• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Texas Restaurants Known for Wine

Carolyn Tillie

So I've got this project I'm working on for my winery... I'm compiling a list of all the restaurants all over the country where we want to try and place our wine. I've culled these lists from Zagat, Wine Spectator, and Wine & Spirits. Texas is the first state I'm starting with - do you Texans think there are any glaring ommissions I should add?

Abacus

Addison Café

Adelmo's Ristorante

Al Biernat's

Américas

Angeluna

Anthony's

Arcodoro & Pomodoro Ristorante Italiani

Aries

Artista

Ashiana

Backstreet Café

Basil's Restaurant

Benjy's in the Village

Biga on the Banks

Bistro Louise

Boardwalk Bistro

Bob's Steak & Chop House

Bohanan's

Brennan's of Houston

Bryan's 797

Cacharel

Cafe Annie

Case Aspen

Café on the Green

Cafe Pacific

Café Rabelais

Capital Grille

Carmelo's Ristoriante Italiano

Chamberlain's Steak & Chop House

Chez Nous

Chisholm Club

Chow Thai

Churrascos

Citizen

City Café

Ciudad

Cool River Cafe

Da Marco

Daddy Jack's

Daily Review Café

Damian's Cucina Italiana

Del Frisco's Double Eagle Steak House

Deville

Fizzi

Fleming's Prime Steakhouse & Wine Bar

Fogo de Chao

French Room

Grape, The

Green Room

Grey Moss Inn

Guerin's Cellar

Hill Country Dining Room

Hôtel St. Germain

Hudson's on the Bend

Hugo's

III Forks

Il Sole

Javier's

Jean Luc's Bistro

Jeffrey's

Jeroboam

Kenichic

Kiepersol Estate

La Duni Latin Café

La Griglia

La Piazza

La Réserve

La Strada

Landmark Restaurant, The

Laurier Café & Wine

Liberty Noodles

Lawry's The Prime Rib

Limestone Grille

Little Rhein Steak House

Lola

Lonesome Dove Western Bistro

Lynn's Steakhouse

Malaga Tapas & Bar

Mansion on Turtle Creek

Margaux's

Mark's American Cuisine

McCormick's & Schmick's

Melting Pot, The

Mercury Grill

Mi Cocina

Mi Piaci Ristorante

Mirabelle Restaurant

Mockingbird Bistro

Morton's, The Steakhouse

Nana Grill

Newport's Seafood & Steak

Nick & Sam's

Oceanaire Seafood Room

Old Warsaw

P.F. Chang's China Bistro

Palm, The

Pappas Bros. Steakhouse

Paul's Porterhouse Steakhouse

Pegasus, The

Perry's Grille & Steakhouse

Pesce

Popolos Café

Prego

Quattro

Rainbow Lodge

River Oaks Grill

Riviera, The

Rooster

Rotisserie for Beef & Bird

Roy's Austin

Ruggles

Ruth's Chris Steak House

Saint-Emilion

Santa Fe Steak House

Sevy's Grill

Sierra Grill

Simposio

Steel Restaurant & Lounge

Sullivan's Steakhouse

Taste of Texas

Tei Tei Robata Bar

Teppo

Tony's

Tower Restaurant, The

Truluck's

Two Chef's Bistro

Vargo's

Via Real

Zinc Champagne & Wine Bar

Ziziki's Restaurant & Bar

Zula

Edited to add that I am more than happy to share this Excel spreadsheet when I am done... It is going to be a monster of a list!

Edited by Carolyn Tillie (log)

Hi Carolyn,

I know that Basil's in Austin is closed. Maybe you're thinking of another one.

Some other places in Austin who focus on wine are Castle Hill, Mirabelle, Y Bar and Grill in Oak Hill, Wink, Vespaio....

Gosh, I know there are more, but those are the first places I can think of that have a long wine list and serve many varieties by the glass.

In Dallas: The Riviera, Flemings, and Liberty Noodles are closed.

You may wish to add Randy's Steakhouse, Eddie Merlot's and Terellis (all in Frisco)

Iris, Jaxx Cafe, Suze, Aurora, Dragonfly, York Street (all in Dallas)

and Goodhues in McKinney.

Addresses and more details on these establishments are located at www.guidelive.com.

I was Exec Chef at Boardwalk Bistro at one time, and I know Babara Hunt is a liscensed sommelier (sic). Some restaurants that are hot here in San Anotnio that I don't see on your list are....

Silo

Cappy's

Cappycinno

Polo's at the Fairmount

Zuni Grill

In Austin...is Ella's and Ranch 616 still open? Ellla's had a great wine list.

