• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Spice House - Evanston, IL

The Spice House has been mentioned on a few Heartland threads as of late and since I love it so much, I decided to start a thread about it.

The only location I've been to is the one in Evanston (they also have retail outlets in Chicago and Milwaukee) and it's just a fantastic place. It's almost like a magician's shop, with its Araby-like aromas, creeky wood floors and hundreds of glass jars filled with spices, on shelves, lining almost every square inch of the shop's wall space.

Service at The Spice House is personal and friendly. Also, unlike Penzey's (whose ownership is related to that of The Spice House), most of the inventory is not pre-packaged. One of the friendly clerks will follow you through the store pulling jars and weighing products to order on old-fashioned scales. Your purchases can be packed into ziploc bags or jars, depending on your preference. The products at The Spice House are meticulously fresh and the selection is phenomenal. They also carry related items such as mills, mortals and pestles and scales to name just a few.

The Spice House also hosts occasional book signings and other culinary events and they are also very focused on linking themselves to their customers and the culinary community as a whole.

Here is a link to their website, through which they offer mail order service (as well as information about their products, services and locations):

The Spice House

If you are anywhere near one of The Spice House locations, I highly recommend stopping in. You won't be disappointed.

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

I've ordered from their web site a couple of times. I got some fennel pollen (inspired by Ted Nicely's "abstraction") and it's really wonderful. They have a nice selection of vanilla beans, and their paprika is awesome. I'm cooking some ribs rubbed with the Spanish smoked paprika right now.

Just be sure to go to THEspicehouse.com. Leave out the "the" and you'll get another kind of web site. :shock:

EDIT: typo/braino

Edited by edsel (log)

They have a nice selection of vanilla beans, and their paprika is awesome. I'm cooking some ribs rubbed with the Spanish smoked paprika right now.

Just be sure to go to THEspiceshop.com. Leave out the "the" and you'll get another kind of web site.  :shock:

YES on the paprika! :biggrin: I found some wonderful Hungarian Sweet, exquisite grade paprika there that just blew me away. There are some pics of it on this Paprika thread. They had at least 5 varieties of paprika on the shelf last time I was there (IIRC).

And yes, I even heard the employees telling customers in the store to be sure to include the the when typing in their URL :laugh:

=R=

Although I work at the local Penzeys Spices retail store here in Columbus, Ohio, I have found some wonderful things through The Spice House. The grains of paradise I got from there (yes, had to have them after reading "Cooking for Mr.Latte) are phenomenal and the staff is so helpful and friendly for mail order.

The Spice House was originally the mom and dad Penzey's store, they sold it to their oldest daughter and her husband (the Erd's) and then the younger Bill went off to make his own company (drama! J/K).

Shannon

my new blog: http://uninvitedleftovers.blogspot.com

"...but I'm good at being uncomfortable, so I can't stop changing all the time...be kind to me, or treat me mean...I'll make the most of it I'm an extraordinary machine."

-Fiona Apple, Extraordinary Machine

Although I work at the local Penzeys Spices retail store here in Columbus, Ohio, I have found some wonderful things through The Spice House.  The grains of paradise I got from there (yes, had to have them after reading "Cooking for Mr.Latte) are phenomenal and the staff is so helpful and friendly for mail order.

The Spice House was originally the mom and dad Penzey's store, they sold it to their oldest daughter and her husband (the Erd's) and then the younger Bill went off to make his own company (drama! J/K).

Shannon

Hehe, I love Penzey's too-especially their web site and catalog through which I place orders frequently. :smile:

Thanks for the info about the link between the 2 establishments. I knew someone would know.

=R=

Ron, I remembered the "exquisite" grade from the eG thread - I'd forgotten that you're the one who started it. I ordered some of that as well as the Spanish smoked. Haven't had a chance to try it yet (just arrived two days ago), but the color and fragrance are amazing.

The Spice Shop catalog mentions that the "exquisite" stuff is produced by a very small operation that may not be able to stay in business. Here's their description. Maybe eGullet can play a roll in finding them the market they need to keep producing this stuff.

Ron, I remembered the "exquisite" grade from the eG thread - I'd forgotten that you're the one who started it. I ordered some of that as well as the Spanish smoked. Haven't had a chance to try it yet (just arrived two days ago), but the color and fragrance are amazing.

The Spice Shop catalog mentions that the "exquisite" stuff is produced by a very small operation that may not be able to stay in business. Here's their description. Maybe eGullet can play a roll in finding them the market they need to keep producing this stuff.

Thanks very much for that link edsel! :smile:

Since I bought my Exquisite Sweet in their store, I'd never seen that web page. A portion of that passage does appear on the label of the pouch I bought at the store but not the whole thing.

And you're right. There's no better potential market for this product than right here. If you can't interest this crowd in such a product, there is no interest. Period. :wink:

=R=

You know, every time I walk past the place, I sneeze....

They obviously have a great deal of turnover in their product, which is why it's floating through the air, onto the sidewalk, into my nostrils, undifferentiated odeur, nay puanteur.... I think it's like going into one of those infernal candle shops...you can't tell the difference between things after you've been in there three minutes.

