• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

the city of brotherly love

malarkey

"dahling, don't you know we got the box at Devon this year?..."

which pretty much confines us to horse show food while we are there. Oh and Devon fudge. I can deal. I'm there for the ponies anyway.

BUT I am also going to be in Philly for a few days, and in New Hope for a few days. I've already started lining up my food itinerary :raz:

you know, it would be REALLY divine if there was a Pizza Club event while I was there... Problem is: its Memorial Day weekend. Probably a sucky time? Places closed, people out of town?

Any suggestions for New Hope? I noticed that Katie named it as a destination over on the foodie vacation thread. I'm going to be seeing some old friends while there and it would be great if we can go out somewhere tasty.

TIA!

Born Free, Now Expensive

which pretty much confines us to horse show food while we are there. Oh and Devon fudge. I can deal. I'm there for the ponies anyway.

BUT I am also going to be in Philly for a few days, and in New Hope for a few days. I've already started lining up my food itinerary  :raz:

you know, it would be REALLY divine if there was a Pizza Club event while I was there...  Problem is: its Memorial Day weekend. Probably a sucky time? Places closed, people out of town?

Any suggestions for New Hope? I noticed that Katie named it as a destination over on the foodie vacation thread. I'm going to be seeing some old friends while there and it would be great if we can go out somewhere tasty.

TIA!

Damn! I'm hitting the beach in Cape May for my first bronzing of the season. I'm so pasty white and pallid looking I simply must go and get some rosiness in my cheeks and prepare my ashen legs for a summer of skirts. Sorry!

When is your arrival? Which dates specifically will you be around? Not sure we can pull off a Pizza Club that weekend as many folks in addition to myself might be out of town, but if you're up for it and around just before or just after the holiday weekend I'm certain there'd be folks that would be interested in some eating and imbibing at some of our better establishments. Or even at some of our disreputable establishments... :biggrin:

In New Hope I'm fond of Mother's (34 N. Main), the Havana Bar (105 S. Main) and have heard good things about Marsha Brown, but haven't had the pleasure myself. Right across the river in Lambertville is Lambertville Station, which is a lovely restaurant where I've had many nice dinners. I've also heard Manon (19 N Union), a small and quaint BYO is fabulous but haven't made it there myself yet.

While you're walking around New Hope you simply must stop for an ice cream at Gerenser's (22 South Main). This place has the best ice cream around and the most excellent flavors. I'm particularly fond of the Magyar Apricot brandy myself. The place is a real homey little slice of old fashioned ice cream shop Americana:

Look at the flavors here

So what's up with you and the ponies? Do you have any horses competing at Devon this year? Tell us all about it!

Please feel free to PM if I can be of further assistance.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

In New Hope there is Esca, serving Latino food (just written up latest Philly Mag) in a very old building near the canal. I have also heard good things about Marsha Brown's from a friend I trust, in a lovely old converted church (converted church? isn't that a pun? :biggrin: ). In Lamberrtville Manon is indeed a lovely little French Bistro, BYOB, candle-lit at night, romantic. I have also heard very good things about No. 9 and Hamilton's Grille Room. There is also Atrio Cafe in Stockton down the river on the NJ side and Frenchtown Inn in Frenchtown NJ. If you are in need of good wine, stop in at either Phillip's Fine Wine's in Stockton (my favorite) or Welsh's Wines in Lambertville. This general area has some fine places to dine indeed.

"Nutrirsi di cibi prelibati e trasformare una necessita in estasi."

If you really want to, see if you can find out who the caterers for your particular booth.

Some of them do some pretty good spreads, although some probably are just okay.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

If you really want to, see if you can find out who the caterers for your particular booth.

ya know, I wondered that. Since we are in the "upper crust" section, so to speak, the food generally is better. At least we won't be eating corn dogs, this much I know.

Born Free, Now Expensive

ya know, I wondered that. Since we are in the "upper crust" section, so to speak, the food generally is better. At least we won't be eating corn dogs, this much I know.

I used to work a few of the parties for one of the caterers. It's at Radnor Hunt, right?

Can't remember our client.

I do very vaguely remember we won a food award there at least once.

If Peachtree and Ward, Feast Your Eyes, or Max and Me are the caterers,

the food should at least be decent.

Edited by herbacidal (log)

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

I am fully confident in our ability to pull something off,

if not a PC event, than a dinner to write home about.

Not to mention the semi-sordid stories of what happens afterwards.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

Damn!  I'm hitting the beach in Cape May for my first bronzing of the season.  I'm so pasty white and pallid looking I simply must go and get some rosiness in my cheeks and prepare my ashen legs for a summer of skirts.  Sorry!

