• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Suggestions in York?

suspect you need the expertise of Gary Marshall on York!

But my tuppence worth includes:

Bettys - for tea and cake

Meltons Too - more bistro like

Blue Bicycle

all depends on what you're looking for? I've always enjoyed Cafe Concerto on Petergate as a good pitstop during shopping if you're doing lots of sightseeing.

of course you could always hop on the train to Leeds and try No 3 York Place or Anthony's (see other threads?)

Hope you have a good time!

My hot tip for York!

The Tasting Room, 13 Swinegate Court East. just off Grape Lane.

Very good kitchen and interesting wines by the glass.

Also some of the best espresso I have tasted, including Rome.

Neither my wife nor I like the Blue Bicycle.

Meltons Too is good, but it is best to choose from the blackboard.

Meltons itself is excellent. He puts too many ideas on one plate, but they are all interesting.

Very nice in Rish, but we have not been recently to see how their new chef (from Winteringham Fields) is settling in. Desserts and coffee not very good here, so far.

The Lime House, Goodramgate is pretty good as well. Good chef and interesting wines.

Have a nice time.

The fish and chip shop in Petergate, dine in or take away and scoff it looking at the Minster.javascript:emoticon(':biggrin:')

javascript:emoticon(':biggrin:')

Martial.2,500 Years ago:

If pale beans bubble for you in a red earthenware pot, you can often decline the dinners of sumptuous hosts.

i can't disagree with any of the above.

melton's is a really 'nice' restaurant, food good, wine good, service good and tends to be- good value, especially set lunches/dinners.

i have always had an issue with the saucing, they tend to favour thin stock based unreduced/no cream/butter sauces which aren't to my taste, and also a pain to eat as they splash everywhere!

i have been twice recently and found all to be in order.

meltons too would be a good lunch stop off, much more casual.

blue bike is a popular place, has atmosphere but is not for foodies.

yet to re-try rish, given new chef it should be better and they have ambition, but get the impression it's not there yet.

tricksters lane is popular, menu hasn't changed since opening but they seem competent and may well have more specials now.

not tried tasting rooms/lime house but must give them a go.

other 'non gastro' places.....

the pizza express on the river is in a beautiful room and is always buzzy

there's a mad italian down the shambles restaurante bari which is english owned but italian run and is loud and fun, and food better than usual.

siam house is the only thai place and is good.

there's quite a few indians, and most have the same owners/menu's, most in york are pretty much the same standard, there's no really dodgy ones in the town centre!

nothing of note for chinese in the town centre.

living room have just opened across the river, although i despise the leeds branch, york will no-doubt go mad for this in the initial weeks so that's where the crowds will be.

other drinking places - around swinegate is pleasant (off stonegate) there's oscars, kennedy's slug and lettuce, kites, the punch bowl is a well run 'proper pub'

coney street (the main shopping street) has become a bit of a drinking run too, start at varsity (or judges lodgings) and head into town, in a courtyard near the river there's orgasmic, pitcher and piano, then across the road haha's then avoid yates's and head to casa then over the river to living room.

leeds is easily accessible on the train anthony's is open sat lunch/ dinner no3 open sat dinner only, both closed sunday.

have fun, raining when i left at 7am but sun is forecast!

gary

you don't win friends with salad

i tried the tasting room briefly for lunch on saturday.

quite a varied menu from sandwiches and omlettes onto bigger plates.

staff seemed helpful but didn't get much of a feel for the room as the girls insisted on eating outside, something that is rarley done well in the UK here is no exception.

food was fine, grilled sardines, sandwiches for the girls and a goats cheese, tomato& asparagus tart for me, it was fine but not great value at £7.95.

i couldn't find the website before lunch but have now (www.thetastingroom.co.uk) it becomes a bit more restauranty in the evening so i'll probably have a go at that too.

wine list was informative and heavy on new world with a few unusual wines being pushed.

like many places in york with the tourists being so important they try to cover a lot of bases, hopefully in the evening the menu is more focussed.

gary

• 2 years later...
This is a marvelous place.  About 15 minutes in a taxi from York.

Blacksmiths Inn.

Are you sure Sadie? I find the Landlord a tad pompous and over opinionated :biggrin: No, it's fabulous and we are long overdue a return.

J Bakers Bistro Moderne is a very recent addition to the dining scene in York.

Also if viable for you to get to, on the way there/ back.I think The Millbank in West Yorkshire is excellent and it's very close to the M62, which is on the way to Leeds and York.

Edited by Bapi (log)

This is a marvelous place.  About 15 minutes in a taxi from York.

Blacksmiths Inn.

Are you sure Sadie? I find the Landlord a tad pompous and over opinionated :biggrin:

just two of my finer qualities.

went to j bakers it is good and certainly the most interesting dining to be had in york centre, of course all the best cooking is in the sticks!

had lunch at middlethorpe hall last week. It is very convenient for the racecourse so i go reasonbably frequently :biggrin:

It's a beautiful setting but one of those places that i just can't warm to, everything is just that little bit more expensive than it needs to be, and just a little bit over formal than it needs to be, they pour the wine but aren't quite up to speed at re-fills i thought we must have finished our red only to find upon asking we had nearly half a bottle left, and it has an undercurrent of attitude about it. The first time i went we were asked to keep our jackets on 'because their chief executive was having lunch' it's irritating enough at gavroche but at least they've got the gongs!