Every party needs a pooper.... :blink:

You know, every time I walk past the place, I sneeze....

They obviously have a great deal of turnover in their product, which is why it's floating through the air, onto the sidewalk, into my nostrils, undifferentiated odeur, nay puanteur....  I think it's like going into one of those infernal candle shops...you can't tell the difference between things after you've been in there three minutes.

Every party needs a pooper.... :blink:

Seems like their web site would be the perfect conduit for you. :smile:

=R=

My thought exactly; but since I live within walking distance, it seems silly.  I think I'd just call them up, place the order, and have them meet me outside... haachoo!! :smile:

Ha! A perfect plan.

BTW, last time I was there I noticed a sign on the front door that read:

"Please do not have your cell phone conversation in here"

...or something to that effect. They're doing everything they can to keep the place out of this century. So, on that note, the cell phone-guided personal shopper scheme is clearly out of the question. :biggrin:

=R=

But Ronnie, I hate the telephone/cell phone; why do you think I'm having a conversation with you here...online!

Maybe a cell phone in the store would cause some sort of spontaneous combustion with all the spices....

Maybe a cell phone in the store would cause some sort of spontaneous combustion with all the spices....

:laugh: Bwah! :laugh:

I was actually thinking the same thing...

=R=

I went to the Old Town location yesterday and it was a wonderful experience. The staff were friendly and helpful although neither of the two men who helped me knew which of the mustards is similar to Colman's. That wasn't a big deal since I think I figured it out myself. I could have asked to taste and that's what I really like about The Spice House. You can ask to smell and taste the spices/herbs/seasonings since most items aren't pre-packaged. I went there with the intention of buying only a few items and I ended up spending $50. One of my impulse purchases was a bag of freeze-dried sweet corn. Doesn't sound appetizing, but it is very tasty. Each kernel is perfectly light, crisp and sweet like candy with a definite corn flavour. They suggest adding it to muffins and baked goods or as a topping for soups and chowders although it's addictively good on its own.

Just wanted to pile on about Spice House. Highly recommended for both online and offline (I've done both many times). Lottsa interesting proprietary spice mixtures but I generally stick to mixing my own. Fun place!

Kevin

How funny to find this thread, I went to the Spice House just yesterday. Hadn't been in quite some time and a friend was going...I tagged along.

I was a bit disappointed to find that they didn't have a single red meat rub that didn't have smoke in it, which I find overly sickly sweet smelling. After smelling all the rubs (and getting a spice headache!) I decided to try some of the other mixes, Back of the Yards, Quebec something or other and a Pullman Pork rub.

Otherwise the vibe in that place rules. There's something pre-industrial about it, like it's straight outta the new HBO series Deadwood. Perhaps it's all the wood, the tin ceiling and the brick walls. I dunno.

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -Ernest Hemingway

:cool:

I try, when I can, to go there for just one item, maybe two at the most, and do them in insane depth -- taste every variety of cinnamon in the place to find the one particular one I want to use for baking and the one particular one I want to blend with sugar and shake onto toast, and the one particular one I want to use as a part of a savory spice blend...you get the idea.

I can't spend less than an hour in the place; I once spent an hour and forty-five minutes on a Saturday, Heaven help me, on peppercorns. It's just too much fun, and the people-watching is priceless.

:wink:

Me, I vote for the joyride every time.

-- 2/19/2004

My husband and I own The Spice House, it has been my family business since 1957. I just wanted to say thanks for all the nice posts, it makes us feel so good to hear all the nice comments. While we have three shops and obviously can't be in all of them, it really makes us happy to know our staff is doing a good job. As with many family owned businesses, we really care about our little shop and our customers. Most of our staff are culinary students at CHIC or Kendall and I want to thank them for taking such good care of our customers.

Patty,

Thanks so much for stopping by. It's really nice to hear from you. :smile:

I know that you host events at your stores on a regular basis, so please feel free to update us here on any upcoming event which you feel may be of interest to us.

And thanks again for being there. For me personally, it's a great pleasure to have your Evanston store at my disposal. I'm in there probably about once a month and I feel downright spoiled to have it so near by.

=R=

I have been to both the Evanston and Chicago location. While they seem to have a good selection they also do custom blending of spices. Some of the pre made seasonings they have contains salt or MSG. The level of salt is generally more than I would use and I avoid MSG. Having things made to order is convenient and sometimes saves me a step or two as I have a couple of blends that I would normally make myself.

R.L. Schreiber is a company in Florida that I buy some spices and a lot of other extracts and products from. The web site is www.rlschreiber.com and they have some interesting things like almond flour, Miso paste and lot of other interesting items not normally found at retail.

Living hard will take its toll...

Having things made to order is convenient and sometimes saves me a step or two as I have a couple of blends that I would normally make myself.

For me, the best advantages of shopping at The Spice House's physical location are 1) being able to smell or taste an item on premises and 2) the freshness factor, which is always high.

I generally don't buy blends, although the whole, garam masala mixture (grind it up at the time of use) I bought at The Spice House was fantastic.

