• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

low carb desserts

blackcat

Hi all

My boss has asked me to look into low carb desserts. Can anyone reccomend a book? For the short term I put a low carb vanilla cheesecake with an almond crust on the menu. I serve it with a strawberry sauce. I'd like to come with something a bit more creative.

Thanks

:smile:

I ran across that site on a random internet search and made the flourless chocolate cake for a co-worker's birthday party. It was pretty good. I have also seen a lot of recipes for ricotta sweetened with Splenda and lemon zest or chocolate.

One thing that's worth considering is how thirsty high-protein diets make you. And maybe you'd miss the fragrance of fruit, so herbs, spices, flowers, citrus??? Especially something for that bad mouthtaste that people talk about.

I don't follow Atkins, so I hope I've got it right, but how about a lemon and lemon thyme sorbet alongside or layered with those creamy items? Or by itself...or just extra-special sugarless long, tall drinks and iced teas?

I used to make a soft creamy cheese scented with rose geranium leaves, but after 20 years, don't recall details. :unsure: It's a classic though, so should be around somewhere.

Nut cakes, definitely - I used to wonder why anybody bothered with wheatflour when I first discovered European nut tortes! :raz:

Would some non-Atkins low carb dieters be tempted by small portions of weird and wonderful fruits? People mainly want to be uplifted and excited by dessert -- how about a plate with a lapel-ready flower (or something else portable), a twig or a tendril or two, and a few small fruits with stem and leaf still attached.

Starfruit and small polished worrystones (you know, the semiprecious or nonprecious type sold in dishfuls in shops that sell crystals etc) ?

I'm taking this too far, I know... :blush:

This is a website affiliated with a website which I help moderate:

http://www.lowcarbrecipes.org/

It has a ton of low-carb recipes, some are desserts. Most were developed by amateur low-carbers, so could use some tweaking to be restaurant quality, but they will give you a good base from which you can expand.

This link:

http://www.atkinsdietbulletinboard.com/viewforum.php?f=51

Has a bunch of articles written by our in-house cooking guru/foodie, and some deal with desserts and baking, again a great way to get some info for LC diets.

Fruit _is_ allowed on Atkins, but only certain fruits, and only in the later stages. South Beach I believe allows more fruits sooner, but severly limits your fat intake, so cream cheese and butter might be out...

Some sugar alcohols tend to have a strong laxative effect (malitol is the biggest offender), but there are others (Ethrytol) can be used more safely. Be warned however that low-carb dieters trying to do it right frown upon the use of excessive amounts of sugar alcohols (they can cause more of a glycemic impact that some companies want to let on) as well as the excessive use of sugar. Also let it be known that once someone has been on a plan such as Atkins for a while where sugar intake is virtually nothing, their tastebuds become super-sensitive towards sweet, so you may not want to sweeten your LC desserts as strongly as your regular.

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

Thanks for the leads on information. The websites should give me a good head start on coming up with some low carb desserts. I have to admit I'm a bit skeptical on the whole carb thing but the cheesecake I have on the menu now is hugely popular.

Thanks for the help

blackcat