• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Recommendations for Innsbruck, Salzburg, Munich?

At the end of this month my wife and I will be visiting Southern Germany and Austria. We're flying into Munich, training to Innsbruck and Salzburg, and the returning to Munich for a couple of days.

I have a recommendation for Hangar-7 in Salzburg and some random notes about beer halls in Munich, but recommendations seem pretty slim.

My wife and I eat everything I can think of so there aren't any limits. We're willing to spend for a couple of nice meals but I don't want to eat three stars every meal.

Recommendations?

Bryan C. Andregg

"Give us an old, black man singing the blues and some beer. I'll provide the BBQ."

In Salzburg a don't miss place is the Augustiner Brau---beers brewed by the monks and a large beergarden and indoor beerhall. Great Austrian country snack/lunch food--the type you get at beer or wine gardens--is available from stalls just off the beer hall.

Here's a link with a some more description: Augustiner Brau

I know there are a bunch of nice fine dining places in Salzburg as well--but we were usually just there for day trips and did not try them out. One restaurant that my grandparents said was very good and that looked very appealing is: Stiftskeller St. Peter (Peterskeller). It has dining in a beautiful old courtyard and has traditional dishes. Here is a link Peterskeller

(I looked at the menu and peeked inside to the courtyard).

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

I was in Salzburg in November and loved the food as well as the general atmosphere of the city!

The guide I used can be found here and offers a variety of local restaurants ranging from inexpensive to the more elegant, Pfefferschiff:

the guide for restaurants

If I might, a brief quote on the nicest of the places to try:

The "Pepper Ship" is the most acclaimed restaurant in the city of Salzburg -- even if it is 3 km (2 mi) northeast of the center. It is set in a pretty, renovated rectory adjacent to a pink-and-cream chapel. Klaus Fleishhaker, an award-winning chef, and his wife Petra make your table feel pampered in the country-chic atmosphere, nicely adorned with polished wooden floors, antique hutches, and tabletops laden with fine bone china and Paloma Picasso silverware. The menu changes seasonally, but look for scampi tempura with asparagus and arugula, lobster crepes, or Seeteufel (monkfish) in an olive crust with pesto polenta. For dessert try the sublime rhubarb tartelette with buttermilk ice cream. A taxi is the least stressful way of getting here, but if you have your own car, drive along the north edge of the Kapuzinerberg toward Hallwang and then Söllheim. Reservations essential.

I also enjoyed my meal at a place called Waterfall ...

Waterfall Restaurant

Wasserfall

neighborhood: Rechte Altstadt (old town, right side)

tel: +43 662 873331

address

Linzergasse 10

Salzburg AT, 5020

This restaurant can prove difficult to find, as the entrance to the Linzergasse seems to lead you into a dark alleyway. Surprisingly, this pleasantly named restaurant, which strives to highlight its more unusual aspects, has no garden. That said, it is maybe an address best visited in autumn or winter, or later in the evening. The dishes served here are can be described as traditional Italian cooking at its best and the wine list is fine. A small waterfall leads through the restaurant, so guests dine with the gentle sound of falling water - a calming antidote to the hustle and bustle of a city centre.

Edited by Gifted Gourmet (log)

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Late May--what a wonderful time of year to be in München (by a lot, my favorite German-speaking city)!

My last trip to München was about 8 years ago, but most or all of this information should still be current. On that trip, I also had the good luck to dine out frequently with a native who steered me to some great eating experiences. The highlights, as I consult my notes:

Weißes Bräuhaus (Im Tal, 10, near Marienplatz) is one of the best traditional Bavarian kitchens in München. I'm a sucker for a good Schweinshaxe, and this place has one of the best. It's also the place to satisfy your knödel craving. It's a bierhalle, run by Schneider-Weisse, that has been around for well over a hundred years. A bit touristy, but that in no way detracts from the quality of of the food. I tried lungs (lüngerl) for the very first time here.

Right on Marienplatz is the Cafe Rischart, the perfect place for your late-afternoon pastry-and-coffee fix. I still have dreams about their warm Topfenstrudel with vanilla sauce.

Be sure to set aside an hour or two to walk around the Viktualienmarkt, München's open-air food market. It seems I couldn't let more than a day pass without stopping for a Leberkässemmel at the Schlemmermeyer stand. Promise you'll have one for me while you're there!

Across from the Viktualienmarkt, at Prälat-Zistl-Str. 8, is the home of another of the great snacks in München, Schmalznudel. The eponymous specialty (which virtually every native, for some reason, calls an Auszogene) is a fried pastry shaped like a large donut, except that there is a thin membrane of pastry where the hole should be. Fresh from the fryer, they are heavenly, and the seating area is a very pleasant, quiet cafe.

Another wonderful traditional Bavarian restaurant is the Gasthaus Isarthor (Kanalstr. 2, at--you guessed it--Isartorplatz!). It is (or at least it used to be) quite inexpensive, and serves a lot of "home-cooking" type specialties that more ambitious restaurants don't often serve. (For instance, I happen to love maultaschen--a sort of giant ravioli, and I almost never see it on restaurant menus. It's on the menu here.) There's very little that's more satisfying than a nice big plate of käsespätzle--a sort of German answer to macaroni and cheese--and theirs is among the best I've had. Their Blaubeerpfannkuchen (blueberry pancakes) are superb. It's quite popular and fairly small, so it's often a good idea to reserve a table. (089) 22 77 53.

If you happen to be walking around the University area about lunchtime, the Gaststätte Atzinger (Schellingstr., at Amalienstr.) is a good place for an excellent, informal meal.

The best Biergarten (and I dedicated WEEKS to trying as many as I could!) is Zum Flaucher (Isarauen 8), in an idyllic wooded area on the banks of the Isar. It can be a bit tricky to find, but it's well worth the effort (take the U-Bahn to Implerstr., then the No. 57 bus). I can't think of a better way to spend a warm afternoon in München, but get there on the early side, because they start to run out of the best food by the middle of the afternoon. The traditional biergarten specialties, and all manner of grilled meats--their ribs are exceptional.

My restaurant blog: Mahlzeit!

• 2 weeks later...

I would rent a car, instead of training. Public transportation isn't really bad in Austria, but being independent is easier with a car. I grew up close to Salzburg and later in downtown Innsbruck. For an incredible meal, visit Gebrüder Obauer (two master chef brothers) in Werfen, close to Salzburg. The BEST Kaffeehaus, with the most awesome chocolates, is Cafe Braun in Hallein. A must IMO.

In Innsbruck I would recommend walking through the old city and you will find quite a few nice restaurants. I haven't been there so long, so giving a true recommendation is hard. Gasthof Löwenbräu has decent food in a great location, with a huge outdoor seating area alongside the river Inn.

Edited by millivanilli (log)

• 3 weeks later...

The Weisses Brauhaus is a must -- I agree. The other place we've liked and which has the best non-weissebier is Andechser Am Dom. This is a small, relatively new place just behind the Frauen Kirche. It's owned by Kloster Andechs, a famous monastery brewery just outside Munich. We've eaten dinner there and it's quite good. But mostly we like to hang out with the crowd (who tend to be more upscale professionals) on their heated patio. Everyone has been quite friendly and its an interesting scene.