• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Comments on the Parisian restaurant digests

andrew_j_craig

• 1 month later...

We were very pleased with Louis Vins, but the posted info is wrong about Sunday closure, as we were there on Sunday afternoon , April the 3rd.

We had lunch today at DB, Bouchet's new restaurant in the 17th. My comments are: the decor is pleasant, one wall exposed stone, one wall painted; fresh flowers, comfortable seating. We felt that all of the produce, meats, breads, etc. were of top quality. Our appetizers were outstanding; some of the 1st white asparagus of the season, costly(€20), but good; the fondant de Beaufort was exceptional...melting cheese and artichoke hearts contained in a dam of Savoy ham. The filet de boeuf was tender and flavorful, unfortunately we ordered it saignant and it was served with a barely pink center, any drier and I would have sent it back which I am loathe to do. The Gigot D'Agneau de 7 heures was fork tender but unfortunately the wine reduction was, to our taste, overpowering; however a little of the same sauce served over the coffee cup of mashed potatoes did little to distract from their buttery excellence. I thought that the wine list was excellent, with a variety of good selections at affordable prices...we had a good St. Estephe, Chat. Les Hauts de Pez for €34. Our 2 person total inclding 2 champagne aperitifs, 1/2 bottle of Chateldon mineral water, 2 entrées, 2 mains 1 cheese, 1 dessert, 2 coffees and the St. Estephe was €171.50

• 2 weeks later...
We were very pleased with Louis Vins, but the posted info is wrong about Sunday closure, as we were there on Sunday afternoon , April the 3rd.

Laidback, thank you for the correction, which I've made in the Digest as well. You are correct, Louis Vins is open 7/7 according to its friendly mustache/bearded host.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

• 4 weeks later...

My notes from May 16th, 2001. "Chez Ramalaud,..., better left forgotten despite it’s just getting 3 hearts in Figaroscope and a “ rush to it” recommendation from Gault/Millau. The products were OK but the preparation was not. Bill 202 francs for one.

John Talbott

My notes from May 16th, 2001.  "Chez Ramalaud,..., better left forgotten despite it’s just getting 3 hearts in Figaroscope and a “ rush to it” recommendation from Gault/Millau.  The products were OK but the preparation was not.  Bill 202 francs for one.

hmmmm, i've eaten there a handful of times in the last two years and always enjoyed it hugely, though more at lunch when the prices are a bargain than at dinner. i've always come away with a dish or two that became an inspiration or part of my repertoire: simple stuff like lamb with aubergine, or tarte au moutarde, and an iced beetroot soup with hazelnut creme. and very friendly waiters. its the place i take family or friends, or young people, who have never eaten in paris or in france, because its always been so pleasant and quite honest. nice clear flavours if no culinary handstands.

meanwhile i'm looking for ideas for my famous friend from a famous newspaper who's visiting paris, and her recommendations from an equally famous writer were chez denise, chez michel, and cafe moderne. also l'os de moelle. i think that chez michel is not as good as it used to be so thats off my list. and i haven't been to the other two......chez denise is a scene.

so i said okay, chez denise, but they want to go at 7 pm to avoid the crowd as they are unsure of themselves in a big crush in french, the communal tables and all...... what do we think?

any other suggestions? which cheese shop would you' all recomend, which bakery for crouissants (i have the recommendateion from LKCHU for the oragnic maison kayser on rue monge and will take them there.......maybe marriage freres......

merci beaucoup in advance,

marlena

Marlena the spieler

www.marlenaspieler.com

i'm looking for ideas for  my famous  friend from a famous newspaper who's visiting paris, and her recommendations from an equally famous writer were chez denise, chez michel, and cafe moderne. also l'os de moelle.  i think that chez michel is not as good as it used to be so thats off my list. and i haven't been to the other two......chez denise is a scene.

so i said okay, chez denise, but they want to go at 7 pm to avoid the crowd as they are unsure of themselves in a big crush in french, the communal tables and all......  what do we think?