OH dang! hey, I'm from the Pacific Northwest. We're pasty white and pallid year round. :laugh::huh:
When is your arrival?  Which dates specifically will you be around?
I'm in Philly Saturday (the 29th) till Wednesday morning - at least, that's the current plan. Wednesday & Thursday at Devon, then the rest of the week up in New Hope. I fly back to Seattle Sunday night the 6th.
So what's up with you and the ponies?  Do you have any horses competing at Devon this year?  Tell us all about it!
Oh dear no honey, I don't run in those circles. *sigh* We're talkin' Olympic contenders and current team members, heavy duty sponsorship, and lotsa old money. Its a lifestyle I could adjust to. :raz: But me and my best girlfriend have been taking horsey vacations for awhile now. We both have horses, we both ride. Its become our ritual bad girls getaway. :wink:
Please feel free to PM if I can be of further assistance.
This is awesome info, Katie. THANKS!

Born Free, Now Expensive

I used to work a few of the parties for one of the caterers. It's at Radnor Hunt, right?

Can't remember our client.

I do very vaguely remember we won a food award there at least once.

If Peachtree and Ward, Feast Your Eyes, or Max and Me are the caterers,

the food should at least be decent.

yes, its at Radnor, or very near there.. Since I've never been I'm not entirely sure! I'll be sure to report back. :cool:

Born Free, Now Expensive

Malarkey:

Then we shall plan to roll out the visiting eGullet red carpet for you sometime during the week, if that's convenient. Devon is about a 25 minute ride from downtown Philly. Will you have rental wheels? Or of course we could caravan out to the Main Line and meet you if you'd like.

Do let us know your preferences. We could take you to Tacconelli's for the best Pizza you've ever seen even if it weren't an official Pizza Club event. Alternatively there's Chinatown, all manner of restaurants where I've either worked before or know someone that does or whatever. Check through the PA forum and see what looks interesting to you.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

in the new hope area, i whole heartedly reccomend hamilton's grille room (i'm from the area and unfortunately there are a lot of restaurants, but many are lacking, at least compared to what we have in philly), but this place isn't.

and BYOB to boot :)

my parents have told me that the logan inn's food is vastly improved, they go often

And go to the logan inn or havana to have a drink outside and people watch :)

have fun!

Edited by kosoffj (log)

Malarkey:

Then we shall plan to roll out the visiting eGullet red carpet for you sometime during the week, if that's convenient. Devon is about a 25 minute ride from downtown Philly. Will you have rental wheels? Or of course we could caravan out to the Main Line and meet you if you'd like.

Do let us know your preferences. We could take you to Tacconelli's for the best Pizza you've ever seen even if it weren't an official Pizza Club event. Alternatively there's Chinatown, all manner of restaurants where I've either worked before or know someone that does or whatever. Check through the PA forum and see what looks interesting to you.

yea!!

I know its the first day back at work after a long weekend, but how 'bout Tuesday? My gf should be in town by then, and she's game for fun, always. Plans are not yet set in stone, but we shall see.

I really like the pizza idea. Someone else on this forum told me I'll forget all about the wood-fired pizza we make here if ONLY I get to taste a Tacconelli's pizza... :hmmm::raz: Its a challenge I'll take on! The question is will they be open? *sigh* so much food so little time...

Born Free, Now Expensive

Devon is about a 25 minute ride from downtown Philly.

I think that's way overly optimistic, but during the week in Philly is better anyway.

I do expect any East Coast pizza to blow any Portland-area pizza away, and Tacconelli's would be at least an above-average representative.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

• 2 weeks later...

I want to thank you ALL for your fabulous suggestions. The week is filling up fast and I just talked with my friend Leslie and she has plans for us Tuesday night, and then we leave the next day for the horse show. Hopefully I'll catch everyone next time I'm in town :smile:

p.s.: I hope ya'll watch the Belmont on the 5th. That's a PA bred horse threatening to win the Triple Crown, you know !

Edited by malarkey (log)

Born Free, Now Expensive

I want to thank you ALL for your fabulous suggestions. The week is filling up fast and I just talked with my friend Leslie and she has plans for us Tuesday night, and then we leave the next day for the horse show. Hopefully I'll catch everyone next time I'm in town  :smile:

p.s.: I hope ya'll watch the Belmont on the 5th. That's a PA bred horse threatening to win the Triple Crown, you know !

Malarkey:

<Sigh> Does this mean then that we won't get to have Taconelli's on Tuesday? Oh well. You should have plenty of fun over the weekend. And there's loads of places to eat and imbibe well.

I'll be back sometime late Monday afternoon/early evening. If you're still hanging around downtown shoot a PM and I'll gladly come meet you for a cocktail.

We'll all be watching the Belmont! Smarty Jones is the best thing to happen to Philadelphia sports-wise in quite some time. Should be a piece of cake if he runs anywhere close to how he ran the Derby or the Preakness. That horse has another gear that the other horses didn't have installed at the factory. DAMN! The literal picture of "eat my dust"! Didn't even look like he was working too hard. Head down and ears erect right over the finish line, lengths ahead of his stunned competition. Gotta love it! :biggrin:

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

Duh!

My favorite t-shirt around town and at Philly Park, the horse's home turf:

IT TOOK A HORSE......

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"