• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The St. George Greek Festival in Hamilton

Rich Pawlak

This is my favorite of the many Greek festivals in and around Philly and NJ, big, boisterous, enthusiastically staffed, and full of terrific food, pastries and music.

This year's St George Greek festival, with the best outdoor-grill gyros I've ever had, advertises this schedule:

5/20 5-10PM

5/21 11AM 12MID

5/22 11AM-12 MID

5/23 12N-8PM

From 12 years experience, I can tell you that the indoor buffet food starts to run out at around 8:30-9PM, but the outdoor grills run late, with both chicken and pork souvlaki, as well as gyros. The food is all ridiculously cheap. Admission in the evening is $2.

The pastry tables here, as well as tables with other Greek staples, are especially good, as are the flea market rooms in the attached grade school and the salon for selling interesting iconography.

My habit has been to attend on Friday night, and I will do so this year, around 7PM.

This has all the makings of a cool night out for Greek food enthusiasts. See you there!

The address, for Mapquesting:

St George Greek Orthodox Church

1200 Klockner Rd.

Hamilton Township, NJ

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

Thanks Rich! As you know, Gary and I are well travelled in the Greek Food Festival circuit around these parts, so this is one to put on the calendar. I love Greek food and it's never better than when the "Church Ladies" are making it!

I'll confirm and let you know for sure whether we can make it that Friday.

YUM!!! Moussaka!! 1291.gif

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Rich. spot on! this is always a fun event..I've only been perhaps two fo the last 5-6 years...its at that end of school-busy work season time...but it is fun, festive and GREAT food as Rich says.