• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

SC-style BBQ in NJ?

Shecky

Hi all! This is my first posting here; I've puttered around the boards randomly since I found the site a week ago.

In my ramblings, I was hoping to come across a mention SOMEwhere of South Carolina-style barbecue in north Jersey. I did see mention of Fink's and checked them out elsewhere on the net, but I'm still not certain: what style is the sauce? For those of you who aren't familiar with South Carolina's particular spin on BBQ, the fundamentals of the preparation are the same (if your idea of BBQ involves pulled pork, that is), but the sauce has a MUSTARD base and a very pleasant zing. Frankly, as much as I do enjoy the "red sauce" and "brown sauce" BBQ sauces that I've found around here, it doesn't hold a candle to mustard-based sauces in my estimation.

Just FYI: for those who are familiar with all the Texan varieties of BBQ, there are some that are also mustard-based... but they tend to be sorta lumpy and have, for lack of a better word, "stuff" in them that just isn't there in the SC style sauce, which is very smooth and free-flowing (unless, of course, you WANT it to flow right off something, like, say, a shirt :laugh: ).

So, that being said, does anyone know of any place in north Jersey (the closer to the Meadowlands area the better) that serves BBQ with mustard-based sauce? "Withdrawal" is a VERY poor word to describe how much I'm craving the stuff!

Most of the BBQ in Jersey is a hybrid of Texas-style and Kansas City, I think. Actually, to be more accurate, "BBQ" here more often than not means "it has BBQ sauce on it" (with BBQ sauce being that red glop, but otherwise the meat is just grilled or something).

Fink CAN make a mustard sauce (I've had it from him... on Pulled Pork), but I'm not sure if it's part of his normal menu, or just by request. The last time I had it was at last year's eGullet NJ Pig-BBQ & Potluck--a repeat of which is happening this year.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

Ah, well, it was worth a try. I do need to get up to Fink's sometime soon and try it; I found out about it from friends a couple of months ago and they rave about it... then again, I DID grow up in SC and, as such, have near-religious beliefs about BBQ! :biggrin:

Shecky its only Wednesday.

Even if you start driving tomorrow you can make it to Sweatmans for their Q. I think they open around 11:00 A.M. Remember only open friday and saturday. I was there about a month ago. Really good ribs, pulled pork , cracklin and sides.

Ah yes...thoses were the days...in Salters SC, eating bbq quail slow cooked in an old horizontal Coke cooler, mustardy vinegar sauce, cold Buds akimbo.

I have been here in Jersey (Shore area) for nearly twenty years and have yet to find anything approximating real SC bbq. No oyster roast, no she-crab soup, no boiled peanuts, no decent Hoppin John.

The closest thing to SC vittles we have on the shore are some fairly decent soul food joints, which at least is a start.

Pete Genovese described a North Carolina place in today's Star-Ledger. Cafe Noelle at 523 N. Wood Avenue in Linden.

Collards, mac-n-cheese, brown sugar yams, and much more. Fried chicken and waffles, ribs with slightly sweet sauce, and oxtails. Grits are on the way, he says.

Cafe Noelle

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

Thanks for the welcome, Rosie. :smile:

Howard, what and where is this Sweatmans?

Rail Paul, lemme 'splain a lil' somethin' to ya :biggrin: . The difference between SC-style BBQ and NC-style BBQ is as distinct as that between NY-style pizza and Chicago-style pizza... and engenders the same almost-rabid polarization among each one's adherents! Oh, don't get me wrong; I'll eat the NY-style stuff and enjoy it well enough, but it just isn't the same. :laugh:

Jay-bob... testify, brother. Although I did see a promising-looking fried-chicken shack somewhere on 46 in Bergen County some time back (just wish I could remember the name or at least WHERE it was). I'm going to be reduced to boiling my own peanuts - but that's going to have to wait a while, as summer's a-comin' and our apartment gets WAY too hot to boil anything for long. :sad:

• 1 month later...

Shecky:

Sweatmans is off the beaten path, as they say, exit 90 off I95, Holly Hill, SC.

I had ribs, chunked pork, pulled pork, pork hash, rice, pickles, sweet tea and cracklins. Its all you can eat, $7.50 and it is absolutely outstanding.