• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Leftover barbeque

If you are talking pulled-pork, how about a barbeque Pastie (the savory turnover things they make in Cornwall and Northern Michigan)? Or a barbeque Samosa?

Would it be so wrong?

how about a barbeque Pastie

Would it be so wrong?

Sorry for laughing here but my first thought, and it is admittedly lascivious, was that this is something worn by a stripper .... :laugh: or not ... :hmmm: ooops, that is even worse!!

I do actually know about those meat-filled pies however ...

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Yes. I have to say the mind boggles when considering the possible role of leftover Barbecue in erotic entertainment.

Not that something along those lines hasn't been done. The world, if not wicked, is pretty weird.

Yes. I have to say the mind boggles when considering the possible role of leftover Barbecue in erotic entertainment.

Not that something along those lines hasn't been done. The world, if not wicked, is pretty weird.

"Ohmigawd, what is she doing with that spare rib???" :shock:

Kathleen Purvis, food editor, The Charlotte (NC) Observer

Take the pulled pork out of the freezer, whack off a large chunk, put it in a cast-iron pan over medium heat with a few drops oil, when it melts -- kick it up to sizzle. I'll often dice up some onion and garlic to throw in for the last minute or so.

Q -- At first I was adding bbq sauce to the pork in the pan. I think it was a mistake. I got a bitter burning flavor that I assume was a combination of the sugars and pepper in the sauce burning.

freeze it and save it to heat up just before boarding an airplane so you can taunt your fellow passengers

I was going to do that when I went over to Fat Matt's but after consuming a slab and a couple sandwitchs of the pork, I had to save any diginity i had left and not go up and order another slab for the plane trip home :unsure:

Next time I come to ATL, i'll leave my diginity here in california :biggrin:

Isaac Bentley

Without the culinary arts, the crudeness of the world would be unbearable. - Kate & Leopold

Barbeque Posole

It is really really really good. I have been known to smoke a hunk of pork or beef and hide it from the hungry hoards just to have some to make this later.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Barbeque Posole

It is really really really good. I have been known to smoke a hunk of pork or beef and hide it from the hungry hoards just to have some to make this later.

Thank you, fifi, for yet another variation to be tried and enjoyed with gusto! Can't be easy, secreting the chunk of meat to protect it against hungry invaders (or hoardes, as you call them! :shock: ) ...

and then having to explain its reappearance later in the form of this posole! Kudos on what appears to be a delightful recipe!! :biggrin:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

As Memorial Day 2004 draws to a close, anyone have any leftover barbecue to deal with?? :rolleyes:  a final recipe to share?

Only a new brine and rub recipe. I had been reading something by Bruce Adells about using a coffee based brine on chicken, so I put together the following recipe for pork. It worked quite well on the two 8 pound butts I smoked this weekend, giving the meat a "darker?" or maybe a richer flavor without any hint of coffee taste. I think this recipe may well become my standard recipe for pulled pork.

Brine - Let the meat soak in the brine solution refrigerated for 24 hours

1 Qt Water

3/4 C Kosher Salt (Mortons)

1/2 C Light Brown Sugar

10 Tbs. Med Roast Coffee (Folgers)

brewed 10 minutes in 32 oz water in a French Press

1 1/2 Qt Ice

1 Tbs Worchestershire Powder

Dry Rub - (all spices are from Pendreys)

Equal parts:

Worchestershire Powder

Ft. Worth Light Chili Powder

Ground Cumin

Light Brown Sugar

Tom Tyson