Dining rooms are generally very quiet clinky -clink affairs. Food is good, breads were excellent. Service is usually slow, having a drink on the outside terrace is a lovely way to start a meal but i don't think i've ever got anything i've requested in under 20 minutes. Wine list is extensive but big mark-ups ahoy. eg sauzet bourgogne blanc 00 £27.95, £18.95 at my place (didn't stop me ordering one though :laugh: ).

The rooms are very nice, and i suspect most of the trade is driven via the rooms rather than the restaurant as a destination. (If i may be permitted a little trumpet blowing a regular customer of ours had dinner with friends on consecutive nights and they reckon our kitchen is better). Having said that i know what i'm going get when i go and i will be back over summer, though unlike several of their regulars i won't be arriving by helicopter!

I haven't been to the feversham for a while, it was bought by an ex-manoir manager a while ago so may have changed its spots. It is also a very attractive spot, and again i suspect it's more of a hotel than restaurant, the dining area though is in a big conservatory so it can be a bit echo-ey when not full. It's only 5 minutes from the star so to be honest there's no reason for me to go there over the star if i was in the area.

if you want to anything more specific matthew, feel free to pm me

Thanks for that Gary, i am planning to go up and see the place in the next few weeks and you certainly have given me an insight into what to expect. May have to come over to your place and see how it should be done! :smile:

Matthew

The quest for perfection will lead you to role models that will last you for life (Nico Ladenis)

The Feversham Arms has had a complete overhaul under new owner Simon Rhatigan. And very attractive it is too. Popped in and had a look ( whilst lunching at the Star last year) but have yet to venture in and try the food. Well worth a look I would say.

I think it even picked up an award at the Northern Restaurant awards. Thom?

• 2 months later...

I was in York last weekend with my husband and another couple. The guys had brought us girls there on a surprise visit (even when we got off the boat in Hull, we still did not know where we were going :shock: ) so I had not prepared for my visit like I usually do, with eGullet recommendations neatly printed out..

So for dinner, we randomly chose a place that looked good, and where we found shelter from the thunderstorm that swept over York.

Nineteen at 19 Grape Lane.

We had a really good dinner. Maybe it was the fact that all dishes had a sort of autumnal, rather than high summer, feel and I am getting kind of tired of summerfood.. we were cold and wet from the rain and the rooms are really cozy, rather dark.. we had red wine for the first time in weeks.

I had pea soup with black pudding and fried cod for starter, roast monkfish on cabbage with chorizo for main, and toasted brioche with hot blackberries and a white chocolatesauce for dessert.

I got the impression this is a new place.. staff was a bit lost sometimes and had to go to the kitchen to ask about ingredients after our inquiries.. but very friendly and efficient otherwise.. and we felt, not being used to UK prices, that it was great value.

A very pleasant surprise.

Edited by Chufi (log)

yes, it is a new restaurant. Well new owners the site has been there years and it has been for sale for a long time.

no idea who's running it now but menu sounds interesting.

you did well to find decent food in york without careful planning!

The Feversham Arms has had a complete overhaul under new owner Simon Rhatigan. And very attractive it is too. Popped in and had a look ( whilst lunching at the Star last year) but have yet to venture in and try the food. Well worth a look I would say.

I think it even picked up an award at the Northern Restaurant awards. Thom?

Stayed and ate there a few weeks back. First night was complete chaos, dreadful in almost every respect--surly staff, not remembering dietary requirements, over-cooked and under-cooked food. Though we were on a DB&B deal, seriously considering going to The Star for the second night. Eventually didn't, mostly because The Star was booked out. Second night was delightful, excellent, friendly staff (though the same people), wonderful food, couldn't do too much for us...Only difference was the manager/owner (not sure which) being in the room all night (who may be Mrs Rhatigan).

Erratic but with potential. Oh, and with a lovely swimming pool.

It no longer exists, but it was lovely.

That's odd- why do you think there was such a disparity over the two nights Bertie? Especially, if the chef and the staff were the same on the second night. Was it very busy the first night?

I remember the brochure I picked up showed the bedrooms looking revamped and rather nice- any comments about yours?

That's odd- why do you think there was such a disparity over the two nights Bertie? Especially, if the chef and the staff were the same on the second night. Was it very busy the first night?

I remember the brochure I picked up showed the bedrooms looking revamped and  rather nice- any comments about yours?

No idea! All rather bewildering. I think the presence of the manageress got everyone working properly, and it all seemed to just flow (as it should) the second night. Everywhere has off nights I guess.

Room was smallish, certainly for the money we were paying. Nicely furnished and some good touches, but compared to somewhere like Swinton Park (at not much more) for a DB&B break, it ain't in the same league. Yet.

Stayed and ate there a few weeks back. First night was complete chaos, dreadful in almost every respect--surly staff, not remembering dietary requirements, over-cooked and under-cooked food. Though we were on a DB&B deal, seriously considering going to The Star for the second night. Eventually didn't, mostly because The Star was booked out. Second night was delightful, excellent, friendly staff (though the same people), wonderful food, couldn't do too much for us...Only difference was the manager/owner (not sure which) being in the room all night (who may be Mrs Rhatigan).

Erratic but with potential. Oh, and with a lovely swimming pool.

Mr Wooster, would you mind telling us more of the food you ate on both nights and the differences you found?

Edited by Matthew Tomkinson (log)

The quest for perfection will lead you to role models that will last you for life (Nico Ladenis)

Mr Wooster, would you mind telling us more of the food you ate on both nights and the differences you found?

I'd love to, but I have absolutely no idea. It was about six weeks ago, and I just don't have that sort of memory. My complaints were more about service, the surrounding atmosphere and a feeling of complete sloppiness one night (which included the food) and then of being amazed how everything had been solved the next. Sorry...