• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What weird things

NeroW

I ate paste (mmmm . . . paste), whole sticks of butter (or as much as I could before someone yanked it away from me), wads of paper (many of my books were missing their page corners), and used tea bags (see the butter qualifier).

I think I would *still* eat paste.

Now that a lot of my friends are having babies :shock: , I notice that their kids eat whole lemons, raw onions, and things like that.

So what did YOU eat when your palate was young?

Noise is music. All else is food.

Mudpies...with Ivory dish liquid "Whipped cream". I was my mother's despair. Also any berry, fruit, etc. I got my hands on, which precluded a massive campaign against nightshade at my gram's. But then I used to crawl on the hay stacks and sleep by a milksnake who had her nest there. My mom nearly had a heart attack.

I was never one of those that ate paste or, worse yet, whatever I might find while digging in my nose! :wacko: <YUCK!> I guess even at an early age I had a more disriminating palate! I did, however, enjoy eating raw rhubarb and fresh picked crabapples and wild berries while growing up in PA. Upset stomachs were frequent after over indulging on the rhubarb! I ate alot of strange and foreign items as a kid on Okinawa, but still nothing really too disgusting. Boring childhood? I don't think so, just more aware of what I put in my mouth! :biggrin:

Bob R in OKC

Home Brewer, Beer & Food Lover!

Dirt, but only because I was curious to see if red dirt tasted different from brown dirt (it does very much, btw...red clay has a ton of iron).

Blue crayons. Only blue.

I was a paper/paper towel eater, too.

I also had an extreme fondness for hard boiled eggs. Remember Edith Massey's character in Pink Flamingos? Yeah. I was the Egg Lady.

One the eating whole onions theme:

I have a Great-Aunt who has a rather twisted sense of humor. She's evil, but in a way that isn't so evil that you think she's a bad person...just a little twisted. She used to do things like shock my mom's toes with mild electrical currents, that sort of thing. Oh. and did I mention that she looks just like the Wicked Witch of the West? Anyway, when she was in her 20s, she babysat this kid who was about 3 or so at the time. Who allowed this woman around kids I do not know. When he would act up, she would stick him in a laundry basket. He was terrified of the laundry basket. Apparantly, all this kid could or would say was "apple apple bite-bite." Kid loved apples. It drove my aunt crazy, so one day she handed him a red onion and told him it was an apple.

He never asked her for an apple again.

I know he still lives in my hometown. I should find out his name and give him a call, see if Wanda scarred him for good.

Gourmet Anarchy

One the eating whole onions theme:

I have a Great-Aunt who has a rather twisted sense of humor. She's evil, but in a way that isn't so evil that you think she's a bad person...just a little twisted. She used to do things like shock my mom's toes with mild electrical currents, that sort of thing. Oh. and did I mention that she looks just like the Wicked Witch of the West? Anyway, when she was in her 20s, she babysat this kid who was about 3 or so at the time. Who allowed this woman around kids I do not know. When he would act up, she would stick him in a laundry basket. He was terrified of the laundry basket. Apparantly, all this kid could or would say was "apple apple bite-bite." Kid loved apples. It drove my aunt crazy, so one day she handed him a red onion and told him it was an apple.

He never asked her for an apple again.

I know he still lives in my hometown. I should find out his name and give him a call, see if Wanda scarred him for good.

OMIGAWD. that is on scary relative

To topic at hand, didn't eat anything wierd that I can think of, did however feed strange things to others to see if they would eat them, mud pies, kibble, odd combinations of things, remember once filling my brother's bottle with a mixture of oj, milk & smushed up cherries and giving the nieghbor's kid a milk bone telling him it was a cookie.

I was more a shove stuff up my nose or ears kind of kid, got a pussy willow bud stuck in my nose, a pebble in my ear. I blame that on the safety film we saw in health class (I guess) that told you never to shove things up your nose or in your ear and immediately I shoved something smaller than my elbow in my ear.

