• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

NJ Hot Dogs

Jon Marcus x

There was an article in todays Star Ledgar about the Milburn Mall and Tabachnicks and Sonny Amsters Bakery closing down.  It did mention Syd's as well (not closing).

Sonny Amster's? Oh that's mega bad news. They're one of the last places that produces the Watson Bagel. And their Jewish Rye is to die for.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

There was an article in todays Star Ledgar about the Milburn Mall and Tabachnicks and Sonny Amsters Bakery closing down.  It did mention Syd's as well (not closing).

Sonny Amster's? Oh that's mega bad news. They're one of the last places that produces the Watson Bagel. And their Jewish Rye is to die for.

I think this was already announced on this May 26 post. You also provided a link that Amster will continue to operate Bagels 4U with the same bagel formula. So have no fear...

Personally, I didn't think Amster's bagels were any great shakes, certainly not worth a long ride. The local Goldberg's (Closter) turns out an equally good bagel, IMHO.

May 26 Amster closing discussion on Egullet

Max's in Long Branch is over $4.00 for a plain quarter pound hot dog. Syd's isn't the most expensive, but it's up there. And I don't like having to place an order for a hot dog with a waitress either. But they are the best damn dogs around. I'll try to find a link to the Ledger article. It ran yesterday and mentioned Syd's as being a stop on the annual New Jersey Hot Dog Tour. We are having another one on Sept 16th. Contact me if interested. We will be going to about 10 places. Air conditioned bus is $20.00 plus what you pay for dogs. We share or skip having dogs at some places in order to keep from exploding.

John the hot dog guy

Too bad we don't have a branch of Gray's in NJ; in the city they are 95 cents, and they are a bit smaller, but 2 dogs suffice.

John, are you also doing Charlie's and Galloping Hill? They are both within 5 minutes of Syds. (Or do you need time to digest? :wink: )

On a side note about Best Hot Dogs from Newark. Are they any different from the packages at the supermakets at theses places? I asked because I bought more than one pack at two different supermarkets and I thought Best hotdogs were the worst. I can't quite describe the oily, greasy meat taste they exude. I now buy nothing but Thumans

"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them." ~Winston Churchill

Morels- God's gift to the unworthy human species

On a side note about Best Hot Dogs from Newark.  Are they any different from the packages at the supermakets at theses places?  I asked because I bought more than one pack at two different supermarkets and I thought Best hotdogs were the worst.  I can't quite describe the oily, greasy meat taste they exude.  I now buy nothing but Thumans

Which Best was it? There's Best Kosher of Chicago, and there's Best Provisions of Newark. I've seen both in East Coast supermarkets. In any event, the Best Provisions hotdog in the supermarkets is the same mixture as served by Syd's and others EXCEPT I've only seen the skinless dogs in supermarkets; Syd's and others usually seve the natural casing dog. I'm hard-pressed to fathom the "oil, greasy meat taste" you found; that hasn't been my experience, even with the supermarket skinless version from Best Provisions.

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

On a side note about Best Hot Dogs from Newark.  Are they any different from the packages at the supermakets at theses places?  I asked because I bought more than one pack at two different supermarkets and I thought Best hotdogs were the worst.  I can't quite describe the oily, greasy meat taste they exude.  I now buy nothing but Thumans

Which Best was it? There's Best Kosher of Chicago, and there's Best Provisions of Newark. I've seen both in East Coast supermarkets. In any event, the Best Provisions hotdog in the supermarkets is the same mixture as served by Syd's and others EXCEPT I've only seen the skinless dogs in supermarkets; Syd's and others usually seve the natural casing dog. I'm hard-pressed to fathom the "oil, greasy meat taste" you found; that hasn't been my experience, even with the supermarket skinless version from Best Provisions.

Yup, they are the Newark Best dogs I bought. IMO they are terrible. We all have different taste buds I guess. Thanks. I'll steer clear of Syd's now.

"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them." ~Winston Churchill

Rich, I'd be curious to know how you cooked them...I grew up (in northern NJ) eating Best's on the grill, and can't think of a better dog!

Caveat: I'm not an expert like some on this thread.

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Too bad we don't have a branch of Gray's in NJ; in the city they are 95 cents, and they are a bit smaller, but 2 dogs suffice. 

John, are you also doing Charlie's and Galloping Hill?  They are both within 5 minutes of Syds. (Or do you need time to digest?  :wink: )

We will be meeting in the parking lot at the Galloping Hill Inn. They will be our first stop. We will be skipping Charlies, but going to Tommy's Italian Hot dogs in Elizabeth and Jerry's, which is next to Tommy's. Other stops will include Syd's, J's Beef, Libby's, Rutt's Hut, Amazing Hot Dog, Dickiee Dees, and Tony's Truck. Maybe JJ's.

