anybody in the group complain or claim that it wasn't a GREAT meal.  I do usually go with there with a group.

Have you tried Mission Burritos at all?  I used to go to East LA happy hour often, but since the Amanda's management has taken over, the margarita prices have gone up, up, up!  I remember Happy Hour margaritas at Ū.25... now they're ~Ŭ.25 during Happy Hour, Ů other times. (where's the deal there?)

Quote: from thereuare on 6:39 pm on Nov. 13, 2001

I assumed that the steak on the meal you're discussing is the same as the steak on the platter, and getting all the shrimp grilled, again, equates it with the shrimp on the dish you're speaking of... so the only difference is the chicken (which i'll admit is the weakest part of the dish, although still good

different cut of meat.  different marinade.   you are probably doing yourself a favor by ordering only grilled shrimp with the special.  the other two preparations are horrible.

i'm not one to look for values, and i don't think fajitas are anything special regardless of the price.  ok, maybe i'd be convinced if Daniel offered a 60 dollar foie gras and truffle fajita, but i'm just pretentious like that.

i've tried mission burrito, and the others.  they are mostly the same.  lots of rice, a little meat.  pound for pound they represent good value.  i just don't think burritos are very special either!  although, the new-ish place on Washington and 4th or so (adobe or something?) seems to be a step above the rest.

east la was lots of fun for a while for brunch.  however, waiting on line for greasy food followed by stumbling home drunk from those margaritas at 3 in the afternoon got old, probably right around the time i did.  i do miss the days when i could do that though!

Tommy,

I'll disagree with you on the amount of meat at Mission... they load it up, but it sounds like the place is not your style.

If you ever travel to Chicago, it sounds like this "hot" place run by Rick Bayless is what you look for in Mexican He has 2 restaurants which occupy the same building, Frontera Grill and Topolobampo.  If you like to cook, he also has a book out called "Mexico, One Plate at a Time."  He often tours Mexico looking for new spices, suppliers, and dishes.

thereuare,

if you're in hoboken, you might find los compadres interesting.  it's on first street btwn willow and clinton.  i have an overall problem with people claiming this or that is "authentic", but certainly this place is "authentic something."  

sit your butt down at the counter and order a couple of their 2 dollar chicken tacos, which come garnished only with onions and cilantro with red and green sauce on the side.  a nice little treat.  

i've never had their mole, but Los Dos Rancheros in NYC has fabulous mole, and the place is of the same vein.

(Edited by tommy at 11:29 am on Nov. 14, 2001)

Tommy,

Attempted to try the Ū chicken tacos today at Los Compadres.  I drove by on my way home from an errand and didn't see the place, so i looked them up in the phone book, took the address with me, and was off for a walk.  Well, upon approaching 302 1st Street, nothing there but a sign on the door that says "CLOSED."  I looked into the window and it looks like all the restaurant equipment is gone.

Perhaps they were selling Ū tacos which cost ū to make?  Guess i won't be able to fufill my curiosity.

that's a shame. although, the place never looked like much to begin with!  well, since you're close to NYC, go to los dos rancheros on 9th ave at 38th.  it's an even *better* example of 2 dollar tacos (we refer to the place as "the cheap tacos place" and mole and pumpkin sauces.  real cheap stuff.  pleasant young servers.  and foosball.

• 1 month later...

Found a great little hole-in-the-wall with authentic Mexican food in Bogota.  It is called:

El Gran Mexicano

64 West Main Street

Bogota, NJ  07603

(201) 489-0905 or

1-866-MEX-TO-GO

It is located right across the Post Office on Main Street.  Bogota is not very large so it should be easy to find.  I believe there is a sign out fron that says something like "Kitchenette".

I am originally from South Texas and let me tell you this is good food.  I have been lookinf all over for authentic Mexican and this has some Tex-Mex flair to it as well.

hey have a great lunch special.  ŭ.50 which includes your choice of entree, rice, beans, and chips & salsa.

Everything is home-made (except the tortillas - probably to save money).  They cut the corn tortillas right in front of you and place them in the deep fryer to make the chips.

They have a good selection as well: enchiladas (red, green or mole), tostadas, flautas, burritos, quesadillas, tamals, mixiote, carne asada, and much more.

I highly recommend stopping in for a bite.

When you walk in, there is a table to your right and a table in the back.  The rest of the seating consist of a diner bar with approx. 10 stools where you sit and watch the cooks make your meal.  Very little English is spoken and the cooks are friendly.

Enjoy.

I have to say I like Baja in Hoboken, but then again I don't like extremely authentic Mexican.  I lived in South Orange for 6 years and Toro Loco is great authentic Mexican.  

I go to Baja for the intense selection of margaritas, and becareful on some of the dishes - anything labeled with cilantro is and overdose - but I've always had an extremely funny waiter, and although it's always busy there the service has been great.