• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Austin: what do ya'll think of Castle Hill?

kozysnack

what about vespaio? they have a private (sort of) room.....

xo

Edited by ElfWorks (log)

"Animal crackers and cocoa to drink

That is the finest of suppers, I think

When I'm grown up and can have what I please,

I think I shall always insist upon these"

*Christopher Morley

Well Hello Kozysnack,

I'd definitely pick Castle Hill for an informal meeting. If you need even more quiet, you might ask if you could use their upstairs room. They have a very nice party room and if no one is using it, they might let you set up shop. But even if you don't use the party room, it's still a good place. I don't find Castle Hill very noisy at all, but then I've never been there on a weekend so maybe it's worse then.

Another place you might consider is Clay Pit. They have that cool dungeon room where we all met for one of our first egullet get-togethers. If you call ahead, I'm sure they'd let you have it.

kozysnack, you were the one who suggested Castle Hill for our next gathering - in July - is that the intent of your question? I'm game for either of the sisters - does Mirabelle still have that early evening reduced-dinner price special from 5.30 to 6.15 Mon-Thurs? Don't know how many of us could make it that early, but I'm all for pinching my zincs

I guess I was having a brain fart - I had thought that the new pennies were now being made of very minimal copper, with loads of zinc sandwiched in between. I may be a hoarder and on the downhill slope, but I don't have any pennies from the Civil War era

Well I have to say I'd like to pinch just about anything to save a buck, so I can try the "New Orleans Style Banana Bread Pudding with Caramelized

Espresso-Bourbon Sauce - $ 5.25 "

just my idea of a great way to end a night with friends

I dont live in Austin any more but I've eaten at castle hill a number of times and always found the food just satisfactory. There are many places with better food but sometimes its fun to eat in a restuarant that has some history. I do remember good wine prices as well as a great wine inventory sale every year. One thing i hate about the place is there menu descriptions, it seems as if they list every ingredient in the dish. In there defense though, this is a often seen sympton of creative new american cuisine; without traditional titles for dishes it comes to a choice of hoping the customer will trust the ingredients you match in a dish, or listing them all out. I believe a customer should always get what they want, but dining would be more adventureous if they but there trust in a chef, and let their palates explore the food.

I remember swamp-dark duck gumbo with a voodoo soul. Still on the menu? CH is always a good pick.

Theabroma

Sharon Peters aka "theabroma"

The lunatics have overtaken the asylum

Do you all think maybe we should time this get-together with the Shorters visit? Heather says they'll be here between the 9th and the 14th. What if we did it on Thursday, June 10 -- provided that date worked with Heather & family.

Or we could keep the events separate. I'm just trying to consolidate a little ;).

Does June 10 work with everyone or is there an overwhelming need to stick with the 16th and 17th? I'm open to all dates, but leaning towards the 10th so that the Shorters can join us if they can get a sitter.

Besides, June 10th is sooner and I miss you all so desperately ;).

june 10 is aok with moi!

xo

"Animal crackers and cocoa to drink

That is the finest of suppers, I think

When I'm grown up and can have what I please,

I think I shall always insist upon these"

*Christopher Morley

This isn't going to work for us. :sad:

That's too bad, but I know how tough it is to get a babysitter while traveling.

As for Castle Hill. Since NYT and Longhorn Gal aren't available on the 10th and Fitz and Luggage aren't sure, why don't we push it back to

June 17

.......which was the original date.

Who's in?