• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Houston: Rotisserie for Beef & Bird closing?

fifi

I got an e-mail today from a friend telling me that RB&B is closing and we are trying to schedule a lunch there to tell it good-bye. I can't believe this. This is one of my all time favorite restaurants. I am devastated. Does anyone know the story? I haven't done an exhaustive search of the local media (I have been living under my infamous rock for a few weeks) but there has to be something happening. Any clues out there?

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

All I can tell you is that today's dining guide included a mention that it would be closing in the digest portion. It was worded in a way that made it sound like it was off the grapevine, and there was nothing from the owners or the circumstances included in the mention.

Edited by Dignan (log)

I saw an clip from an interview with the owner, Joe Mannke, who said he was hanging up the whites sometime after Mother's Day. It may have been the writer's imagination but he qouted Mannke.

From the Chronicle, dated May 2, 2004:

Believe it or not

Restaurateur Joe Mannke is closing his venerable Rotisserie for Beef & Bird after 26 years at the helm of the west side's premiere sophisticated eatery. But he's not dropping the apron or the toque. Mannke will continue to serve up French tradition at his Bistro Le Cep.

Two restaurants were one too many for Mannke, who says it's time to write a book, travel more and enjoy the fruits of his long career.

Rotisserie for Beef & Bird is open through May 22 with the traditional Mother's Day brunch still on for Sunday.

Whew... I was afraid to ask about Bistro Le Cep. I love that place.

As much as I will miss RB&B, I say good for him.

I sure hope he writes a book.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

I had lunch at RB&B today with a friend that knows Joe well. He came out and we chatted a bit. He is indeed "hanging up the pots and pans" after so many years to do some other things. One of those things is indeed a book. He has been all over the world cooking and has a wealth of recipes and stories. He said that he has found an author to work with and it will take about a year. If that comes to pass, we will be all over that one.

Then I had my last Joe Mannke duck confit and bid the lovely and comfortable place good-bye. :sad:

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"