• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pastry Cream

Derek Wildstar

Will pastry cream keep in the freezer? I was going to make a batch and use it over the next three weeks for entertaining through Memorial Day. The recipe (Pierre Herme's) states that the cream can be kept in the fridge for two days but says nothing about the freezer. Any help would be appreciated.

I have frozen it and when it thawed, it seemed fine to use as a filling .. but not as a sauce under a dessert, as it is often served ..

Then there is this in which the pastry cream becomes the base, which can be made into ice cream:

Tahitian Creme Anglaise by Ming Tsai

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

I just froze 1/2 a batch of vanilla bean pastry cream from The Pie and Pastry Bible. Hopefully it will be ok.

The book says it will keep, frozen, up to a month, but that it thins once it's defrosted, and therefore won't hold it's shape very well. For use in something like a large tart, she suggests whisking in 1 tsp dissolved gelatin for every 1 cup of pastry cream. Everything I've made from every one of her books has worked perfectly, so hopefully this one will too. It's worth trying if all you're going to do is toss the leftover pastry cream anyway.

Gourmet Anarchy

Pastry cream and creme anglaise are two different things. Pastry cream is used as a filling and creme anglaise is a sauce.

I have frozen pastry cream (I make Julia Child's recipe from her "French Cooking" cookbook) several times and it has always maintained the correct consistency. I would not keep it in the freezer for more than a month.

If you are making creme anglaise, then I would not recommend freezing it.

Edited by Swisskaese (log)

I have frozen pastry cream (I make Julia Child's recipe from her "French Cooking" cookbook) several times and it has always maintained the correct consistency.

Which is pretty much what I was saying in my post. I have frozen pastry creme and filled eclairs and pate a choux shells after freezing it .. with no ill effects in either taste or texture.

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Pastry cream made with flour will freeze...made with cornstarch not. Made with arrowroot is ok. It all has something to do long chain amylopectins, or something. The weeping is called synerisis.