• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Graham Cracker recipes

Bicycle Lee

Graham Crackers

(From an old Mennonite cookbook)

Ingredients

1 c Shortening

2 c Brown sugar

1 c Granulated sugar

2 c White flour

4 c Graham flour

1 t Soda

2 ts Baking powder

1/2 ts Salt

1 c Sweet or sour milk

1 t Vanilla

Servings: 6 dozen

DIRECTIONS: Cream shortening and sugar together until fluffy. Add vanilla.

Sift flour. Measure, and add salt, soda and baking powder to flour.

Sift again.

Add sifted dry ingredients alternately with milk to shortening mixture.

Mix thoroughly after each addition.

Chill dough in refrigerator overnight.

In the morning, turn out on floured board and roll as thin as possible.

Dock with a fork all over.

Cut in squares or any shape desired.

Place 1" apart on a greased cookie sheet.

Bake at 350-F until crisp and a golden brown.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Cinnamon Graham Crackers

Recipe By : Better Homes and Garden Heritage Cookbook, 1975

Ingredients

2 cups whole wheat flour

1 cup all-purpose flour

1 teaspoon baking powder

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

3/4 cup packed brown sugar

1/2 cup shortening

1/3 cup honey

1 teaspoon vanilla

1/2 cup milk

3 tablespoons granulated sugar

1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Stir together whole wheat flour, all purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.

Cream together brown sugar and shortening till light.

Beat in honey and vanilla till fluffy.

Add flour mixture alternately with milk to creamed mix ture, beating well after each addition.

Chill dough several hours or overnight.

Divide chilled mixture into quarters.

On welll-floured surface roll each quarter to 15x5-inch rectangle.

Cut rectangle crosswise into 6 small rectangles meas uring 5 x 2 1/2 inches .

Place on ungreased baking sheet.

Mark a line crosswise across center of each small rectangle with tines of fork; score a pattern of holes on squares with fork tines.

Combine granulated sugar and cinnamon;

Sprinkl e over crackers.

Bake at 350 for 13-15 minutes.

Remove from sheet at once.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

This recipe is from Gale Gand"s show on foodtv.com: Graham Crackers

This next recipe is from my extensive collection of recipes from magazines, newspapers and, now, the web. It is from The Pleasures of Cooking, a cooking newsletter from Cuisinart from the 1980's. I didn't get it, but saved the recipe from a brochure. The recipe is by Pamela Murtaugh and it says that "our tasters judged them far better than any store bought or homemade ones they had tasted." The link is to a site that has the exact recipe, but uncredited. Well, it saved me the typing.

Honey Graham Crackers

BTW, there are also molasses-rye and chocolate variations in my clipping.

I have not made them. I'm sure they are a special treat homemade. Here we get them at the store, but I know they don't have them where you live. Good luck!

Edited to add: Both these recipes use butter-not shortening.

Edited by achevres (log)

Looking through some of these recipes, which call for "graham flour," made me a little curious. I mean, okay, wheat flour is from wheat, rye flour from rye ... and graham flour? Huh? So I never knew there was a Mr. Graham, so shoot me! :raz:

Anyway, this site had some interesting basic information (and some recipes):

http://homecooking.about.com/cs/specificfood/a/graham.htm

Regarding "Graham" flour.

It is indeed actually whole wheat flour but is more coarsly ground than regular whole wheat flour.

I am a big fan of Bob's Red Mill products which are widely available and most health food stores carry a great many of this company's products.

There is a good turnover so the products are usually quite fresh.

It has to be kept in the freezer because like most whole grain products it will become rancid if left at room temp.

If you don't know of a store that carries these products you can go to this site and do a store finder search.

http://www.bobsredmill.com/storefinder.php

There is also a recipe for graham crackers on the site. I have not tried it but have tried other recipes from the company and have not been disappointed.

• 1 year later...

jacques torres has a graham cracker recipe in one of his dessert circus books - i've made them before, and seem to recall that they turned out nicely. there's also a recipe from the wooden spoon cookie book (see below) for cinnamon crisp cookies that i think tastes VERY graham cracker-like. in fact, i was thinking of making them myself this year - substituting whole wheat flour for some of the all purpose to accentuate the grahamness of them :smile:

Cinnamon Crisps

Recipe By: wooden spoon cookie book

21 ounces sugar

2 tablespoons cinnamon

1 pound butter

vanilla

1 teaspoon salt

2 each eggs

2 each egg yolks

25 ounces all-purpose flour

2 teaspoons baking powder

cold water

2 each egg whites

combine sugar and cinnamon, reserving 1/2 cup for finishing cookies. cream butter with remaining cinnamon sugar, vanilla and salt. add eggs and yolks, scraping bowl as needed. add dry ingredients and mix just to combine. chill dough.

roll dough out very thinly - about 1/4" thick, or a little less. mix a little cold water with egg whites, and brush on top of cookies. sprinkle with reserved cinnamon sugar. bake at 350 until browned and crisp.

this is the recipe i use....i love them. i usually bake them at 350 degrees for about 7 mins., then take them out of the oven and score them, then bake another 5 mins or so, until lightly golden brown.

graham crackers

24oz crisco

2# dark brown sugar

1# AP flour

2# whole wheat flour

6T baking powder

1T salt

2 1/2C buttermilk

• 1 year later...

Hello. I found a recipe online for graham crackers, since they are not sold here...

After two times I got something quite nice,but hadto leave them in the oven for much longer than what was required (an extra 23mins), otherwise they come out spongy not crispy. If anyone has a really good recipe I would love to try it!

Thanks! A great weekend to all.

Lior

you could also try the one on the anson mills website. they sell fantastic graham flour too...

"Godspeed all the bakers at dawn... may they all cut their thumbs and bleed into their buns til they melt away..."

Thanks!! I will try SB's recipe tomorrow. What is AP flour? And what spices are in Penzeys? About the book, can't getit here. Is it worthwhile ordering from Amazon? I amnow going tocheckout that site-thanks! I alsoloved the info about Mr. Graham!

Thanks so much everyone!  :rolleyes:

"AP" just stands for regular All Purpose flour.

Penzeys Baking Spice is a blend. I don't care for a real sharp cinnamon flavor, and this spice combination, while it does contain cinnamon, seems to mellow it out.

SB :smile: