• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Comments on the Parisian restaurant digests

andrew_j_craig

• 1 month later...

John,

I noticed your rave review of Chez Lena et Mimile, but lin a later post you mentioned inconsistancies there.

So, what do you think worth a visit over Itineraires? Or back to my old standby La Regalade.

And was it the molecular menu you were raving about? and if so, do you remember the price?

Edited by hughw (log)

John,

I noticed your rave review of Chez Lena et Mimile, but lin a later post  you mentioned inconsistancies there.

....And was it the molecular menu you were raving about? and if so, do you remember the price?

Note that the molecular menu is only offered from October to February and not on Mondays and Tuesdays. We were not informed of this when we visited and subsequently ate off the pretty ordinary ordinary menu. :hmmm:

eGullet member #80.

John,

I noticed your rave review of Chez Lena et Mimile, but lin a later post  you mentioned inconsistancies there.

So, what do you think worth a visit over Itineraires? Or back to my old standby La Regalade.

And was it the molecular menu you were raving about? and if so, do you remember the price?

I had dinner at L'tineraire in oct .ITs very busy and impersonable.The food is not bad but one has much better choices in Paris.For instance last night I went to au gout du jour,(12,rue Beaugrenelle)Paris 15e .it was truly delightful and a gem at 25 euros full dinner.THe chef and his assistant(Cyril le noir) have worked at P. Gagnaire and meurice.This is a new restaurant and not discovered yet.

• 3 weeks later...
John,

Your French is infinitely better than mine, but I read F. Simon's article on Le Villaret and it appears that the €6500 Haut Brion you mention was ascribed to a 3 etoile restaurant.

Very sloppy reporting on my part; of course he was comparing Le Villaret's list to that of stratospheric other places. I'll correct.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

• 1 month later...

We are slow-poking through Burgundy this month and had lunch today at Le Comptoir des Tontons. If this was F-R Gaudry's restaurant of the week the poor guy needs help in restaurant selection. This is not to say that it was bad in anyway, or that the products were not "bio", but it probably was about 4th or 5th "best" on our places this week.

• 2 months later...

Thanks for all the great info. I'm currently trawling through these threads looking for decent places in the 14th for a friend of mine, and I wanted to check one thing: the 'heart' rating mentioned here goes from one to five, with 5 being the best? Just wanted to check, as I live in Germany and it's the other way around, whereas most places of course higher is better.

Thanks for all the great info. I'm currently trawling through these threads looking for decent places in the 14th for a friend of mine, and I wanted to check one thing: the 'heart' rating mentioned here goes from one to five, with 5 being the best? Just wanted to check, as I live in Germany and it's the other way around, whereas most places of course higher is better.

Roughly speaking, the ratings emulate Michelin's 1-3 stars, however:

A Nous Paris awards 1-5 dots, one being lowest - five highest, and

Figaroscope awards 1-4 hearts; 1=Hold on, 2=To your forks, 3=Reserve right now and 4=Run; there's a busted/broken heart labelled Ouf, a kilo gained (ie for nothing).

Regarding the 14th; I'll pop that topic up for comments.

John Talbott

Roughly speaking, the ratings emulate Michelin's 1-3 stars, however:

A Nous Paris awards 1-5 dots, one being lowest - five highest, and

Figaroscope awards 1-4 hearts; 1=Hold on, 2=To your forks, 3=Reserve right now and 4=Run; there's a busted/broken heart labelled Ouf, a kilo gained (ie for nothing).

Regarding the 14th; I'll pop that topic up for comments.

Thanks John, that helps. So one heart isn't actually a bad review, simply that the restaurant is nothing special?

Thanks John, that helps. So one heart isn't actually a bad review, simply that the restaurant is nothing special?

Well, the few I've eaten in, I wouldn't return to. Even the 2 hearters are a mixed lot, sometimes good and sometimes not.

Often if one goes to the review, Rubin will say, this was over-cooked, or that was dry or mushy or whatever.

John Talbott

• 2 weeks later...

...and Philippe Toinard reviews l’Acajou, coordinates in the guidebooks, which has had the same chef (Jean Imbert) since 2004 but has a new table d’hote, common table and terrace but serves awful sounding dishes, except for the millefeuille for 19 (lunch), 31-59 € and is closed Saturday lunch and Sunday night.

We were taken to l'Acajou shortly after it opened and was favorably reviewed in Figaroscope by some Parisian friends and were favorably impressed; pleasant decor with mahoghany paneling, comfortable seating and quasi-gourmet offerings at bargain basement prices. Repeat visits confirmed that this was no flash in the pan. However this past Oct. we were shocked to enter and discover a brand new total renovation to a Manhattan-mod styled makeover. Instead of the comfortable seating arrangements there is now only a long, high, uncomfortable common table running the length of the room which destroys any privacy/intimacy. I was told that the chef is the same, but the place has been ruined for us...We don't go to France to eat in diners.