Rich,

Best's is a top quality beef dog. But there are some that do not like it as taste is subjective. They taste great prepared any way, but are especially good on the grill. Is it possible that you don't like all beef dogs? They have a higher fat content than a predominatly pork hot dog such as Thumanns. And a spicier flavor profile as well. Maybe you got a bad sample.

John the hot dog guy

John, are you also doing Charlie's and Galloping Hill?  They are both within 5 minutes of Syds. (Or do you need time to digest?  :wink: )

We will be meeting in the parking lot at the Galloping Hill Inn. They will be our first stop. We will be skipping Charlies, but going to Tommy's Italian Hot dogs in Elizabeth and Jerry's, which is next to Tommy's. Other stops will include Syd's, J's Beef, Libby's, Rutt's Hut, Amazing Hot Dog, Dickiee Dees, and Tony's Truck. Maybe JJ's.

Rich,

Best's is a top quality beef dog. But there are some that do not like it as taste is subjective. They taste great prepared any way, but are especially good on the grill. Is it possible that you don't like all beef dogs? They have a higher fat content than a predominatly pork hot dog such as Thumanns. And a spicier flavor profile as well. Maybe you got a bad sample.

Boiled and on the grill. I also made one on the Foreman grill. I bought a total of three packages and they were each from different stores. My conclusion: my tastebuds don't like Best.

Here's the link, which also includes a mention of the Hot Dog Tour            http://www.nj.com/search/index.ssf?/base/l...er?livfd&coll=1

Thanks for the link, John. Very nice article (even if the writer doesn't know that belly lox isn't smoked). And that's quite an ambitious tour you've got planned. Good choice hitting Tommy's and Jerry's. Too bad you can't expand the content to include pizza at Spirito's!

Rich, all I can say is: De gustibus non est disputandum.

Robert's Market Report

Very sad news. It's a shame how all of these mom & pop stores are being run out of business by greedy corporations. Will any of these businesses be left in 20 years?

BTW, are there any other Tabatchnick restaurants around? There used to be one in Fair Lawn many moons ago when I was a kid (probably closed down around 1980 or so) and I thought there was one in NYC, but information seems to be sparse. I know they have a frozen food line, but I'm not sure if the restaurant in Livingston is the last one.

BTW, are there any other Tabatchnick restaurants around?

There have already been about 6 incarnations of Tabatchnicks in this location. The current one is just a shell of the past, mostly self-service, and really unmemorable.

For a higher quality of this type of Kosher-style deli, head 15 minutes down the road to Plainfield, NJ where Larry's on South Avenue continues a long standing Jewish-style deli with very good food.

• 1 month later...

I bailed, failed, just couldnt keep up. John's monster hotdog run continues as I type.

As it says above somewhere we went to Galloping Hill Inn, Tommy's, Jerry's (ha ha Tom and Jerry) Syd's, Manny's, Tony's truck and Amazing Hot Dog where I threw in the napkin.

And so we had - good dog, big roll at Galloping Hill - Italian dog at Tommy's great potatos - very sweet chile sauce at Jerry's - Syds lovely as usual - Manny's was ummmm Yech - Tony's with the HOT onion sauce - and Amazing Hot Dog where I got some take-out

tracey

going to have a salad now

Edited by rooftop1000 (log)

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Today was an orgy of tremendous tube steak. It was magnificent.

My favorites:

Tony's Hot Dog Truck: bold, assertive, dog with decent smoke, garlic and beef flavor, and amazing spicy saucy onions;

Manny's: a great, flavorful chilidog, with hints of cinnamon, clove and nutmeg in the dense chili sauce;

Syd's: a truly great hot dog, in a homey, old school atmosphere of counter service and colorful old timers who know what it means to enjoy a good hot dog;

Amazing Hot Dog: FINALLY! I wish we hadn't gotten to AHD so late in the day, when we were all getting a bit of hot dog burnout, but despite that, the hot dogs were awesome, huge monsters, and the fries were absolutely spectacular. Taken as a whole, AHD is a truly amazing hot dog experience. Had the HotBurgerHamDog (with guacamole, and cheese no less) and an Amazing Hot Dog (both split between 3 people!), and we were blown away by the quality, care and enthusiasm with which AHD does its craft.

Rutt's Hut: Also FINALLY! Despite being the last stop, it was a great hot dog, topped with that amazing secret, mustardy relish.

Dickie Dee's: Actually liked this version of the Italian Hot Dog better than Tommy's, good bread, good dog, awesome taters, onions and peppers.

I'll post a few more thoughts once I regain consciousness.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

I would like to thank Benzee and Coney Island Lou for organizing this event and helping me with suggestions for the itinerary. Lou, thanks for the name tags once again, and for designing the shirts.

