• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Aviation

slkinsey

A gin-heavy Aviation with St. George dry rye gin, Luxardo maraschino, R&W violet liqueur. I think it might be the best Aviation I've ever had. The violet was just an accent and the different elements highlighted the malty character of the gin beautifully.

14671085574_8bf54a5e4a_z.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I have tried it too. Cardamom and lavender notes. Although it's very nice, I did not feel compelled to buy a bottle. Instead, I got the coffee liqueur and the aquavit made by the same company, House Spirits.

There is some discussion of this gin in the thread about New Generation Gins.

'salright.

The bottle is cool, too.

The new bottle is certainly a step up from the original plain wine bottle style they used to use. I like the gin as a light refreshing summer option that isn't overly juniper dominated.

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...

~tanstaafl2

Many thanks for your comments in respect Aviation gin. Will keep reading these forums until my half bottle of Violette arrives, will select gin then since it is easier to source, hope it doesn't take too long because I'm really looking forward to my first Aviation...

I'll echo the other two. Aviation gin was nice, but I don't think it's an essential stock. I certainly won't be stocking it.

Massive improvement in the bottle design, too.

• Like 1

The Dead Parrot; Built from the ground up by bartenders, for everyone:

Monkey Shoulder Ultimate Bartender Champions, 2015

Twitter

Instagram

Untappd

The Luxardo Maraschino and the Liqueur à la Violette have arrived. I tried to order Luxardo cherries but it seems these are out of stock everywhere (or ridiculously expensive) just now. Having read the topic on making Maraschino cherries we'll have a go at that for the longer term. Too impatient for a first attempt at this cocktail we will enjoy it with a factory red cherry.

I have a question in respect of cherry making but I will post it on the Making Maraschino topic in attempt to respect the various threads.

I recommend you forgo the cherry rather than use neon. Except maybe for Tiki garnishes, which are intentionally tacky.

I would concur. I don't typically garnish an Aviation anyway and I don't remember that it is routinely called for.

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...

~tanstaafl2

The Luxardo Maraschino and the Liqueur à la Violette have arrived. I tried to order Luxardo cherries but it seems these are out of stock everywhere (or ridiculously expensive) just now. Having read the topic on making Maraschino cherries we'll have a go at that for the longer term. Too impatient for a first attempt at this cocktail we will enjoy it with a factory red cherry.

There may also be a happy medium between the syrupy dyed abominations, and the hassle/expense of imported or homemade cherries. My local grocer carries these cherries with no artificial additives. I think they're great. Good in an Aviation (though I agree, not necessarily essential), outtasite in a Left Hand

I wouldn't try to talk you out of making your own if you're up for it, but wanted to let you know of another possible option.

Edited by Craig E (log)

• 10 months later...

It had been a while, so I made an aviation:

2 oz Malacca

1 oz lemon juice

2 teaspoons maraschino

1 teaspoon liqueur de violettes (Tempus Fugit)

To the best of my memory I'd never tried Malacca in an aviation previously.  Not bad, and it makes for a pretty color.  I have the feeling though, if sampled side by side, I might go with Magellan over Malacca.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

• 3 months later...

An Aviation with rye aka a Kentucky Flyer (Sierra Zimei via Gaz Regan) with Wild Turkey rye whiskey 101, lemon juice, maraschino liqueur, mint. I reduced the maraschino from 3/4 oz to 1/2 since it tends to take over. The Wild Turkey 101 rye was a good choice for this cocktail. This is fairly straightforward but tasty.

It is very similar to a cocktail by Sam Ross called the Adderley.

22071738634_537a7da4e7_z.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

It's a good while now since I started making Aviation cocktails with the help of so many of you on this forum. Scanning through subsequent messages today made me think of writing this update.

Aviation was I think the second cocktail produced in our house, hence my nervous questions in 2014.  We are still beginners compared with many here but I am now happy making this drink. The half bottle of violette purchased in 2014 is almost gone, at just 5ml per drink and only one other recipe tried with it (violet fizz, won't be making it again) this illustrates our appreciation of the Aviation.

in the end we did make our own cherries to garnish these and other cocktails. I found a Jacques Pepin recipe somewhere, I have it noted if anyone is interested as I've long since lost the URL.

So, many thanks to those of you who helped and encouraged me to make this drink and, really, towards confidence to try new (to me) cocktail recipes. Not many cocktail bars in the wilds of Yorkshire where we are based so it is difficult to know what drinks should be like.  You have given me courage to experiment. 

• Like 1