Using Zagat, you will miss the Austin and San Antonio markets,

A few favorites that jump to mind in Austin

Castle Hill

Mirabelle

Driskill Grill

Jeffrey's

I would assume that some of the resorts or better restaurants in the Hill Country would have good wine lists, but nothing comes to mind.

Zoot American Bistro & Wine Bar Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I would assume that some of the resorts or better restaurants in the Hill Country would have good wine lists, but nothing comes to mind.

HillTop cafe in Fredericksberg has an amazing wine list!

xo

"Animal crackers and cocoa to drink

That is the finest of suppers, I think

When I'm grown up and can have what I please,

I think I shall always insist upon these"

*Christopher Morley

Hill Country Pasta House (Austin area/ next door to Hudson's on the Bend)

Restaurant has recently changed hands, atmosphere, chefs, and added a new focus on wine. They are now featuring private wine tastings, wine shows, and monthly wine dinners. We ate there recently and were pleasantly surprised with the new management and chef.

Ciola's Italian-American Restaurant (Lakeway)

Judith Love

North of the 30th parallel

One woman very courteously approached me in a grocery store, saying, "Excuse me, but I must ask why you've brought your dog into the store." I told her that Grace is a service dog.... "Excuse me, but you told me that your dog is allowed in the store because she's a service dog. Is she Army or Navy?" Terry Thistlewaite

Van's on Broadway in San Antonio. Yeah, it's a Chinese/Vietnamese restaurant(and a damn good one too), but I've never seen one with so many wines available.

Edited by franktex (log)

Frank in Austin

In Austin...is Ella's and Ranch 616 still open? Ellla's had a great wine list.

Ella's is closed. Ranch 616 is still open.

Another addition might be Moonshine Patio Bar and Grill, which took over Emilia's old location (and awesome wine cellar). However, I haven't been and therefore don't know how they stocked the cellar. Perhaps someone else can chime in here.

Carrie, how amazing! Congratulations. Can't wait for the spreadsheet. Can you do California next, please? :biggrin:

Cheers,

Squeat

You are so funny.... Actually California is done but I wasn't going to post it -- while these midwest states have around hundred or so restaurants for me to research, my NoCal list is over 300 names and my SoCal list is over 500 names long!

We don't want to talk about New York....

Hill Country Pasta House Restaurant has recently changed hands, atmosphere, chefs, and added a new focus on wine. They are now featuring private wine tastings, wine shows, and monthly wine dinners. We ate there recently and were pleasantly surprised with the new management and chef.

you must've been at the table behind us; the owner sat down and received his accolades, and then mentioned the chef was from Rainbow Lodge, of all things. We had a great meal and good bottle of wine for less than $80.

.............Roaring Fork has a great list, too.

Hi Carolyn,

I know that Basil's in Austin is closed. Maybe you're thinking of another one.

Some other places in Austin who focus on wine are Castle Hill, Mirabelle, Y Bar and Grill in Oak Hill, Wink, Vespaio....

Gosh, I know there are more, but those are the first places I can think of that have a long wine list and serve many varieties by the glass.

Thanks for all the heads-up on the closed restaurants! As indicated, these all came from *current* oneline Zagat information and 2003 Wine Spectator and Wine & Spirits lists.

Thank you all for helping me clean up my lists!

Using Zagat, you will miss the Austin and San Antonio markets,

A few favorites that jump to mind in Austin

Castle Hill

Mirabelle

Driskill Grill

Jeffrey's

I know -- I'm terribly limited in that respect and having to rely on the Spectator and W&S...

It is going to be like that in a lot of cities....

• 3 weeks later...
Hill Country Pasta House Restaurant has recently changed hands, atmosphere, chefs, and added a new focus on wine. They are now featuring private wine tastings, wine shows, and monthly wine dinners. We ate there recently and were pleasantly surprised with the new management and chef.

you must've been at the table behind us; the owner sat down and received his accolades, and then mentioned the chef was from Rainbow Lodge, of all things. We had a great meal and good bottle of wine for less than $80.

Rainbow Lodge in Houston? New York? San Juan?

Judith Love

One woman very courteously approached me in a grocery store, saying, "Excuse me, but I must ask why you've brought your dog into the store." I told her that Grace is a service dog.... "Excuse me, but you told me that your dog is allowed in the store because she's a service dog. Is she Army or Navy?" Terry Thistlewaite

Rainbow Lodge in Houston? New York? San Juan?

I just assumed Houston, but who knows? All would be better resume fodder for the lad than say, macaroni ghoul or johhny SYSCOrino's.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Judith Love