• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Aviation

slkinsey

There's a bad way?

aka David Wondrich

There are, according to recent statistics, 147 female bartenders in the United States. In the United Kingdom the barmaid is a feature of the wayside inn, and is a young woman of intelligence and rare sagacity. --The Syracuse Standard, 1895

I'm sorry I wasn't clear. I ment a cheap french whore, using an overabundance of inexpensive eau du tiolette, instead of an expensive french whore dabbing a bit of subtle perfume behind perfect ears.

A DUSTY SHAKER LEADS TO A THIRSTY LIFE

My question stands.

aka David Wondrich

There are, according to recent statistics, 147 female bartenders in the United States. In the United Kingdom the barmaid is a feature of the wayside inn, and is a young woman of intelligence and rare sagacity. --The Syracuse Standard, 1895

I believe the only three producers of Maraschino are Luxardo, Maraska, and Stock.

Bols also makes a Maraschino Liqueur - it's the only one available where I live. To me it tastes like a sweet floral soap, but I still very much enjoy Aviations which make use of it. I can't compare it to Luxardo (I'll pick up a bottle next time I'm in the US) but I imagine it's only vaguely similar.

The only bad way would be inexpertly.

Sir, you speak the language of my tribe.

aka David Wondrich

• 3 weeks later...

I recently had my first Aviation, at the Bayswater Brasserie. It was lighter and more refreshing than I'd expected. It mostly tasted lemony, but since it wasn't blue I'm assuming they used some form of maraschino rather than the Violette.

I may just have to get some maraschino of my own...

There Will Be Bloody Marys

I recently had my first Aviation, at the Bayswater Brasserie.  It was lighter and more refreshing than I'd expected.  It mostly tasted lemony, but since it wasn't blue I'm assuming they used some form of maraschino rather than the Violette.

I may just have to get some maraschino of my own...

A aviation with violette shouldn't be blue, the violette is in such a small amount that it should give the drink a slight pearlescent to it.

john

John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2

--

I feel sorry for people that don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day -- Dean Martin

The only bad way would be inexpertly.

Sir, you speak the language of my tribe.

you guys are my heroes... haven't laughed so hard...

when you use the violette, do you leave out the maraschino?

crap... i can special order the R&W creme de violette from a PA liquor store, but looks like the min order is 3. anyone in the pittsburgh area want to split an order?

I was reading a friend's copy of decembers Imbibe magazine the other day and noted that it had several websites for ordering creme de violette.  Don't have the magazine, but maybe the article is online.

Regarding the amount of Maraschino, others have noted that it depends on the type used. I'll use 1/4 to 1/2oz of Maraska, but just a teaspoon of Luxardo, the latter can quickly take over a cocktail. Got my Maraska in California from Bev Warehouse in LA - and they also mail order.

The Alpenz website lists a few retail stores that mail order most anywhere. I also just saw the Violette at Morrrell Wine last week, and they've been good with delivering 'relief supplies' into two control states I've been stuck working.

you guys are my heroes... haven't laughed so hard...

when you use the violette, do you leave out the maraschino?

Typically, I'm used to seeing an aviation with the usual drink proportions (2 oz. gin, 1/2 oz. lemon juice, about a teaspoon of maraschino) and then a barspoon of violette floated on top. But yeah, it's typically in addition to, rather than replacing, the maraschino.
Mayur Subbarao, aka "Mayur"

• 2 weeks later...

I tried these proportions in an aviation, and ugh. Too much violette. Way too perfumey.

2oz Gin

1/2oz Lemon Juice

2tsp. Maraschino

1tsp. Creme De Violette

I tried to fix it with more gin and lemon juice, but I still feel like I'm at the opera and breathing in three different kinds of heavily-applied perfume. I'd suggest 1/4 or 1/8 teaspoon instead.

Hehe, Parisian Bordello, indeed. I could see the description now: "a popular though ultimately undrinkable cocktail, the Parisian Bordello will infuse your lungs with the scent of a dozen Can-can dancers."

So I made it again tonight for our cocktail party, and two drops is perfect for one Aviation. When I was mixing three at once, I used 1/4 teaspoon (for a recipe that tripled all the other ingredients), and that was right at the limit of what I would say is acceptable. You could definitely smell it and taste it, but it didn't stick in your throat like the aftermath of a clove cigarette.

I have to say, for anyone interested in buying this brand of Creme de Violette, go in with a friend or two and divide up the bottle, because IMO the bottle size is much too big for home use. One bottle is far more than I can imagine using in my lifetime, and I really like this drink.

Edited by plk (log)

PLK, which brand of Maraschino are you using? Perhaps the "funk" of Luxardo keeps the violette from overpowering. I haven't had a chance to try mixing with Maraska yet, so I can't really compare.

My usual preparation is:

2 oz Gin

3/4 oz lemon juice

2 tsp Maraschino (Luxardo)

1 scant tsp Creme de Violette

While the Creme de Violette is definitely present, it's not overwhelming. Perhaps the extra lemon juice cuts through?

Hehe, Parisian Bordello, indeed. I could see the description now: "a popular though ultimately undrinkable cocktail, the Parisian Bordello will infuse your lungs with the scent of a dozen Can-can dancers."

So I made it again tonight for our cocktail party, and two drops is perfect for one Aviation. When I was mixing three at once, I used 1/4 teaspoon (for a recipe that tripled all the other ingredients), and that was right at the limit of what I would say is acceptable. You could definitely smell it and taste it, but it didn't stick in your throat like the aftermath of a clove cigarette.

I have to say, for anyone interested in buying this brand of Creme de Violette, go in with a friend or two and divide up the bottle, because IMO the bottle size is much too big for home use. One bottle is far more than I can imagine using in my lifetime, and I really like this drink.

Luxardo funk/intensity can be a factor, but could also be the gin selection, and I'd suspect the latter.

I've used more CdV in my proportions (somewhere upthread) as I typically prepare the Aviation with either Aviation Gin (making a botanical garden drink), Reisetbauer Blue (though now out), Bluecoat or often Beefeater. To my palate these have stonger botanical notes that (if I get it right) harmonize with the CdV floral. With Plymouth, which I otherwise adore, the CdV and Maraschino stand out too much, and Bombay/Sapphire ruins it as it does too many a drink.

That said, much of my last CdV bottle went into Arsenic & Old Lace/Attention/Atty variations as we're testing some of the new absinthes and revisiting the pastis. Suppose that deserves its own thread...

Well, there's your trouble right there. Maraska doesn't have the same funky intensity as Luxardo. More to the point, Rangpur is a an unusual citrus-forward/juniper-in-the-back gin that I wouldn't think works well for an all-around mixing gin as regular Tanqueray does.

--

• 2 months later...

I had to go and find this thread since I finally found a source for Cr de Violette. I could not remember if there was a receipt given for the Aviation w/ CdV and luckily (!) my question was answered.

For the good news (at least here in Georgia): Quality Distributors now carries R&W products including their Creme de Violette. Quality also handles Marie Brizzard products and they have assured me that they are going to be more aggressive w/ the MB than the last distributor. Savannah Distributors now has Luxardo products and that should make Maraschino liqueur--as well as the other items they carry--much more available.

in loving memory of Mr. Squirt (1998-2004)--

the best cat ever.