any other suggestions? which cheese shop would you' all recomend, which bakery for crouissants (i have the recommendateion from LKCHU for the oragnic maison kayser on rue monge and will take them there.......maybe marriage freres......

merci beaucoup in advance,

marlena

Eh bien si vous aimez la foule go by all means to the ones you have mentionned ,

however if you really want to impress your famous friend , many other bistrots are much better.you need to make some research.They have been discussed on this site.Bonne chasse et appetit

Marlena,

I agree with Pierre, do some more research. What kind of a bistro are you looking for? If low price and good food are your main requirements, there are so many...Good Ambiance also? Well that severely limits it. And you are going at 7PM? Most restaurants do not open until 7:30 and I would never recommend that. Your dinner will most likely be rushed and the atmosphere is completely different, as yes there will only be other tourists at the tables.

Maybe this should be it's own thread?

Good luck!

Paris is a mood...a longing you didn't know you had, until it was answered.

-An American in Paris

• 3 weeks later...
John, in  the year-end digest you mention "La Table de Lucullus ’s fate post-Nicolas Vagnon’s departure from the 17th."  What's that about?  Do you know why he's leaving and where he's going?

Very latest word from pals who live on the Ile de Yeu is that it's not clear when he'll open (as we've learned from Peter Mayle, renovation is a chancy thing here).

More info in July.

John Talbott

The Week of May 30th, 2005

Wednesday, Sebastien Demorand in Zurban devoted his primary review to Yves Camdeborde’s new place - the Comptoir du Relais, 5, carrefour de l’Odéon in the 6th, 01.44.27.07.97, closed Friday nites, Saturday and Sunday; lunch is about 30-35 E; set dinner of 5 courses is 40 E.  Demorand toys with the readers a bit about sites on the “net” {could that be us?} wondering when he’d open.  Anyway, he then describes his meal (they change nightly) of gazpacho, pork cheeks with foie gras, lamb’s knuckle and a “pot” of chocolate {my review is here}. 

John - Demorand/Zurban is wrong - Le Comptoir is open for dinner Friday nights too - closed weekends only. I had that pot de chocolat too - the next night. :wub:

• 4 weeks later...

Wow, the Express is really on top of things! The Bistro Romain! Quel secret!

Anti-alcoholics are unfortunates in the grip of water, that terrible poison, so corrosive that out of all substances it has been chosen for washing and scouring, and a drop of water added to a clear liquid like Absinthe, muddles it." ALFRED JARRY

blog

John, can you help us out with the coordinates of  l’Estrapade?  I haven't the book and am  having no luck Googling it.  Many thanks.  And, as always, thanks for your much anticipated  weekly updates.

You bet; 15, rue de l'Estrapade in the 5th; 01.43.25.72.58. Ate there yesterday. OK. And thank you, but after July 1, the Digest will be smallified.

John Talbott

• 5 months later...

Actually Del Burgo has signed , it just hasn't been made public yet. He'll b at Jamin next year, behind the stoves..

Anti-alcoholics are unfortunates in the grip of water, that terrible poison, so corrosive that out of all substances it has been chosen for washing and scouring, and a drop of water added to a clear liquid like Absinthe, muddles it." ALFRED JARRY

blog

• 1 month later...

Just wanted, belatedly, to add my thanks for this amazing thread. It's such an incredible resource and must be a really mammoth task to compile. I've just been scanning through the last few months and it's fascinating to observe all the trends and current debates as they emerge from your posts.

Don't believe what I said in December. Jamin will now be a Antillais style restaurant, and Del Burgo lied to everyone (!) In fact Jamin almost sued him over all the rumours and falsehoods spread!!

blog

• 4 weeks later...
John you mentioned an article by you this past week in Bonjour Paris about restos under €30, but the last one I find by you is about the ubiquitous pumpkin soup.

It's free and under restaurants not on the home page - not sure why.

