• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hangover cure

When I have a hangover, I add a small can of tomatoes to the blender with a few dashes of hot sauce, a couple Tb. of diced onion, 3 TB sugar, 3 TB vinegar and a pinch of salt.

I hate the taste so I just the plug the nose and slug it down.

--Jenn

The reason why drinking water (or gatorade) works for hangovers is that when you get drunk your body starts trying to absorb water from the brain. That's why you get the headache, bad feeling, dry mouth, whatever that is associated with having a hangover. Therefore, if you drink enough water, the body will not try to absorb water from your brain and you will not feel bad the next day.

Never ever take tylenol if you've been drinking. You'll get liver damage. Ask any doctor. Aspirin is also not so good, but I forget why (bleeding?). I think ibuprofen or aleve is okay.

Yes Monica, you were very naughty. Next time you get drunk you must invite us to party with you. :wink:

I love cold Dinty Moore beef stew. It is like dog food! And I am like a dog.

--NeroW

And for the next time, if you can remember to drink a lot of water while you're drinking the alcohol, that will vastly lessen the hangover symptoms.

Otherwise, it's Diet Coke for me. Or club soda and orange juice. Orangina is good too.

In GIG - I'd cross over the Avenue Atlantico and get a fresh coconut water to start (also called Daab in bengali and narial pani in Mumbai) because it is easily available late night and a good antidote for caiparinhia hangover.

In IST - I'd cross walk over to Itsikalal (sp?) off Taksim Sq. for a good hot soup (also available in any late night Irani restaurants in Byculla area - I wonder what they call it now :wub: ) an antidote to a long night with Raki

[With KLSaigal's Devdas hat-on] Should I go on about my many hangovers in strange places 'hick 'hick bevdabazi ??? :biggrin:

anil

• 3 weeks later...

What always seems to work for me is to eat a nice-sized meal of some good food, and it doesn't even have to be Indian :laugh:

Maybe it's psychological, but after waking up feeling lousy, I find that by eating a good meal along with drinking a lot of non-alcohol liquids (tea, water) I always feel better fast. I think it ties in with replenishing your body of fuel and fluids.

With a splitting head, food may be the last thing you want to think of especially if you've been making trips to stand over the toilet. Even so, I've heard it's better for your body if you don't have an empty stomach when you arrive at the toilet.

(EAT! EAT! It puts less stress on your body: or so that's what cruise lines tell seasick passengers.)

And to jschyun, thanks.

I enjoyed reading the article about Tylenol. I had heard it was bad to take with alcohol, so now I know more to the story.