"sometimes I comb my hair with a fork" Eloise

I NEVER ate anything weird..expcept pounds of licore. :raz:

But... my son used to eat uncooked, dried pasta. I would have to hide it from him, he didn't want me to cook it. And one of the cats will eat it too.

My husband and his sister made up a chemistry set concotion and had the little brother snort it. It's really funny when the vicitim tells the story...his strongest recollection of the event is being held under the faucet by his mother and of being more worried about drowning!

Oh, yeah, I forgot about my mouth washed out with soap...nope, not for cussing, for sucking an indelible blue pencil...and I used to go to the granary that the different feeds were stored in and fill my pockets with water softener salt and Purina Dog chow, then go out in the 'house pasture' and alternately feed it to my favorite bovine, an enormous white and blue roan bull (named Gabriel for his horns), and eat it myself. I also broke hunks off the mineral block saltlick and indulged. Gads, kids are bulletproof!!!

Upset stomachs were frequent after over indulging on the rhubarb!

I heard you can get a pretty good buzz off that shit.

Noise is music. All else is food.

I ate -- and still do -- peanut butter and pickle relish sandwiches. And you know what? I used to trade them for the best stuff out of other kids' lunches. It's a really good combination.

I also liked peanut butter and pineapple sandwiches. But not NEARLY as much as relish.

Aidan

"Ess! Ess! It's a mitzvah!"

dirt, crayons, chalk, powdered non-dairy creamer by the spoonful

yep, I was big on the Coffee Mate thing. I could eat a whole jar in a sitting. That and packets of powdered Dream Whip. and instant iced tea mix. and (this is embarrassing) i LOVED the plain white Kaopectate. i tried a dog biscuit once and found it quite tasty.

apparently i also ate an ant once as a child because according to my mother i wanted it to tickle my back, but i have no memory of this.

I ate -- and still do -- peanut butter and pickle relish sandwiches. And you know what? I used to trade them for the best stuff out of other kids' lunches. It's a really good combination.

I also liked peanut butter and pineapple sandwiches. But not NEARLY as much as relish.

Somebody help me, because that sounds good on one of my weird cravings nights!! I bet kiwi and peanut butter would go good too, and starfruit!! Stop me!!

Frog's Legs

i thought they were chicken

Do not expect INTJs to actually care about how you view them. They already know that they are arrogant bastards with a morbid sense of humor. Telling them the obvious accomplishes nothing.

I think I would *still* eat paste.

Are you talking about the giant globs of white paste that the teacher would serve on squares of paper? Mmmm. Some years we had minty flavors! My kids' generation has to buy Elmers or glue sticks, so they've completely missed this treat.

I had a thing for sour flavors--ate a lot of whole lemons, raw rhubarb with salt, and practically grazed on wild oxalis.

I'm over paste, but still go for the sour stuff.

"Hey, don't borgnine the sandwich." -- H. Simpson

I didn't really eat paste or mud that I can remember....

But one that confused my parents was that one of the first solid foods I would ever eat was collard greens, and I loved then thoroughly throughout my childhood. If dinner included collard greens, they would always end up taking at least 80% of my plate.

I would also sometimes wake up in the middle of the night and decimate every jar of pickles we had.

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

Beef Oxo cubes, raw. My son likes cheese, bread and butter pickles and mustard sandwiches. :blink:

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

I NEVER ate anything weird..expcept pounds of licore. :raz:

But... my son used to eat uncooked, dried pasta. I would have to hide it from him, he didn't want me to cook it. And one of the cats will eat it too.

My husband and his sister made up a chemistry set concotion and had the little brother snort it. It's really funny when the vicitim tells the story...his strongest recollection of the event is being held under the faucet by his mother and of being more worried about drowning!

I still eat uncooked pasta. As a child though, I was more a boogers and paste kinda guy :blink: Yuck.

My oldest daughter talked my youngest daughter into supergluing her lips together...

speechless-smiley-040.gif

Now....hmmmm...wait a sec.....actually...that's not such a rotten idea. Could you send her over here, because I am TRYING to lose some weight.