• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Spago, Beverly Hills

lizziee

As long as it wasn't just the curse of Wilfrid.  As for celebrities, the table behind us were certainly acting and dressing like they were straight off a magazine cover.  Extraordinary.

A likely sign they were not celebrities.

I thought it was Barbara Lazarus (sp?), Wolfgangs ex.

beachfan

Scandalous.  My kaiserschmarren were not ripped, torn or shredded in any fashion.  Should've sent 'em back.

They were sad. As for my food:

1) Pasta with truffles. I thought the truffles were a dud although Wilfrid said they weren't devoid of aroma. Very disappointing. The opposite of "redolent of truffles".

2) Crispy shrimp salad- This was a nice dish. I ordered it as a consolation prize to myself. Sorry I can't offer more details.

3) Scallops in an Asian (peanut like) sauce with noodles. This was tasty, but the balance between scallops and noodles and sauce was way off. Pretty soon it was just noodles. Also, the scallops were sliced into disks. I was wondering whether this is an unusual (and substandard) preparation; I certainly prefer whole scallops.

4) Meyer lemon soufflee with Grape Granita. This was the one inspired dish (the grape ice being a very nice contrast to the perfect souflee-like tart). Us Californians revere the Meyer lemon, I hope Winfrid is now a convert.

beachfan

Service seemed very nervous - I suppose Beachfan and I are fiercely intimidating characters - although the sommelier was charming.

Your sport jacket looked a lot like something El Jeffe would wear, perhaps you reminded him of someone in his past.

beachfan

• 3 weeks later...
As for the food, Spago is, was, or should have been, more than we experienced.  It was hearty, but not inspired.  First time in many that it hasn't been.  After checking around, other subpar experiences have recently been reported.

Unfortunately, our last meal was also uninspired. One of the things that I could always count on was the consistent first rate experience at Spago. Although the service was exemplary, the food was mediocre - a first for us.

We had lunch with southern girl at Spago on Saturday and I can report that as uninspired as our last dinner, this was a wonderful lunch. Hopefully, I can recount most of what we had, but know that southern girl will fill in the blanks.

Southern girl and I had the tasting menu while my husband whimped out and had oysters and a tuna nicoise salad.

As always we started with spicy tuna in a crispy sesame tuile cone.

1st course - sweet shrimp seviche with cilantro, pea shoots, tiny, diced cubes of tomato with a touch of sesame oil. The shrimp was sushi bar quality and the mixture light and refreshing.

2nd course - "Soup and Sandwich" - The soup was mushroom cappuchino with black truffles and the sandwich cold foie gras on thick brioche toast.

3rd course - Garganelli (egg pasta) with littleneck clams, broccoli rabe with bacon confit. I could have eaten 3 bowls of this - the bacon with the clams was an inspired mixture, reminiscent of the taste of New England clam chowder.

4th course - Skate wing with celeriac puree and black truffles. The skate was sautéed perfectly - crispy on the outside, but tender and moist within - another perfect course.

5th course - Story Farm Hills (I think) Guinea Hen stuffed with brioche and sweetbreads with brussel sprouts.

7th course - Grilled Carpenter Ranch squab with caramelized cauliflower, pumpkin chutney and grilled foie gras. This was my least favorite dish as the pumpkin chutney was overpowering for my taste. It did, however, serve to wake up your taste buds.

8th course - cheese from the cheese cart served with raisin walnut toast.

9th course - southern girl will have to describe this as I stopped note taking, my usual problem at this point in a meal.

The service at Spago is always perfection. Everyone from the GM to the busser couldn't have been more attentive. I might add that a party for the director of Hours was being given at 4 tables next to ours. We were not in the least slighted by being next to Hollywood "big wigs" and were treated as if we were also on the "A" list. It did add some interesting scenery.

