• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Freezing or Making Tea Sandwiches in advance

bottomlesspit

I wouldn't.

Frozen bread is a nasty thing and the joy of tea sandwiches is the fact that they are fresh. Depending on what you are using as a spread, it could seep into the bread and make them that much more unpalatable.

If really pressed for time, consider making them the night before and wrapping tightly in plastic and foil wrap.

It's common in catering to make the tea sandwiches the day before. They're then stored, covered with a barely damp towel/paper towel, then tightly wrapped in plastic wrap. The moisture in the towel prevents the bread from drying out.

While this is a good technique, you should note that this is best done with meat/cheese/cream cheese fillings (sturdy, without an excess of moisture). Any sandwich made with a vegetable next to the bread (tomato, cucumber, etc) will turn soggy overnight. And any lettuce will usually wilt overnight in a sandwich.

“"When you wake up in the morning, Pooh," said Piglet at last, "what's the first thing you say to yourself?"

"What's for breakfast?" said Pooh. "What do you say, Piglet?"

"I say, I wonder what's going to happen exciting today?" said Piglet.

Pooh nodded thoughtfully.

"It's the same thing," he said.”

In addition to what's already been said:

No matter what the filling will be, coat the bread with a thin layer of butter first. This will act as a barrier to slow down the sogging. (Plus, of course, it adds a hint of yummy butter flavor. :wink:)

Hours before and wrapped as lala says, yes. The day before, well maybe, but the quality will suffer.

You can also do almost all of the prep a day ahead, making the fillings, prepping the vegetables, even buttering the bread. Wrap each element separately and well. Then assemble and cut the sandwiches shortly before the event.

Thanks! I knew I'd get a good and quick reply here.

I'm not all that keen on making them the day before, either, but this is what my client has requested (I think she doesn't want me there the day of the shower so she can take credit - which is just fine - part of what I get paid for).

Just so I've got it straight - wrap first in lightly dampened towel or paper towel then tightly in plastic? Do you stack several? And would it help to put pieces of wax paper in between?

And another thing - just what is the difference between plain old sandwich bread (which is the kind I've always used) and the "very thin, homemade style white bread" referred to in all my tea sandwich recipes?

sg

I wrap in damp towel and then in plastic. Then I have put them into one of those large retangular tupperware like containers in multiple layers when fridge space is tight and they can then be stacked. I use Pepperidge Farms Thin sliced white bread as I think that the thin slices have a better texture and are less gummy than regular sandwich loaves. Tne best is still "pain de mie" thinly sliced

Totally agree with the Pepperidge Farm call -- you can't get thinner and better for sandwich bread. And, thankfully, they make their loaves almost perfectly square so cutting off the crust means less loss of bread.