Thanks to all who attended, as you made this tour so much fun. It was a blast meeting new people and seeing those of you who had attended past tours. We went to Galloping Hill Inn, Jerry's, Tommy's, Manny's, Syd's, Tony's Truck, Dickiee Dees, Amazing Hot Dog, and Rutts Hut. That's 9 out of a scheduled 11. We skipped Libby's due to time constraints and J's Beef was closed due to the death of the owner's father. Both will be included in a future tour.

I think everyone did a great job pacing themselves. It's hard to eat a dog a stop for 9 stops. Although some managed. Long Dog had 12 dogs. ScreenBear had 11. Little Dog had 8 by himself! Benzee also had a lot. I think 11 scheduled stops might have been a bit too much, but we were torn about leaving in past favorites and including new ones, so we decided to do a little of both. Ideally 5 to 8 stops would be perfect. First year we had only 5.

I skipped some stops because I live so close and have been to them many times. It was my plan to pick and choose. I was going to skip Manny's, but his wife shoved a hot dog in my hand, so what was I going to do? I love this place, but the dog, in my opinion, is average. It's also a little soft, or as Tracey said, flaccid. Syd's was great as usual, and my favorite out of the 5 I sampled. It is a 5 to a lb dog that is boiled, then charbroiled. Just a perfect blend of spices and a great snap. The dog is made by Best Provisions of Newark and is available to the public at their plant. It was the favorite dog of 5 out of the 8 people who made up the Munchmobile S.W.A.T. Dog Team. And that's saying a lot because we went to 87 different places and sampled dogs in 5 categories. Unfortunately Syd's will be moving when their lease is up in November. They are looking for a location close by.

Tony's truck served a great hot dog. Dirty water style. I look for 3 things in a dirty water dog after taste. If the dog has a nice snap; if it's served hot enough; and if it is a decent size. Too many establishments serving dirty water dogs serve tiny 12 or 13 to a lb dogs. Tony's had all 3. He uses a Golden D all beef dog. He prefers it to the more common Sabrett because it it is a little less spicy. But it is a high quality dog that you can taste even if you have chili (as I did) or hot onions. I took an informal vote for favorite dog of the day and Tony's had 13 votes to Syd's 14. In the Swat Dog rankings this dog finished in 2nd place in the dirty water category, although I rated it higher than the first place winner. It was also Pete Genovese's (Star Ledger reporter) favorite dog of the summer.

I made sure to save room for a big quarter pounder at Amazing Hot Dog. I'm glad to hear that they will now be open on Sunday. I usually work 6 days and don't have a chance to get there often. I went for a reuben dog this time. Swiss cheese on the bottom topped with a dog, sauerkraut, russian dressing, caraway seeds, with hot dog shavings sprinkled on top. Excellent. Maybe my favorite dog so far from Amazing Hot Dog.

Finally I split a dog at Rutt's with my wife, who was able to meet us after just getting off work. I liked the dog. She hated it. Such is the varying opinions at Rutts.

All in all a perfect day to sample hot dogs and enjoy the company of some outstanding people. Thanks everyone!

John the hot dog guy

Although I have no idea how many hot dogs I could eat in one day, this event intrigues me and I hope to make it to the next one.

My wife highly disapproves of hot dogs but you only live once.

"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well." - Virginia Woolf

• 1 month later...

I spoke to the owner of Syd's yesterday. Their last day at the current location will be this coming Saturday. Their lease is up and they were unable to negotiate a deal. Their rent would have been raised considerably. They will be moving to nearby Springfield. The address is 234 Morris Ave. Springfield. Syd's will be moving into an existing business. It's a luncheonette called Tony's. Both businessess will be serving their food under a kind of profit sharing agreement. It will take a few days to a week to make the transition.

Syd's originally opened in Newark in 1941. There were many owners in it's history, but the same great dogs, considered by many, myself included, to be the finest in Jersey. They moved to their current location in the Millburn Mall (still considered Union despite the name) in 1967. You may want to head down there one more time before they close.

John the hot dog guy

Thanks for the update, John. That location isn't at all far away from the Millburn Mall, and still convenient to I-78. I won't have a chance to get up that way for quite a while, so I look forward to your report and those of others once Syd's settles in. It's going to be interesting to see how the two businesses coexist. That's never easy.

Robert's Market Report

• 2 weeks later...

Stopped in at Amazing Hot Dog today. The name is very applicable. The dogs were excellent. Great taste, that snap, crackle and pop. Not like rice krispies of course. LOL.

Anyway, this place has a list of specialty dogs, different names, etc. and even bigger than that is the list of toppings. I asked if they had a "red onion" type topping and the guy informed me that they had a new topping -- "sweet and sour onions" -- that they just added to the menu.

So, I went one with spicy/brown mustard w/kraut and another with the "sweet and sour onions" -- and it was amazing.

Great place.

Eric