Edited to add url

Edited by John Talbott (log)

John Talbott

Maybe I haven't been reading as carefully as I should, but in the BP article you linked to, you mention Miss Betsey. This is the first I recall hearing of it and your comment about your negative response to it intrigues me. What and where is this resto? Have you reviewed it? Has anyone else?

What goes here?  Are these guys in cahoots; do they all eat together; are they looking over each others shoulders; or, as is most likely, is there really only one restaurant critic in Paris and he or she uses different names for different pubs?  Whatever the answer, I was thinking of doing an article on restos under 30 E anyway so they’ve lightened my load and I’ll lighten it further by boiling down the lists to a few “must eat ats.”
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

One big brain. One big town. One small list . What a great article! Go there! :biggrin:

Maybe I haven't been reading as carefully as I should, but in the BP article you linked to, you mention Miss Betsey.  This is the first I recall hearing of it and your comment about your negative response to it intrigues me.  What and where is this resto?  Have you reviewed it?  Has anyone else?

I have here:

2.5 (N*) – Miss Betsey, 23, rue, Guillaume-Tell in the 17th, 01.52.67.12.67, closed weekends (actually, as of Jan 1, it’ll be open Saturday nights), menus at 25, 29 and 33 E.  Despite the name, the clientele (totally speaking English until 9 P.M.) and the blond hair of the female chef - this is definitely a child of cuisine minceur, vapeur, fusion/world food and Alice Waters a la francaise - not Anglo-Saxon.  I can understand why the Zurban/Fooding folks celebrate it; it’s got edgy, light, deconstructed food with atypical spices/pairings.  But I left wanting a slice of fatty pizza or merguez with frites, not more calories-lite.  It’s in a happening part of town, the 17th near Meating + Mon Marche, it’s nice, has the most attractive service people of December and is reasonably priced.  The amuse-gueule tips you off to the theme though; big slices of cooked carrots flavored with cumin.  I had a “crème brulee” of mushrooms and indeed it was a crème brulee on top of a duxelles base, OK but the sweetness of the top did not work.  Second, I had shredded rabbit wrapped in braised endives, again, OK, but so what?  I was clearly the only person who didn’t think this stuff was great.  I have great respect for what the Generation “C” guys and “le Fooding” are trying to do; I’m just not sure I want to go there.  Bill = 39.20 E.  For those members who disagree with my reviews 100%, I suspect you should go here, you’ll love it.

John Talbott

John you mentioned an article by you this past week in Bonjour Paris about restos under €30, but the last one I find by you is about the ubiquitous pumpkin soup.

It's free and under restaurants not on the home page - not sure why.

Edited to add url

John,

apparently Karen reads this forum...today your article is on the home page where it rightfully should be. Allow me to say that your style agrees with me...none of the frothy exuberance of the other critic who to my knowledge has never written anything but glowing reviews...just honest, homey, personal opinions which indicate you don't pander for "freebies".

• 3 weeks later...

By an interesting coincidence I am in Sancerre for 2 weeks trying to appease M. Chirac by learning a little French at "Coeur de France" and noticed the article you posted today on some fine restaurants in this area.

As you can see from the attached photos, the author speaks knowledgeably about La Tour. In our experience it is the tops in Sancerre proper, followed by Auberge de Pomme d'Or which is right across the street from the school. It is more casual than La Tour, with a more limited choice, but I had a terrific escargots in crème d'ail douce, and an excellent rognon de veau. Just at the foot of the hill which Sancerre occupies sits the little village of Chavignol which may have 150 inhabitants if you throw in a few goats, but more importantly, it has the fine little gourmet restaurant called Coté Mont Damné where we enjoyed an excellent meal(think Thierry Burlot at Polidor prices), langoustines, souris d'agneau and a fine souflée griotte. We plan to work our way out to the other 2 places mentioned and will probably report back.

Sorry for not linking the link, but I left my instructions at home.

share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=8AauWLhm2ZNGJd

Edited by Laidback (log)

• 2 months later...