Of course, once you have a vendor you can trust, and you know their products, mail order/internet is a great option since the variables are reduced. Still, as a shopping experience, it's hard to beat 45 minutes at a spice store IMO :smile:

=R=

WHT, we have been through so many versions of what the public wants (or perceives it wants) that it is pretty ironic. Remember 47 years in business! 70s & 80s, MSG was no big deal, it actually enhances the ability to taste and really far less than 1% of the population has any effects from it. Currently only 9 of our 300 products contain MSG and that is mostly because when we removed it from our blends that were our best sellers, the customers did not want anything other than the original blend, and complained about the lack of flavor. We informed them that we had removed the msg and they requested that we return to the original tested formula.

When we opened shops in Chicago, we just eliminated the MSG in the same blends because we felt those new customers had no frame of reference, yet the number one best selling blend (in Milwaukee) is not even in the top five in Chicago.

Also, even though we spent a whole lot of time trying to make versions of popular blends available with or without salt, now salt is the trendiest thing. I believe we have around 10 types of salt and have halted there because we don't want to become "The Salt House" (if anyone of you out there wants to start up that concept, I will be happy to feed you sources and clients)

Too much said on my part, but evolution takes place not only on a large time scale, but also on a day to day scale, which we try to tap into. All comments are appreciated and evaluated in a company that values its customers.

WHT, we have been through so many versions of what the public wants (or perceives it wants) that it is pretty ironic. Remember 47 years in business!

I love when I say something supportive of a company and it seems to be taken out of context. Yes, the consumer is fickle and sometimes will work to there own detriment. Guessing what any group or person wants is an industry unto itself. Being the exception rather than the rule in most cases I can understand both sides of the dilemma, as I too have to guess what people might be looking for, having to balance off the shelf or blend it your self. Cajun Spice, Jerk Rub and Chile Powder combinations can be widely and differently compounded. In some cases they remain true to accepted set of components and in some cases it is a hotly debated situation. In most cases it boils down to opinion and personal taste and ignores culinary norm.

What I want and or use may be so different than what a client thinks they need it can fry your brain if you think about it too long. You have to stock products that you feel are commercially viable and there is nothing wrong with that. My or my clients’ needs may differ for many reasons including the use of other products that may contain redundant combinations of ingredients. As I mentioned before I am glad I can get a number of the items you offer in a salt free version if I am willing to wait to have it custom blended. Also on a few occasions your people were nice enough to compound small batches of items I wanted for clients or to use as gifts this is helpful and a time saver.

MSG suffers a bad rap in the public eye it is the inner city youth of the seasoning world. In some cases the avoidance of it is nothing more than ignorance of how it should be used. A prime example is I can eat a pot of Lipton’s onion soup with no ill effects but my mother in laws beef roll ups will put me to bead with a violent headache. The same amount of MSG is there but a totally different reaction for some reason. The same thing with some snack chips, I can eat a bag of Doritos’s but not more than a few pizza flavored Pringles’. In the case of clients I think they take a cautious stance. I use MSG in cooking but only as a separate ingredient.

Salt because it may be a redundant item is something I prefer to do without in blends that may be used in product that have other salty components. Several of your blends have salt as a major component and I like the flavor but may use it in a recipe or process where I don’t want or need the salt. Since I would not think of asking for the formulation I am glad that I can get the same products sans salt if I call ahead. In a couple of cases I am using it as popcorn seasoning on already salted microwave popcorn, in some cases I am using it to flavor batter or flour used as a coating for a fried item and it just works out better without the salt.

It’s nice to have the balance of blending your own formulas, being able to get off the shelf or to have things custom made. I never expect one place to be the provider to all my needs, thanks for being one of the few that I count on.

Living hard will take its toll...

I've consistantly been The Spice House's biggest chearleader -- I think Tom and Patty have contributed significantly to the culinary culture of Chicago and -- via their website -- the country. I know for a fact that my cooking just wouldn't be the same without them.

One warning though -- If you are going to the Wells Street store, take change for the meter. I was there recently and went inside to get change for the meter. I was gone all of three minutes, but found a parking ticket on the car already. The metermaid's name is Nicademus -- sounds sinister, doesn't it? I only think of it because I paid the ticket online about five minutes ago.

Aidan

"Ess! Ess! It's a mitzvah!"

Thanks for your kind words. It is true about the parking and we will never make the mistake of taking another location without parking again. We theorized that the 70,000 people living within a mile would support a store! Live and learn.

You mentioned our website, and it now brings us about a third of our business. The interesting thing is that I was Vehemently against doing business on-line. I thought it was so anti-everything that our company is, a wonderful olfactory experience where you really have to come in and smell and taste the old-fashioned way. I lost the battle with my husband on that one and I must admit in hindsight that he was 100% right and I was totally wrong. (Hopefully he will never read this!)

WHT, are you sure your mother-in-law does not have it in for you and is trying to do you in with the innocent msg as the murder weapon?! Just joking, you seem to get where we are coming from. You just can't be all things to all people.