Lizziee's review is right on the money. Our meal was excellent, as was the service...As for the squab course...everything had a strange yellowish tint to it from the addition of (I think) tumeric...the tint ranged from the bright yellow of the cauliflower to the "old newspaper" yellow of the foie :blink: .The dessert course was a plate of assorted petit fours, cookies and candies. Mr. Lizziee remembered I had mentioned a dessert I had enjoyed on a previous visit, a rendition of the "Twix" bar (not a menu item), and he proved to be the perfect enabler, convincing me to request it. Our waiter immediately said no problem, it would be a couple of minutes...and came back with requested item. It was prepared a bit differently-which since it was an off the cuff request- I won't quibble with (and came in a serving large enough for 3). The bottom layer is a very rich housemade graham cracker crust (loaded with butter :smile: ) topped with a layer of extremely rich caramel mousse and finished off with a layer of bittersweet chocolate ganache. The plate was dotted with chocolate sauce and caramel. Lizziee and I both agreed the mousse was a bit heavy...The last time I enjoyed the twix, there was a layer of caramel really made the dessert even more enjoyable.

For the record, we brought our own wine. We had

'95 Billecarte Salmon Cuvee Elisabeth

'00 Pur Sang Puilly Fume Dageneau

'94 Clos Vouegeot, Anne Gros

The Vouegeot was perfect with the hen and the Dageneau is always a favorite.

Beachfan, I can't imagine that your gender was a problem. It just must have been an "off" night much like we experienced a number of weeks ago. Hopefully, this was an aberration for us both as one thing I have always credited Spago with is its consistency.

• 1 year later...

Not sure I'd go tasting menu unless Lee was cooking for you "off the menu". My favorites

Fois gras three ways (with a glass of d'Yquem)

Beet salad

angliotti with truffles and marscapone

pan roasted turbot with leek spagetti (haven't had it but I doubt you could go wrong)

beachfan

Not sure I'd go tasting menu unless Lee was cooking for you "off the menu". My favorites

Beet salad

pan roasted turbot with leek spagetti (haven't had it but I doubt you could go wrong)

How do I ask them to cook for me off menu?

I have a good friend in town and we are going this weekend.

I had the tasting there a while back and it was SO much food. (I have a healthy appetite, too.)

The menu didn't specify what would be on the menu, and they ended up adding in a few courses. So if you do the tasting, ask the waiter to keep you posted on number of courses so you can pace yourself. Desserts are not to be missed.

I remeber a fabulous truffle risotto, a delicate and unusual tomato trio, and a great fish tartare.

Not sure I'd go tasting menu unless Lee was cooking for you "off the menu".  My favorites

Beet salad

How do I ask them to cook for me off menu?

I have a good friend in town and we are going this weekend.

I think just ask. While I haven't done it, I heard sitting on the Pato helps.

beachfan

Yes, maybe you should just ask. Also you might want to explain your good fortune to have won this

meal to either the hostess/host and to your server. Chef Hefter is very eager to accommodate

guests and I think you most likely could get at least one or two things off the menu. I have eaten

his food only here in Hawaii and man, that guy ROCKS!!!!!!!!! Lucky you!!!!!!!!!!!! :wink:

"You can't miss with a ham 'n' egger......"

Ervin D. Williams 9/1/1921 - 6/8/2004

• 2 years later...

I finally ate at Spago's. Well, actually, I had a couple of desserts in the bar area at Spago's ... Here are a few photos of my Spago experience:

gallery_24802_2986_105758.jpg

Lion Mountain Keemum

This tea had a smoky flavor, which is a nice change.

gallery_24802_2986_90295.jpg

Lemon: Creamy Lemon Sabayon with Lemon Coconut Cake and Meyer Lemon Gelato

I really liked this dessert. There was a nice little crunchy meringue hidden inside for sweetness and textural contrast.

gallery_24802_2986_7025.jpg

Infinity Chocolate Gratin: Dark Chocolate Souffle Tart, Brandied Cherries and “50 Bean” Vanilla Ice Cream

The chocolate dessert was good, but I liked the lemon one better. Notice the meringue underneath the ice cream. Sherry Yard must like using meringue. I couldn't taste the uniqueness of the 50-bean vanilla ice cream. I might have to try it again ...

Since the desserts were pretty good, I think I'll try the full dinner meal, including some foie gras, while it's still legal in California ...

Russell J. Wong aka "rjwong"

Food and I, we go way back ...

• 5 weeks later...

One of Puck's many fine contributions to the American culinary scene is that he showed the beauty of taking pretention out of the mix when it somes to getting a great dining experience.